Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I think I want....

What's Hot
PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3434
... a Telecaster.

There, I've admitted it. I want a Telecaster, I really do, however all the ones I've tried in the past have had such a thin or "weedy" sound to them I've never really been able to get to like them.

Can anyone give me some pointers as to where to look to find a Telecaster I will like, and hold dear forever? (At least until the next thing that I want comes along)

No baseball bat necks please - I have a very lovely Suhr Classic S which has the "perfect" neck profile, so something not a million miles away from that would be good. 

Thanks,

Dave

This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8361
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3434
    Hattigol said:
    I think I want the "classic" Tele - single coil pickups rather than anything Humbuckery, as I have a HSS strat.
  • LogieLogie Frets: 449
    edited November 2020
    If you can find a 90's Tele Plus V2 they've got a great range of sounds from traditional Tele to more ballsy tones when you combine the bridge with the neck. The bridge on it's own is quite hot and it's got the TBX mid boost on it as well which gives it another kick up the arse. I've had mine 8 years now. Cracking guitar. It's the one in my profile pic.
    Logie said:
    If you can find a 90's Tele Plus V2 they've got a great range of sounds from traditional Tele to more ballsy tones when you combine the bridge with the neck. The bridge on it's own is quite hot and it's got the TBX mid boost on it as well which gives it another kick up the arse. I've had mine 8 years now. Cracking guitar. It's the one in my profile pic.
    Thanks for that - i'll have a look into them
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    Something with Twisted Tele pickups would be good - or neck at the very least - you can buy them aftermarket too and retrofit anything if you can find a good plank. The Twisted Tele neck pickup is wound like a Strat pickup. The TT bridge pickup is completely great but there are loads of other exceptional Tele bridge pickups out there - IME the neck is the trickier one to sort anyway if you're not a total traditionalist...
  • OnparOnpar Frets: 446
    I've been through lots of teles and if you want something full and ballsy that's not wimpy sounding then go for a 50s style maple neck tele with a decent chunky neck. It's doesn't have to be full on baseball bat but neck girth adds fullness, fatness and awesome tone. Stay away from 60s style thinner necks. In my experience the neck makes more difference to tone than pickups. I swapped necks and pickups on my teles and found this to be the case.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I went down the same road recently & ended up with a two year old telecaster elite that came up locally. For me it’s probably one of the best necks I’ve ever played, the new noiseless ( well nearly) pickups are fantastic, love the S1 switch and after a while I’ve bonded with the “ no tone “ setup. Try to get your hands on one if you can.
  • Counter-intuitively, one piece maple necks on ash bodies always seem to sound fattest to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Could you not have put the word telecaster in the thread title?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    I don't get the so called 'thin and weedy' thing about Teles. Turn your bloody amp up and use the tone controls on it.
    They're big sounding, punchy guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a tele plus v1 with the wonderful lace sensor pups in it, it's the exact same as Jonny Greenwood's but with a rosewood board. It's classic tele tones but with just more to it and with the flick of the mini switch a tremendous hum bucker sound. It's sunburst and really rather traditional looking. It's definitely a tele but just more. I've had her for 25 years but I'm thinking about finding her a new home. Drop me a line if you are interested :) 

• OnparOnpar Frets: 446
    Counter-intuitively, one piece maple necks on ash bodies always seem to sound fattest to me.
    This. As long as the neck isn't thin and weedy. 
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 637
    edited November 2020
    I picked up an American Standard on here with Broadcaster/Twisted Tele pickups (ash body/rosewood board) and it sounds really full and meaty, have also compared it back to back against my '62 with Texas Specials which can get a bit shrill at times (but is still superb).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sassafras said:
    I don't get the so called 'thin and weedy' thing about Teles. Turn your bloody amp up and use the tone controls on it.
    They're big sounding, punchy guitars.
    No, i'm afraid they are not.
    I went down the same road recently & ended up with a two year old telecaster elite that came up locally. For me it’s probably one of the best necks I’ve ever played, the new noiseless ( well nearly) pickups are fantastic, love the S1 switch and after a while I’ve bonded with the “ no tone “ setup. Try to get your hands on one if you can.
    I shall have a look, thank you for the recommendation
    thegummy said:
    Could you not have put the word telecaster in the thread title?
    I could have, yes, but then you wouldn't have looked. You could have been the key to my tonal hapiness.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Onpar said:
    I've been through lots of teles and if you want something full and ballsy that's not wimpy sounding then go for a 50s style maple neck tele with a decent chunky neck. It's doesn't have to be full on baseball bat but neck girth adds fullness, fatness and awesome tone. Stay away from 60s style thinner necks. In my experience the neck makes more difference to tone than pickups. I swapped necks and pickups on my teles and found this to be the case.
    Interesting. I was looking at the Vintera 50's Roadworn which looks rather tasty in Lake Placid Blue. It might fit in those specs.
  • I'd look at another Suhr if you like the necks or buy a regular tele and put in a set of Fishman Fluences. Check out Greg Koch as he uses them and they can be fat or classic sounding.
  • SyncSync Frets: 289
    Sounds like you really want a Gibson Les Paul Std with 60s neck @PC_Dave .......

No need to worry over those shrill tele twangs then. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9129
    Sync said:
    Sounds like you really want a Gibson Les Paul Std with 60s neck @PC_Dave .......

No need to worry over those shrill tele twangs then. 
    No. @PC_Dave has grown up now. If his hearing is anything like mine then he needs some cut in the sound too. He really needs a Tele. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.