Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Headstock Decal

What's Hot

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    DeeTee said:
    My partscaster has a Mighty Mite neck that the previous owner stuck a Fender logo on. I don't like it. I hate that he put a Custom Shop logo on the back.

Thing is, it's already on there, and I'm not sure I could remove it without marking the headstock (it's satin).

At some point I'm going to get drunk with a sander and it's going to end badly.
    I'd take a marked headstock over a fake logo every day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Interesting post. I bought a guitar made by RLP, Liverpool, and refinished it. It now has no headstock logo, which looks a bit odd to me. Looking to get some abalone dots on the headstock, so it’s not just blank.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    Devil#20 said:k
    I've seen quite a few guitars for sale (exclusively fender style guitars) with Fender decals on the headstock but the ads clearly stating they are not Fenders and instead are partscasters.
    Local facebook groups are full of this crap. They seem to think admitting it makes it less illegal.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    If you're doing a partscaster - be proud -make your own - Rothko & Frost decals are ace !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    IMG_1875.JPG 1017.7K
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 192
    I personally really, really dislike fake logos. But as for a personalised logo or blank headstock, I think that a personal logo probably looks best. But that’s purely a matter of taste.
  • My own view is that I like to see a logo of some sort on the headstock. I don't even mind if it says "Encore" and the personalised ones in this thread look really good. I think my eyes just expect to see some words.

I recall that there was a thread on here some time ago where someone built a partscaster and added a Fender decal. I think the reasoning was that the builder wanted to add it for his own reasons, had no intention of selling and didn't mind what others thought. 

• SargeSarge Frets: 2441
    If I'm buying a branded guitar then I want the original branding/headstock logo so any future sales are easier.
    If I'm restoring/refinishing a branded guitar I want the correct logo.

However when I'm putting my partscasters together, I don't want any logo at all because A: they're not branded and B: I quite like the mystique of a blank headstock. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Jalapeno said:
    If you're doing a partscaster - be proud -make your own - Rothko & Frost decals are ace !

Isn’t it only a Telecaster if its manufactured by FMIC...?
    ;)

so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• I don't like the look of a blank headstock. Just looks unfinished or something. Doesn't need to say anything in particular though. 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Sarge said:
    If I'm buying a branded guitar then I want the original branding/headstock logo so any future sales are easier.
    If I'm restoring/refinishing a branded guitar I want the correct logo.

However when I'm putting my partscasters together, I don't want any logo at all because A: they're not branded and B: I quite like the mystique of a blank headstock. 
    People putting their own name on there for a laugh or bit of fun is totally fine by me off course.

But if anyone is doing it with sincerity they should realise that fender etc. don't just buy three or four parts and screw them together.

Makes me think of when I've only ever built my own PCs and when I tell people they're amazed so I have to tell them it's just slotting together a few parts. I've known people, however, that happily leave the assumption that they're some kind of genius who's actually made it from scratch.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5119
    I've seen quite a few guitars for sale (exclusively fender style guitars) with Fender decals on the headstock but the ads clearly stating they are not Fenders and instead are partscasters.
    Local facebook groups are full of this crap. They seem to think admitting it makes it less illegal.

It means they are genuinely counterfeits!

The act of selling it with the fake logo is still illegal; however, it's unlikely that an individual selling a one-off would be prosecuted for it.
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 888
    edited November 2020
    I bought a Partscaster on eBay for £200 delivered.

Didn’t like the maple fingerboard neck, so I bought a Dr Parts maple / rosewood neck, installed a cheap set of tuners.

Graphtech nut: £9 and it dropped perfectly into place without my having to do any sanding at all (amazing). The nut slots are at the perfect height.

Had an old Gotoh 510 tremolo that fit.

Scrapped the Wilkinson P90s - and installed a set of AlNiCo 2 P90s made in China with nickel silver bases - just £15.

...and it sounds and plays absolutely beautiful, as good as any of my significantly more expensive instruments. And the pickup blend pot is amazing.

I wanted to put a decal on the headstock - and I used a Fender one, purely because it cost me £3.50. (The personalised ones that I have purchased previously from Rothko & Frost in the past have cost me close to £12).

I don’t plan on selling it - but I rather suspect that if someone actually had a chance to play it, they would probably make me an offer for it :-)

https://i.imgur.com/AAQBKAP.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    Pitchforks at the ready lads
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    I remember as a youngster, the shocking realisation that the guitarist in one of my favourite bands didn’t actually play a Fender Stratocaster, but something called a “Tokai Springy Sound”. WTF? So I fully approve of tongue in cheek homages on partscasters.
  • Haven’t quite thought this through but here goes.

how important really is a headstock decal? My bitsa hasn’t got one yet, buying an endorsed neck may not arrive with the appropriate one on it , and of course you can buy whatever you want and apply it so looking for thoughts.
    Huge opportunity to get creative on a blank headstock. Leaving it blank looks cheap & weird imo, so at least paint it if you don't want to use a logo. I dig the ones that are a play on the expected manufacturer's logo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    prowla said:

It means they are genuinely counterfeits!

The act of selling it with the fake logo is still illegal; however, it's unlikely that an individual selling a one-off would be prosecuted for it.
    No, but the site hosting the ad could be prosecuted, shut down and various other things for facilitating the sale of counterfeit items...

That's why they are a total no-no here. People may not realise it, but posting a partscaster with a branded logo (i.e. a counterfeit) could get us shut down.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Haven’t quite thought this through but here goes.

how important really is a headstock decal? My bitsa hasn’t got one yet, buying an endorsed neck may not arrive with the appropriate one on it , and of course you can buy whatever you want and apply it so looking for thoughts.
    Huge opportunity to get creative on a blank headstock. Leaving it blank looks cheap & weird imo, so at least paint it if you don't want to use a logo. I dig the ones that are a play on the expected manufacturer's logo

I agree, make it your own.

My guess is this won''t be popular but I'm loving the process

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    edited November 2020
    I like that @mikem8634 , I'd love to see what it would look like for real.

In the past I've used a computer graphics machine to cut out a stencil font and simply painted on. This was my 'Ashcaster' simply sprayed on in matt black, demasked and then (as it was obviously a relic) I masked around it and added some dyed lacquer to give the appearance of an aged waterslide:

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That's really classy @Deadman. I'm really torn between something minimalistic like yours or the OTT type I posted above. It will be a series of waterslide decals applied to a black headstock and then buried under clear coat. I've got as far as painting the headstocks and dithering over the designs. Cheers for the thumbs up.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    edited November 2020
    I have to admit I was influenced somewhat by Nash guitars, mike @mikem8634 . I've done loads of waterslides, as long as they're going onto a clean (imporous) surface and they're left to dry for a good 24 hours they lacquer over well. Mist coats to begin with the lacquer mind. Build it up and don't go too heavy.