Are dealers prowling our classifieds?

What's Hot
jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2161
edited November 2020 in Guitar
A few weeks ago there was a CS 60’s Telecaster in the classifieds for £2250. I’ve just seen the same guitar pop up on my Instagram feed being advertised by a well known vintage dealer for £2750.

Didn’t we have a rule about dealers declaring themselves? 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2161
    Sorry just discovered there was already a thread about this. As you were. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5852
    edited November 2020
    Maybe they went Richard Henry, themselves? At least I hope that's what happened. 
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1682
    Yeah, seems to be a thing. Saw a lovely CS Tele up for about 1800 that was on ebay a week later for nearly 2800.

There's 2 sides - the people who think the classifieds should be for those who are part of the community and the people that think if you sold something and got the price you wanted then what's the problem. Guess what? Both sides are probably right.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Bedroom dealer offer: Your asking price in cash - no nonsense.
    Average forum offer: Ten pence, an old Squier and some pocket fluff.

Don't get me wrong, I love getting my pitchfork out too - but it's tough to favour the community sometimes.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Jackobean said:
    Bedroom dealer offer: Your asking price in cash - no nonsense.

Don't get me wrong, I love getting my pitchfork out too - but it's tough to favour the community sometimes.

The pedestal the classifieds on here is up on is laughable sometimes,, it's not a viable alternative to ebay as much a I wish it was, plus  a lot of offers on here are usually low ball or terrible trades. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2020
    Jackobean said:

The pedestal the classifieds on here is up on is laughable sometimes,, it's not a viable alternative to ebay as much a I wish it was, plus  a lot of offers on here are usually low ball or terrible trades. 
    If all the offers are all lowballs or terrible trades then maybe you’re overpricing your stuff?

I’ve had some great transactions and met some very nice people through them as well as getting some great guitars at decent prices. As have plenty of others.

Clearly you’ve got very different expectations but maybe adjust them rather than just moan about a great, free service.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8361
    Dan_Halen said:
    Jackobean said:

If all the offers are all lowballs or terrible trades then maybe you’re overpricing your stuff?

I’ve had some great transactions and met some very nice people through them as well as getting some great guitars at decent prices. As have plenty of others.

Clearly you’ve got very different expectations but maybe adjust them rather than just moan about a great, free service.
    Absolute wis for that @Dan_Halen ;

Not a viable alternative to Ebay? Who the hell suggested it was?!

Sometimes it's a struggle to sell on here but other times, it is an absolute breeze and like Dan, I've met some great people on here through purchases/sales - most recently the lovely @Grangefirth and @m_custom ;

Viva the classifieds!
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5852
    edited November 2020
    Dan_Halen said:
    Jackobean said:

All the offers? did I actually  say all of them? No I didn't ...... Did I not say I wanted it to be a viable alternative..... Maybe re read what I said before you spout sanctimonious bumfluff
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It's not great, but if no-one else has bought it, and a dealer comes along and offers you asking price...

I turned down good dealer offers on my R9 because it was a very special guitar and I didn't want to just see it go to someone who viewed it as a £1k profit. It went to a really nice bloke, as one of his two main guitars, who will really appreciate it over the years. I was very happy with that.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4081
    They Post Among Us
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Dan_Halen said:
    Jackobean said:

All the offers? did I actually  say all of them? No I didn't ...... Did I not say I wanted it to be a viable alternative..... Maybe re read what I said before you spout sanctimonious bumfluff
    Well it's good that you pedantically pick up on the fact that I mis-qutoed with 'usually' rather than 'all' and can't have been paraphrasing. Clearly that completely changes your entire point and makes you sound much more mature.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Well it's good that you pedantically pick up on the fact that I mis-qutoed with 'usually' rather than 'all' and can't have been paraphrasing. Clearly that completely changes your entire point and makes you sound much more mature.
    Yes yes, jog on Princess 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well it's good that you pedantically pick up on the fact that I mis-qutoed with 'usually' rather than 'all' and can't have been paraphrasing. Clearly that completely changes your entire point and makes you sound much more mature.
    Yes yes, jog on Princess 
    Someone's grumpy.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/175/need-to-vent-do-it-in-here#latest
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    What's the problem? You advertise to sell and someone buys. 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7249
    This place is exponentially better to buy and sell on than anywhere else as long as you doing it in the spirit of the forum. 

People genuinely moaning about it in here... This country... 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3810
    edited November 2020

I don't have an issue with dealers buying via the classifieds.  My only problem would be if someone, dealer or otherwise, were to misrepresent themselves i.e. invent a backstory that they were buying on behalf of a terminally ill child who’s dying wish were to play an electric guitar sort of thing in order to get the price down.  Other than that, if they’ve offered me an acceptable price, then it’s theirs to do with what they will.  I may have priced below ‘the market’ in order to get rid with minimum hassle.  If they spot that there’s a margin to be made buy buying and selling on then good luck to them.

When it comes to buying from dealers then that’s a different matter.  There’s nothing wrong with buying from dealers per se but you do have consumer rights.  If a dealer is misrepresenting themselves at point of sale then that is dishonest, possibly criminal.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • matonematone Frets: 216
    Don`t think the dealers prowl much,they`re in plain view mostly!lol
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Over the years I've bought and sold plenty of gear in the classifieds on here.

You get low-ball offers sure, but all it takes is a polite refusal or a counter offer.
    Likewise, I've made what I'm sure have been low-ball offers, and am content if I receive a refusal or counter offer.
    Usually in either scenario a deal can either be struck, or not. No big deal.

I understand the whole bought-cheap/ flipped for a profit dismay, especially if you've sold in good faith and seen your gear being punted elsewhere for a higher price, but ultimately that's how it goes. It's annoying - it's happened to me plenty, but is it worth stressing about?

Of course if there are 'undercover traders' lurking here and flipping, well...

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20600
    matone said:
    Don`t think the dealers prowl much,they`re in plain view mostly!lol
    And the ones that don't declare themselves, usually get weeded out.
    Just have a look through Help & Feedback at the Admin/Mod interventions   
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9129
    It’s pretty obvious that traders will peruse the Classifieds. Should we be worried? From a seller’s viewpoint it increases the number of people viewing the adverts. This increases the chance of the item selling quickly, and reduces the likelihood of a price drop. Compared with ebay etc the seller has no fees, and hence can sell at a slightly lower price. 

The discussion in another thread has been about buyers misrepresenting themselves, and using sob stories to get price reductions. We don’t like deception in any form. Consequently we insist that traders identify themselves as such. We’ve recently banned a few members for ignoring this.

What we also object to is the forum resources being used for commercial advertising. Hence the rule on each member only having one active For Sale thread in each section, and the Classifieds only being used for personal sales.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.