Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New Guitarist Mag cover.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    jeztone2 said:
    It’s EVH. But it suddenly dawned on me that it’s probably the first Guitarist magazine cover for about six years that hasn’t mentioned the Blues or an interview with someone who lives on the M4 corridor. 

I might buy it. 

I saw it at Sainsburys today and was quite shocked to see a person on the cover.  

It feels like for years they've had nothing but arty pictures of vintage LPs, Telecasters etc.  But I could be wrong.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I popped into WH Smith’s and they had what I think must be the previous issue still. One of the things that comes to mind is I remember Neville Marten ( or Mick Taylor maybe) saying they always did a Hendrix cover every year and every year it was their best selling issue and it became a nightmare trying to think of original content for it. Perhaps we’ll have an EVH edition every year as well now. 

StratNut said:
    There was even a big pull-out section this month on EVH, albeit an aggregation of old interviews and photos.
    Confession: I'm an older blueser and the advent of EVH and his widdling pyrotechnics did nothing for me, God bless the guy. IMHO it spawned a generation of guitarists obsessed with speed and playing with zero musicality and emotion. But chacun à son goût.

Loobs said:
    EVH was so much more than 'widdling pyrotechnics'. Give him his due. 
    I’m 55 and was listening to EVH when I was an adolescent so I’m sure many of the older bluesers reading Guitarist will have listened to Eddie at some point. 
    If anyone listening to Eddie only took widdling pyrotechnics from it they missed a lot. He was influenced by Clapton and Billy Gibbons and threw in elements of jazz, avant garde and flamenco, dabbled in electronica, master rhythm guitarist - and I’m not even that much of a fan really. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Whenever they have an article on the M4 you know it's going to go one way or the other.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 733
    edited November 2020
    Saw it today in Asda. Not bought a copy for years ,but ,seemed appropriate  and fitting to have Eddie  on cover. Not my taste in music really, but, you know,  rock on dude!
  • It doesn’t cover my tastes so I neither read nor moan about it but being enticed by the “vintage Fender art prints” included I picked it up. £7.49! Is that usual? I know print media is dead but good grief. 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3847
    I popped into WH Smith’s and they had what I think must be the previous issue still. One of the things that comes to mind is I remember Neville Marten ( or Mick Taylor maybe) saying they always did a Hendrix cover every year and every year it was their best selling issue and it became a nightmare trying to think of original content for it. Perhaps we’ll have an EVH edition every year as well now. 

I can see their quandary.

Most of the stuff we all love is from the '50's and '60's.

The brave new world of transistors etc has been firmly pushed back by old fashioned valves.

People love reissues of old amps and guitars.

When "new" guitars are featured they are generally copies of Strat's Tele's Les Pauls etc etc.

There is really nothing new in the guitar world and even when the latest bands are featured they often seem to disappear without trace or don't make too much impact.

It's difficult when there is really nothing new to find something to write about that hasn't been written about a hundred times before in some shape or form. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • They're pretty pointless to be honest. Is there anything in them that you can't find elsewhere on line?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2473
    They're pretty pointless to be honest. Is there anything in them that you can't find elsewhere on line?
    Good point but I would much rather rather read a printed book or magazine before turning in than spend even more time staring at a glowing screen.
  • Neil said:
    I popped into WH Smith’s and they had what I think must be the previous issue still. One of the things that comes to mind is I remember Neville Marten ( or Mick Taylor maybe) saying they always did a Hendrix cover every year and every year it was their best selling issue and it became a nightmare trying to think of original content for it. Perhaps we’ll have an EVH edition every year as well now. 

I can see their quandary.

Most of the stuff we all love is from the '50's and '60's.

The brave new world of transistors etc has been firmly pushed back by old fashioned valves.

People love reissues of old amps and guitars.

When "new" guitars are featured they are generally copies of Strat's Tele's Les Pauls etc etc.

There is really nothing new in the guitar world and even when the latest bands are featured they often seem to disappear without trace or don't make too much impact.

It's difficult when there is really nothing new to find something to write about that hasn't been written about a hundred times before in some shape or form. 
    I stopped reading Guitarist years ago and probably had a bit of a rant about how it had become worse or something but in practice so much of their business is regurgitation that once you've been reading it for a couple of years to you've pretty much read a lifetime's worth, so it's more about me than them. 

Keefy said:
    They're pretty pointless to be honest. Is there anything in them that you can't find elsewhere on line?
    Good point but I would much rather rather read a printed book or magazine before turning in than spend even more time staring at a glowing screen.
    The Guitar Magazine made a point of being a bit more nerdy and doing some more in depth articles the equivalent of either don't exist or at least seem hard to find on the internet. Although as I haven't seen a copy this year I don't know how true that still is.

And I'll add the old man trope here - that one of the best things that guitar magazines ever did were the extended interviews in Guitar Player back in the day. It relied on people buying the magazine regardless of the cover and being prepared to read a long article about someone because they were an interesting guitarist wether they liked their music or not. And relief upon those artists to take some time out and discuss how they worked in some detail and not just an extended plug for the new album. 
    That just seems to be long gone. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8361
    There's a sense of irony in the fact that every six months or so, a thread pops up saying how repetitive and boring the contents of Guitarist are....
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11680
    Magazine in "articles aimed at typical reader" shock. 
  • Strikes me as a case of market segmentation/playing to the audience.

Gutiarist knows who it'll sell to, as does Total Guitar, as does Guitar magazine and so on.

Why get upset about?

If there wasn't a buyer (or at least, enough) it and the others woudn't exist.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    EricTheWeary said:
    And I'll add the old man trope here - that one of the best things that guitar magazines ever did were the extended interviews in Guitar Player back in the day. It relied on people buying the magazine regardless of the cover and being prepared to read a long article about someone because they were an interesting guitarist wether they liked their music or not. And relief upon those artists to take some time out and discuss how they worked in some detail and not just an extended plug for the new album. 
    That just seems to be long gone. 
    Wiz.  Old man.  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 222
    edited November 2020
    I picked this up yesterday and had a read.  Some good EVH stuff in there. Wanted to hear more about the old marshall than his modern tones(post '91 tones) tho.
  • WTF is a magazine? 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8361
    WTF is a magazine? 
    It's a bit like a comic but with bigger words.
    Hope that helps.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2269

You are better than their tribute band “Up the A1”

"Up the A55" fared a lot worse.

Do not google with image search on.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11680
    WTF is a magazine? 
    It's like a newspaper, but too shiny to use to wipe your tush. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3131
    edited November 2020
    It's lovely they've got Edward on the cover. I took a photo and What'sApp'd it to my mate with some added sad emojis - but I didn't feel the need to pick one up. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"