Danish Pete's new Les Paul

What's Hot

Comments

• MarchMarch Frets: 300
    Both would be massively improved with EMGs.

Do not forget the Floyd.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Are you positive it's unpotted pickups in Pete's Les Paul? They say it's a 2016 model and the switch plate cover is True Historic, which would date it to 2015 or 2016. Either way though it would be potted custombuckers.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14266
    edited October 2020
    Are you positive it's unpotted pickups in Pete's Les Paul? They say it's a 2016 model and the switch plate cover is True Historic, which would date it to 2015 or 2016. Either way though it would be potted custombuckers.
    Yeah, you're right, I hadn't picked uo that it was an older model they had lying around. Scrub that then, it's the Tom Murphy scalpel marks letting all the tone out after all. Who knew? 

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 834
    I'm sure I have seen a video of Murphy painting them too.
    I also saw a video of Danish Pete attempting to 'age' his goldtop, to match one of the others guitar, some things can not be unseen.
    Shudder......
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • enjoenjo Frets: 286
    The tone control bit made me chuckle - I've had the same thing before at a jam night but with amps - switching from playing someone's Rift 18 to a Peavy Bandit had me desperately searching for the tone knob on my guitar thinking I'd accidentally rolled it off... I hadn't.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2161
    Who gigs with unpotted pickups? 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Correct me if i am wrong, Tom Murphy doesn't actually build the guitar, he merely put dings on it right?  So any idea that it sounds better just because it's Tom Murphy aged would be illogical. 
    Unless the reality is that the "only pickups matter" guys are correct and everything else that affects the perceived sound of the guitar is all in the head of the player based on perceptions and expectations.

If that's they case (which might be, we don't know) then the relic job would be just as important as anything else in the building process.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13736
    Pete reads the Fretboard I think, though if he's registered I don't know his username (never seen a danishpete on here...)

I almost bought one of his purple squier strats but they sold out so quick I didn't have time to ok the purchase with the wife!

Gotta hand it to him and Lee building that brand around his purple tele.  He is an excellent player.

First time I saw him was on a Girls Aloud DVD, he played a great little solo for "I'll Stand By You"!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • diapdiap Frets: 135
    ThorpyFX said:
     and in petes hands it was just sublime.

And this is the rub.

Pete can make an afinity Squier sound good and I could make his Lester sound bad!
    All the rest is just cork sniffing fatuousness.

But hey, folk are making money out of it so it must be good, right?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 192
    Giving my opinion, cause that’s we all do here, right?

i honestly believe that the difference in two very similar guitars is just as likely to be 90% in the wood, and 10% in the pickups as the other way round.

if you’ve ever run the racks in a mega-store, or owned two “identical” guitars, then it’s quite clear that you can put the same set of pickups into two guitars, which look the same, and end up with dramatically different sounding guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    thegummy said:
    Correct me if i am wrong, Tom Murphy doesn't actually build the guitar, he merely put dings on it right?  So any idea that it sounds better just because it's Tom Murphy aged would be illogical. 
    Unless the reality is that the "only pickups matter" guys are correct and everything else that affects the perceived sound of the guitar is all in the head of the player based on perceptions and expectations.

If that's they case (which might be, we don't know) then the relic job would be just as important as anything else in the building process.
    You mean I can make my guitar sound better if I put a sticker on it?

Amazing!
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1591
    jeztone2 said:
    Anyone using an older Gibson.  I also have some unpotted BK pickups that I use.  It really depends what you are playing.  For blues and classic rock, I like the sound of unpotted pickups.  I'm not using lots of gain, but I can get into really nice harmonic feedback and they suit me
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
     Andertons new Les Paul advert video ?
  • Mudcrutch said:
     Andertons new Les Paul advert video ?
    Imagine that, a guitar store advertising guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    thegummy said:

You mean I can make my guitar sound better if I put a sticker on it?

Amazing!
    Maybe not you but someone who believes stickers affect tone definitely can.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14266
    edited October 2020
    jeztone2 said:
    Pretty much every band with a guitarist who played a Gibson in the 50s, 60s and 70s. Not sure if you heard any of them?  =)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I love this idea the best of the best are selected, then finished.

How do they know how good a guitar will be? And if they can tell that... Why don't they make them all good? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I love this idea the best of the best are selected, then finished.

How do they know how good a guitar will be? And if they can tell that... Why don't they make them all good? 
    Then they wouldn't be able to charge extra to the gullible few.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    Clearly there is a difference in sound between the two guitars but I wonder if a tad more treble on the amp might make the darker one sound more like Pete’s? 

The other interesting thing to me why Pete would want a Les Paul in the first place. On a Strat or a Tele he has an identifiable style - on the LP he sounds much more generic....
  • Clearly there is a difference in sound between the two guitars but I wonder if a tad more treble on the amp might make the darker one sound more like Pete’s? 

The other interesting thing to me why Pete would want a Les Paul in the first place. On a Strat or a Tele he has an identifiable style - on the LP he sounds much more generic....
    Or tweaking pickup heights 

Or moving the mic a mm or two 

Or using a different pick material 

Or replacing pickups so they're the same 

Etc. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom