Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Headstock Decal

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• @deadman That’s very cool. I was thinking of replicating the 12th fret markers (3 x abalone dots) but that might well do the job on this. Just refinished the headstock, as I thought it looked a bit crap after doing the body. 

FE8-ABE14-0-A9-F-4-D17-B4-E0-6-D20-A732160-B 8-E3-EC801-3-A86-427-C-B825-59-E531652065
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I sort of get this about the decals but then people seem to be very happy to have guitars which are in the main accurate copies!? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5119

I sort of get this about the decals but then people seem to be very happy to have guitars which are in the main accurate copies!? 

I guess the copies say "looks like", whereas the decals say "is".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 876
    edited November 2020
    prowla said:

I sort of get this about the decals but then people seem to be very happy to have guitars which are in the main accurate copies!? 

I guess the copies say "looks like", whereas the decals say "is".
    Yes again I sort of agree but let's take custom guitar builders for example, if they didn't make guitars that "look like" popular brands they probably wouldn't sell as many guitars and therefore not make as much money!

Some people are putting "look like" decals on to make money.

By the way I have just put a decal on a headstock which I would get flamed for and whilst the decal is sitting very nicely on the headstock it isn't sitting very comfortably with me, I do feel like a fraud and in the longer term it will undoubtedly come off.

Why did I put it on? I don't like blank headstocks and I'm not keen on seeing peoples own name (though some work better than others).

What I have learned is that I actually prefer a blank headstock with a flatted down look.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    This gets more complicated the more I think about it.

I hate the idea of a fake fender logo on a non-fender neck but then I'd consider buying a Fender neck specifically so it has the right logo even though it might not necessarily be better than others, or even worse. That is obviously ridiculous.

My conscious logical mind realises that the logo on the headstock shouldn't matter the tiniest bit but the marketing has obviously affected me more deeply than that cause I just can't get over the want of a specific real logo.

It's not even just like a paranoia against non-fender logos, when I look at the fender logo, especially on more vintage style instruments, I just love the look of it there. Seems silly but I just love the look of it being there.

I definitely think it affects far more deeply than we can logically make sense of. I suppose that's why quite a lot of people go about with t-shirts with a huge logo for the company who makes it on the front and that they specifically want that logo and pay extra for it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2136
    Micro Sol and Micro Set are useful when applying waterslide decals. Got that tip off a mate of mine who wastes his time building plastic models. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Devil#20 said:
    Micro Sol and Micro Set are useful when applying waterslide decals. Got that tip off a mate of mine who wastes his time building plastic models. 
    Somewhere, on another forum, someone is recommending Micro Sol and Micro Set, and saying "I even got my mate who wastes his time pissing about with guitars into it."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2136
    DeeTee said:
    Devil#20 said:
    Somewhere, on another forum, someone is recommending Micro Sol and Micro Set, and saying "I even got my mate who wastes his time pissing about with guitars into it."
    I'd love that to be true   ;)

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom