Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Hand made In the UK strat?

What's Hot
brucegillbrucegill Frets: 729
Who’s making the nicest strats at the moment in the UK? I know of a few partscaster and aging places and some of these look great, but who actually makes them at the moment? 

Any suggestions? Vintage inspired would be more up my street. Light relic is fine. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1244
    @GoldenEraGuitars does full builds afaik, and they look pretty sweet
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2295
    The Eggle 96 Vintage are worth a look, although a little bit off the standard Strat track.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    edited October 2020
    Gray?
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2527
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Bravewood.
    Not sure if he still makes them to custom specs. I think you have to take what you get given.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 729
    Sassafras said:
    Bravewood.
    Not sure if he still makes them to custom specs. I think you have to take what you get given.
    Ahhh, good choice, forgot about him. A mate has one of basses and loves it - and I know he’s had some amazing basses so it must be good. 

Strat54 said:
    Many thanks. Will check these out. 

andy1839 said:
    The Eggle 96 Vintage are worth a look, although a little bit off the standard Strat track.
    Not even thought of Eggle. Will have a look but not sure these will be up my street, but you never know. 

Alex2678 said:
    Love his work. Just wanted to start looking at fully handmade and I believe SC are partscaster? Apologies if I have this wrong? I’ll check out where his bodies are made. 

This is all about wanting a strat, seeing the new CS fender prices, not particularly wanting my money going to the US and thinking I should really spend it here in the UK for once!
  • Get a used cs strat?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2149
    Gotta be that Rob Williams chap surely - His stuff at Birmingham Guitar Show stood out.
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1244

Alex2678 said:
    Love his work. Just wanted to start looking at fully handmade and I believe SC are partscaster? Apologies if I have this wrong? I’ll check out where his bodies are made. 

This is all about wanting a strat, seeing the new CS fender prices, not particularly wanting my money going to the US and thinking I should really spend it here in the UK for once!
    You might be right I’m not 100% sure though I have seen him sell some stuff with a caveat that he hadn’t made the neck or body, implying that he usually does, maybe drop him a message he’s a nice bloke 
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1358
    I’m aware there is some controversy over pickup positions, but, since Auden have addressed QA issues, might Gordon Smith be worth a look?
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • +1 for Bravewood, I know they're a bit contentious on here but my one is superb. Hard to get hold of though
  • If you want a full scratch build (ie, cuts all the blanks, paints, winds the pickups, depending sometimes makes his own bobbins), Zero One (Jeff Beer) is worth contacting via Facebook. His prices tend to inch up and the work is top end. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    If you want a full scratch build (ie, cuts all the blanks, paints, winds the pickups, depending sometimes makes his own bobbins), Zero One (Jeff Beer) is worth contacting via Facebook. His prices tend to inch up and the work is top end. 
    I was going to mention Jeff. He does lovely aged guitars, if I was in the market for an aged strat or Tele I would 100% go to him. I'm friends on Facebook so I often see his stuff.
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 729
    Thanks guys! Good few on the list that I’d not remembered or heard of. Much appreciated!
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    edited October 2020
    Have a word with @Danielsguitars ;;

heres one he built for Mike Bradley...

https://youtu.be/yz25mH8CxW0

And Ive been dicking about with this one for the past week!... amazing strat!...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6938
    poopot said:

And Ive been dicking about with this one for the past week!... amazing strat!...

Weren't you selling this at some point a long time ago in a galaxy far away?
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    merlin said:
    poopot said:

Weren't you selling this at some point a long time ago in a galaxy far away?
    Nope... I had a lpb and a car strat up for grabs...

that sonic blue strat has only recently been built by Darren.
  • SyncSync Frets: 289
    edited October 2020
    brucegill said:
    Who’s making the nicest strats at the moment in the UK? I know of a few partscaster and aging places and some of these look great, but who actually makes them at the moment? 

Any suggestions? Vintage inspired would be more up my street. Light relic is fine. 
    The price point at which the uk custom made 'vintage' strats really do deliver, is too close to a second hand fender cs strat imo. 

And on the quest for vintage light relic, buying a mint seemingly unplayed (albeit potentially an oxymoron) second hand lr fender CS strat makes the most sense. 

Nothing detracting from the aforementioned builders though if that is the way of choice. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1590

Another vote for Gray guitars. I played an ebony fretboarded blue strat of his at the guitar show in Birmingham this year. Utterly sublime. It may be similar cash to a CS Fender Strat, but that money is going to a small UK builder rather than a vast American corporation.

Adam

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5214
    Rob Williams does great work, I can vouch for his build quality as I have a drop top style one. 

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...