Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I think I want....

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    edited November 2020
    I used to play a mix of classic rock and late-90's punk rock on a Tele in my first high-school covers band. Teles can do everything - they're super fat-sounding into the right amp, and that bridge pickup gives you so much harmonic content you can still cut through a mix. They're awesome guitars.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited November 2020
    Slight hijack but sort of on topic.. does anyone have both an SG or LP special (P90s) and a Tele, and for mid-higher gain stuff on the bridge pickup do you feel you can get a similar level of "bandwidth" and dynamics out of the Gibson with P90s? That wide open big sound is what I like most about the Tele but if I can get it in the more playable (to me) Gibson package even better. Then I could just go for a bridge P90 in my SG to achieve the same result. I already have a neck P90 which I love. I've not messed with bridge P90s too much apart from in my old full fat LP which was great. Not arsed about country twang or clean sounds.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    edited November 2020
    ICBM said:
    Counter-intuitively, one piece maple necks on ash bodies always seem to sound fattest to me.
    This. One-piece maple neck, ash body, steel saddles, 10-52 strings and if that isn't enough, a hotter than vintage bridge pickup.

Massive punch and power, no thinness or weediness at all. They are certainly bright, but that isn't the same thing.
    I have a 1988 US Tele Standard alder, rosewood board, 6 saddle bridge. 

But having recently bought a Harley Benton TE-52 NA vintage series from Thomann, I can confirm that this combination, maple neck, ash body, sounds great. And at the risk of repeating my previous posts, this guitar is so blindingly good, it's just bonkers..I'm upgrading the tuners, and putting on brass compensated saddles, but it's got a great ballsy bridge pick up that's full of Tele spank, and it has the nicest neck pickup in a Tele I've ever played. I just can't put it down!!

I know it doesn't have the Fender badge but for £139 who cares!  It is a weighty beast though with a chunky 'C' neck but don't let that put you off; it's incredibly comfortable and all the reviewers on YouTube say the same thing.  Definitely worth considering but there's a waiting list for them. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3434
    edited November 2020
    Thanks @Voxman - I’ve been reading your thread with a lot of interest. 

I might pop an order in, but I wonder what the QC is like on the guitars when they’re rushed out for the order backlog.

I think I’m looking at 3 different Teles at different price points: the Harley Benton, the Deluxe Nashville, or the Roadworn Vintera.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5737
    When I were a lad I thought Teles were for country music and looked weird. I was a metaller and everything was about humbuckers and pointy bodies.
    Jump forward many years and one day, for some unexplainable reason, I got major GAS for a Tele. No idea why, I just wanted one. I bought a Baja (one of the original blonde ones) and it was love.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • A tele is a wonderful thing that can cover most bases.
    My preference is for a 50’s style bridge pickup (Broadcaster or Nocaster) paired with a Twisted Tele neck pickup.
    Nothing thin or shrill in there at all.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    edited November 2020
    PC_Dave said:
    Thanks @Voxman - I’ve been reading your thread with a lot of interest. 

I might pop an order in, but I wonder what the QC is like on the guitars when they’re rushed out for the order backlog.

I think I’m looking at 3 different Teles: the Harley Benton, the Deluxe Nashville, or the Roadworn Vintera.
    There seems to be a lot of variation in weight but all the reviews and YouTube vids are very very positive 're build quality, (although one of the guys on here was less happy and returned his). However, Thomann's customer service is excellent and for the price it's absolutely worth taking a punt because you really have nothing to lose. Plus they give a 3 yr warranty. 

The tuners are serviceable but not the best though easy and inexpensive to remedy.  I've just ordered a set of Wilkinson 15:1 ratio deluxe vintage that are a straight drop in, for £22.30 Inc postage from Amazon.

Other than that if I'm being ultra ultra picky, there's a very slight rough finish of under an inch on the edge of the headstock (which you can't see), and if you run your finger down the skunk stripe you can feel it is very, very slightly recessed on one side from about halfway but its nothing you can see or feel when playing with absolutely no impact on feel or comfort. The neck is incredible, c shape, chunky, but really comfortable.

The action was a bit high for me when it came, but I've lowered it right down with no buzz and it went so low I even had to raise it a bit!!  Pickups are just superb, and playability is phenomenal.  Best £139 on gear I've ever spent.  Overall quality is just stonking.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)