Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

When someone says 8.5 lbs

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    edited November 2020
    Philly_Q said:

Who'd have thought this thread would end up peppered with comments like "who the fuck weighs their guitars?" and "you call 8.5 lbs heavy?"  I'm totally shocked.

No-one is stopping all you macho men playing your '70s Fenders and 11 lb Les Pauls.  Fill your boots. 

I took my 70s strat into a shop for a setup and the chap gave me his 70s strat and asked me which was heavier.  I said the same, he weighed them both, mine was 8.5 lbs his was over 10.  I decided then never to weigh one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    Philly_Q said:

Who'd have thought this thread would end up peppered with comments like "who the fuck weighs their guitars?" and "you call 8.5 lbs heavy?"  I'm totally shocked.

No-one is stopping all you macho men playing your '70s Fenders and 11 lb Les Pauls.  Fill your boots. 

Haha I agree! 

I never gave it a thought before, and still wouldnt really, as I rarely play for any long duration standing, and can switch between guitars anyway. 

But I certainly noticed the weight of the Phoenix at 10lbs. I’m not hugely fit but if I was gigging or playing it standing daily, that would deffo make my shoulder ache.. 

In fact it got a but uncomfortable after half hour. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7348
    This tiny girl is wielding a bit more than us lot!

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    Philly_Q said:

Nothing to do with “being macho”...

when you’re jumping about at a gig a pound here or there makes no difference that you’d notice.

ive weighed guitars when folk have asked the weight of I’m selling... but that’s the only reason...

what I don’t understand is people who rule out buying a great guitar because it’s 9&1/2lb as opposed to just under 8lbs...
  • I wouldn't have thought a pound or two would make much difference either. Must do to some. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    I wouldn't have thought a pound or two would make much difference either. Must do to some. 
    An ounce or two seems to, to some people - eg the "must be under 9lb" thing you see when they're looking for a Les Paul. Presumably 8lb 15oz is OK, but 9lb 1oz is out...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• AdeyAdey Frets: 2802
    I prefer a heavy guitar, but then I'm a big fat b'stard myself anyway
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1244
    Should also be noted that I was born in 1990, which doesn’t mean that I prefer metric over imperial, but that I’m not really good with either