Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I think I want....

What's Hot

Comments

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3434
    Roland said:
    Sync said:
    Sounds like you really want a Gibson Les Paul Std with 60s neck @PC_Dave .......

No need to worry over those shrill tele twangs then. 
    No. @PC_Dave has grown up now. If his hearing is anything like mine then he needs some cut in the sound too. He really needs a Tele. 
    Pardon?!

Ha, no, I don't need anything like a Les Paul. The idea of owning one of those monstrosities makes me feel sick.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I love teles when other people play them. I’ve eventually accepted that I’m just not a tele guy.

so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SyncSync Frets: 289
    edited November 2020
    Roland said:
    Sync said:
    Sounds like you really want a Gibson Les Paul Std with 60s neck @PC_Dave .......

No need to worry over those shrill tele twangs then. 
    No. @PC_Dave has grown up now. If his hearing is anything like mine then he needs some cut in the sound too. He really needs a Tele. 
    Oh I get that, I can't even hear a Gibson these days after too many years next to the drummer without wearing adequate (any) ear protection / IEMs.

Hmm, maybe I should consider a tele too thinking about it. Had more of a hankering for one of recent too. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    When people describe Teles as sounding thin and weedy I just assume they mean clear, defined and dynamic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    PC_Dave said:
    thegummy said:
    Could you not have put the word telecaster in the thread title?
    I could have, yes, but then you wouldn't have looked. You could have been the key to my tonal hapiness.
    I wouldn't have but anyone who was willing to give you advice still would have.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Counter-intuitively, one piece maple necks on ash bodies always seem to sound fattest to me.
    This. One-piece maple neck, ash body, steel saddles, 10-52 strings and if that isn't enough, a hotter than vintage bridge pickup.

Massive punch and power, no thinness or weediness at all. They are certainly bright, but that isn't the same thing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 961
    Sassafras said:
    I don't get the so called 'thin and weedy' thing about Teles. Turn your bloody amp up and use the tone controls on it.
    They're big sounding, punchy guitars.
    Sassafras said:
    When people describe Teles as sounding thin and weedy I just assume they mean clear, defined and dynamic.
    ICBM said:
    Counter-intuitively, one piece maple necks on ash bodies always seem to sound fattest to me.
    This. One-piece maple neck, ash body, steel saddles, 10-52 strings and if that isn't enough, a hotter than vintage bridge pickup.

Massive punch and power, no thinness or weediness at all. They are certainly bright, but that isn't the same thing.
    I knew there was a reason I liked you two. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    I used to loathe teles, aesthetically speaking. Having spent a brief amount of time sorting the rossi guitar out I can really see the appeal of a tele.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    As said, with a good bridge pickup they don't sound thin and weedy, but I'm not a fan of the twangy scooped pickups a lot of Fenders come with - simply rolling off the tone control can't always save them imo. Something life a Wapping Wharf by Oil City sounds nice and thick but still has that Tele punch and clarity. I like that big wide open sound which you can still dig in on for single string riffing.  I normally gravitate towards Gibson style guitars but last time I did a load of recording with a few guitars to choose from I loved the sound of the Tele way more than both Les Pauls we had.

That Vintera 50s sounds great here

TTBZ said:
    As said, with a good bridge pickup they don't sound thin and weedy, but I'm not a fan of the twangy scooped pickups a lot of Fenders come with - simply rolling off the tone control can't always save them imo. Something life a Wapping Wharf by Oil City sounds nice and thick but still has that Tele punch and clarity. I like that big wide open sound which you can still dig in on for single string riffing.  I normally gravitate towards Gibson style guitars but last time I did a load of recording with a few guitars to choose from I loved the sound of the Tele way more than both Les Pauls we had.

That Vintera 50s sounds great here

Yeah that's the video that made me think I want that model.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    I always regret not buying a Baja Tele back in the days where they were better priced and I actually had disposable income and no responsibilities! I think I may just slowly accumulate the bits to make a parts one and hope it works out nice.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9129
    ICBM said:
    TTBZ said:
    Something life a Wapping Wharf by Oil City sounds nice and thick but still has that Tele punch and clarity.
    You three are describing my Tele, except I prefer a three piece neck for added stiffness. Just add a Californian neck pickup for that twisted Tele sound.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • SyncSync Frets: 289
    Sassafras said:
    It's a running perception joke, like dentists and PRS guitars.

Teles are tonally beautiful sounding guitars. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    edited November 2020 tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

That pretty much describes my Tele. I've got a Gibson mini humbucker in the pickguard too so can get a Les Paul sound out of it.
    Someone in the area has a Nashville Deluxe tele for sale - any good?
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2633
    Sassafras said:
    I don't get the so called 'thin and weedy' thing about Teles. Turn your bloody amp up and use the tone controls on it.
    They're big sounding, punchy guitars.
    This, man.  Use neck or neck/bridge blended, adjust the tone.  They're super versatile, don't gotta be thin if you don't want it to be.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3897
    edited November 2020
    Maybe you don't like Teles if you think they sound "thin and weedy"? They sound the complete opposite of that to me.

Maybe you need to play harder? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Loobs said:
    Maybe you don't like Teles if you think they sound "thin and weedy"? They sound the complete opposite of that to me.

Maybe you need to play harder? 
    Thanks for your concern - my playing is just fine, as my Suhr will attest (that does not sound "thin and weedy") - if you read what I put in my original post is that I said "all of the ones I have tried in the past" have been thin and weedy.

I'm looking for recommendations for Tele models that don't sound like that.
  • https://youtu.be/TuCKcN8kCYI
    G&l asat versus modern tele comparison 
    the g&l is for sale!!
    https://youtu.be/TuCKcN8kCYI
    G&l asat versus modern tele comparison 
    the g&l is for sale!!
    Thanks - think it’s a bit too spendy for me. Also I can’t get on with the look of those pickups, for some reason.