Danish Pete's new Les Paul

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2161
    edited October 2020
    jeztone2 said:
    Who gigs with unpotted pickups? 
    Pretty much every band with a guitarist who played a Gibson in the 50s, 60s and 70s. Not sure if you heard any of them? 
    My experience of unpotted pickups is of them shrieking horribly, I don’t play with that much gain either. So I have no understanding of why someone would want that?  Especially now. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3897
    What a pair of bellends. 
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 779
    Nothing but another Andertons marketing video.  A load of old flannel imho. They're good at getting people to eat it up though, I'll give them that.

I wonder how many decades Jimi and Eric raided the racks for "the one", before they could play like gods and write a classic or two.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    Clearly there is a difference in sound between the two guitars but I wonder if a tad more treble on the amp might make the darker one sound more like Pete’s? 

The other interesting thing to me why Pete would want a Les Paul in the first place. On a Strat or a Tele he has an identifiable style - on the LP he sounds much more generic....
    Or tweaking pickup heights 

Or moving the mic a mm or two 

Or using a different pick material 

Or replacing pickups so they're the same 

Etc. 
    Totally agree with this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Gerz6558 said:
    Nothing but another Andertons marketing video.  A load of old flannel imho. They're good at getting people to eat it up though, I'll give them that.

I wonder how many decades Jimi and Eric raided the racks for "the one", before they could play like gods and write a classic or two.
    That can pretty much be applied to the majority of stuff talked about on guitar forums - we spend so much time obsessing over minute details and subtleties that essentially have barely any to no effect on the music we play and that the great guitar players who played all the best music likely never even thought or cared about.

At the moment I'm watching an audio engineering video and it's even truer in that world - I think people watching this might make the assumption that the guy doing it has mixed a few big hit records so he must know what he's doing and everything he's doing must be important but really someone could take away 90%+ of all his processing and almost no one would even notice, never mind care because it's the song and the performance that made them hits and that people enjoy!
  • VintageVintage Frets: 97
    Unpotted pick up are more microphonic, so tend or could be a bit more sensible at tone wood. I love microphonic pickups, they are less controllable, but for me, more dinamic.
    Obviously if you use much more gain, they squeal, but for blues or rockand roll, they are amazing. IMHO
  • xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 574
    jeztone2 said:
    jeztone2 said:
    Pretty much every band with a guitarist who played a Gibson in the 50s, 60s and 70s. Not sure if you heard any of them? 
    My experience of unpotted pickups is of them shrieking horribly, I don’t play with that much gain either. So I have no understanding of why someone would want that?  Especially now. 
    I play with unpotted pickups pretty much exclusively when gigging and recording and don’t have any issues with squeal, even when stacking overdrives into an already crunchy tweed amp. One tip with humbuckers that really helps is to secure the pickup covers with double-sided tape on the underside. Air between the cover and the bobbin can be one of the main causes of the shrill squealing you describe when playing at volume. 
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1462
    edited October 2020
    jeztone2 said:
    I did regularly pre-Covid and have done for years. No issues at all and to be honest no idea what the fuss is about, they’re absolutely fine unpotted as long as they’re from reputable pickup winders. And I use a buzzaround type fuzz so very high gain!
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1462
    johnhe said:
    Giving my opinion, cause that’s we all do here, right?

i honestly believe that the difference in two very similar guitars is just as likely to be 90% in the wood, and 10% in the pickups as the other way round.

if you’ve ever run the racks in a mega-store, or owned two “identical” guitars, then it’s quite clear that you can put the same set of pickups into two guitars, which look the same, and end up with dramatically different sounding guitars.
    100% this
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726
    jeztone2 said:
    jeztone2 said:

The ones I've used didn't squeal horribly.   I've had them on a Tokai Love Rock, a Les Paul, and a Strat.  There may have been some other issue with the pickups you were using.

I think the best option is lightly potted pickups.  You keep most of the dynamics, but they soud a bit better with more gain.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2527
    Shock news.....two guitars made six years apart sound different. How daft are we guitar buyers? Tom Murphy doesn't do as much work to the guitars these days as Gibson would have you believe. He heads up the team in the Murphy Lab....he's not sat there rubbing guitars all day. The legend and myth have been created.....sit back and let the dollars roll in.
  • Mudcrutch said:
     Andertons new Les Paul advert video ?
    Imagine that, a guitar store advertising guitars.
    Yeah it’s getting a tad bit boring now though.
    Same old same old