Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Joe Bonamassa - Royal Tea

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1847
    “It angers me how scholars associate the blues strictly with tragedy”... B.B. King

I think you’d struggle to find a single remaining bluesman from the “golden era”...not many left right enough, who’d find issue with Joe Bonamassa keeping the tradition alive.

Ironic how pretentious some people’s opinions on this subject are. JB wasn’t “a bedroom player who got good”. He was playing live with BB King at 12years old.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7249
    Mick Hucknall played with BB King. Really makes you think, eh?

Joe B is an industry. The industry is 'watered down blues-influenced music'. It's completely valid has clearly has a big audience. It's just not my bag and I look for authenticity in my music as opposed to someone giving me a all singing stage show all the edges rounded off impression of various types of music. 

Of course people who make money out of playing blues music are not going to knock people who champion blues music. But do you reckon Buddy Guy listens to Joe B at home?
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    soma1975 said:

Joe B is an industry. The industry is 'watered down blues-influenced music'. It's completely valid has clearly has a big audience. It's just not my bag and I look for authenticity in my music as opposed to someone giving me a all singing stage show all the edges rounded off impression of various types of music. 

Of course people who make money out of playing blues music are not going to knock people who champion blues music. But do you reckon Buddy Guy listens to Joe B at home?
    FWIW Mick is a big fan of blues and soul and made a very fine blues album ( as well as appearing on record and live with BB). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1847
    edited October 2020
    Authenticity being what..Black? Previous occupation on a cotton field? Drug addiction/ alcoholism? Low socioeconomic status? Music isn’t real unless a musician satisfies one or more of these?

If the actual music isn’t your thing, fair enough. Plenty of music around that’s not my bag too. Like I said, the authenticity argument (in 2020) seems a bit pretentious to me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2020
    TINMAN82 said:
    Authenticity being what..Black? Previous occupation on a cotton field? Drug addiction/ alcoholism? Low socioeconomic status? Music isn’t real unless you’re satisfied one or more of these apply?

If the actual music isn’t your thing, fair enough. Plenty of music around that’s not my bag too. Like I said, the authenticity argument (in 2020) seems a bit pretentious to me. 

Authenticity being believing what you are singing, no matter what this is. An album cover with the hard work-stained hands of a man from the fields (not necessarily cotton) is frankly laughable except as part of the blues theme park ride. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    soma1975 said:

FWIW Mick is a big fan of blues and soul and made a very fine blues album ( as well as appearing on record and live with BB). 
    That reads a lot better if you read it in Alan Partridge's voice. 

7reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I wholly agree Joe B’s original music is tedious to the extreme, and his ‘performance’ voice so contrived to the point of pastiche, but having been up close and personal can attest he can play like a mo’fo off the cuff, and has earned his dues in that regard. 
    Inspiration and a gift for melody/harmony are much, much harder to come by than technical chops, and stems from true artistic talent, and I don’t believe he even aspires to achieve such a thing really..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oh the guy can play his arse off. I love when he's demonstrating other people's styles or songs in an informal setting. 

• LPManicLPManic Frets: 1222
    Somebody used the word above in a different context but it is the perfect word for JB: naff.

That is exactly what he is: naff. 

From the suits and shades to the crap songs and the crap voice. Pure naff.

That doesn't mean that he can't play. He obviously can. But Jesus there is nothing deeper in there. Embarrassing.
  • I’m sure the album comes with a free tea bag 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    soma1975 said:
    soma1975 said:

That reads a lot better if you read it in Alan Partridge's voice. 
    You have a point there. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kinkin Frets: 1016
    The album would have to come with a free tea bagging before I would even consider buying it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 222
    I kind of prefer him when he's got someone else singing.  Great player but his solo tunes don't rock my chod.
  • Barnezy said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    Barnezy said:
    A guy playing blues on a $300k LP does make me laugh.
    Because blues as a genre isn’t worthy of an expensive vintage guitar? Is Kirk Hammet playing thrash metal on Greeny more deserving? Some chill required methinks.
    It's just ironic. Blues was created from the hardship of life by ex-slaves and people from extreme poverty on instruments that matched that life. 

Now some privileged white geek tries to emulate the same music on a $300k guitar to middle-class white audiences.

I'm a fan of blues, just not of JB. Although his stuff may be technically good, I find it very souless.
    What makes you think hes priveliged he worked his F'in arse off
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3346
    edited November 2020
    Schnozz said:
    He was charging £100 a ticket in Carlisle - You can buy a house for that there.
    Yes and now they have a covid offer - buy one get 7 free
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1529
    edited November 2020
    Barnezy said:

What makes you think hes priveliged he worked his F'in arse off
    I don't think anyone disputes Bonamassa has worked hard but I think he also has a fairly privileged background. His father owned a musical instrument dealership or something like that. He's like an American Lee Anderton but with more skill.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Can I just say:
    Good Luck Joe B. And Good Luck Joe B.