Worth replacing the nut on an old Yamaha FG-180?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• itmitm Frets: 1
    I've left it with Guitar Aid in Putney. He also suggested a setup to adjust the neck to lower the action higher up the neck (it is pretty high), and will do both jobs for £55 plus parts, which sounds reasonable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962

Sorry mate. Missed that. 

@itm Hope it goes okay for you. If you're happy with the job done maybe add a post on the recommended luthiers and techs bit of the Guitars page. 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33850
    If I had of seen this earlier I would have offered my services- I can do it a bit cheaper as I work from my house (around £30 plus parts)

Guitar Aid do great work though- I'm sure you'll be pleased with it.
  • itmitm Frets: 1
    octatonic said:
    If I had of seen this earlier I would have offered my services- I can do it a bit cheaper as I work from my house (around £30 plus parts)
    That's a shame. For future reference, where are you based?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72719
    £30 for just the nut or £50 for the nut and a full set-up including standard strings (ie not Elixirs or something else expensive) is what I would charge.

It's actually hard to do one without the other, so unless I was sure the guitar was perfect apart from a broken nut I would probably insist on doing the full job.

But that's not via a shop in London with big overheads, so I can just about go along with up to £100 if it is. Still sounds like a lot though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• It was a few years ago but the last time I got Jon Dickinson the make and fit a new nut on my Ibanez cost me £25 if I remember correctly. I always tell him to save time and money on the full setup (I can do that myself) which keeps the price down, but I'm sure it wouldn't set you back £100 with Jon or another smaller concern.
    I've had two nuts done by Jon - can't remember how much exactly, I'm pretty sure it was less than £40 - fantastic quality work, the bone nut was polished so smooth it looked like a piano key.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11475
    The £100 that Charlie is quoting may be for a Plek setup.  He does charge extra for them.