Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Joe Bonamassa - Royal Tea

What's Hot
NerineNerine Frets: 2521
Apologies if this has already had a thread. I did search for one. 

I added this to my iTunes recently. 

I’m really liking it so far! 

It seems a bit of a departure for Joe, and even though I find it a little uncomfortable to listen to (twee perhaps) due to parts of it being completely unexpected from Joe, it’s really growing on me and it’s nice to hear some variation. I wasn’t expecting it to have quite so much aggression. 
The first three or four tracks are really good. Most of my commutes dictate that I don’t usually get past that many songs, so I need to give it a spin at home in full when I get chance. 
The solo tones and guitar sounds are excellent in my opinion and judging by the tracks I’ve heard so far, I really like the direction this album is going in. 

Anyone heard it/liked it/loathed it/etc? 

Would be interesting to see if it sways some of the naysayers. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LPManicLPManic Frets: 1222
    Enjoy watching Joe talk about guitars. But his music is just meh. Needs to get rid of the suit and shades as well.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Just heard the title track. Thought it was dreadful. And I'm not a JoBo hater.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1847
    The new album is very good, his best in a few years prob. 7/10
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2527
    I'm not JB hater either but this is a dreadful record. I can listen to some of his others no problem but there isn't really a decent song on this. Sure he can play, the band are stellar but the songwriting is generic and lyrically cringeworthy. Look out man? Spinal Tap outtakes.
    He flew over songwriter James House in the middle of recording....and still no joy. If you think this is a good record then really you need to get out more. I've already deleted it from my player. 
    Oh and don't get me started on Kevin Shirley and his compressed production.......
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2572
    Strat54 
    Oh and don't get me started on Kevin Shirley and his compressed production.......
    The sheer number of good rock records that guy has murdered is bewildering.

Totally destroyed recent Iron Maiden & Europe albums with his lifeless mixes yet seems to be a go-to guy, I just don’t get it?
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    I've heard a couple of tracks. I like it more than I most of his work, but that's a pretty low bar. Seems like a lovely chap, but not my bag.
  • StefB said:
    Strat54 
    The sheer number of good rock records that guy has murdered is bewildering.

Totally destroyed recent Iron Maiden & Europe albums with his lifeless mixes yet seems to be a go-to guy, I just don’t get it?
    Agreed, Shirley is dire. His mixes make my ears bleed. I don’t get his appeal at all. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    I didn't know this existed. Bernie Marsden as co writer on many choons apparently, I like Bernie but I don't think of him as a prolific songwriter. Also with Jools Holland guesting, almost the definition of desperation. Some very mixed reviews on Amazon. 
    See if I can find it streaming and give it a whirl this week. I do quite want to like Jo and have fond memories of seeing him live but he seems to struggle to do anything interesting in a recording studio. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I’m not a Joe fan but I like a few of the tracks in this. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14266
    I want to like it but have to agree about the songwriting, it's cringeworthy in places and Joe's voice sounds like Kermit the Frog at times.

My favourite stuff he's done were some of the 3 Kings covers on the Live At The Greek Theatre album. I find most of his original stuff pretty hard going with just the occasional gem like “Drive” from Blues Of Desperation.

He looks like Stan Smith from American Dad with his big jaw  :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I don't get it. Is it that bad on purpose?
  • It’s ok, but I compare everything he releases to ‘don’t explain’ which is in my top 20 fave ever albums. I like his vocals on this new one though. 
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 779
    I dont mind the guy when he's talking about gear, and does a bit of noodling. But his actual music is far too beige for me. 

He can play for sure, but his tunes don't exactly make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2648
    tFB Trader
    And another..  Just as bland in every way...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2020
    “Look out man, I’m coming down the pike”

• I prefer his older stuff, it's all now so over produced and written to a formula and lacking the agression he used to have in his playing when he had something to proove.
    Naw, I'm sorry. Joe is fantastic talking about gear and showing his guitars. This is a pure piss take.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    He must be hoping some of this will get picked up by ad agencies. E.g. ad campaign for Halfords, "Look out man I'm coming down the pike, going to Halfords to buy me a bike."
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom