Montys "ageing wax" snake oil? or good ?

What's Hot

Comments

• mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    Brio said:
    I used the Gold Label Dubbin recommended by OilCityPickups. It comes in three different colours but i went for the black. I got mine from Amazon.
    I put a healthy coat on, rubbed it into the wood, left it for five minutes and then buffed it off. I repeated until the colour looked good to me. A total of three applications.
    It got some under my fingernails during application but once I'd buffed the board nothing further came off. Next time I change strings I'll do it again but that should be it for quite a while.
    I forgot to mention I cleaned the board with IPA to remove any grease before starting.
    Thanks 
    So no sealing it ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10489
    edited April 9 tFB Trader
    mark123 said:
    Brio said:
    I used the Gold Label Dubbin recommended by OilCityPickups. It comes in three different colours but i went for the black. I got mine from Amazon.
    I put a healthy coat on, rubbed it into the wood, left it for five minutes and then buffed it off. I repeated until the colour looked good to me. A total of three applications.
    It got some under my fingernails during application but once I'd buffed the board nothing further came off. Next time I change strings I'll do it again but that should be it for quite a while.
    I forgot to mention I cleaned the board with IPA to remove any grease before starting.
    Thanks 
    So no sealing it ?
    nope
    PS nitrile gloves prevent brown or black fingers when applying it. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7037
    tFB Trader
    Brio said:
    Lovely.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    mark123 said:
    Brio said:
    Thanks 
    So no sealing it ?
    nope
    It's when you first play it afterwards bit that i'm worried about.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1851
    Brio said:
    Lovely.

It'd be the best use for that piss flavoured water...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • pluckbuddypluckbuddy Frets: 278
    I've just bought some Montys snake wax for fun. Haven't used it yet but it certainly smells better than shoe polish :)

Not so bothered about the cost relative to massive tubs of furniture polish - bought directly from Montys and happy to support a UK based SME.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • allenallen Frets: 710
    Okay, based on this thread I bought some Briwax Dark Oak. It was just to experiment really.

Here are a couple of photos of BEFORE

And here are 2 pictures of AFTER 

Bear in mind that these is a cheapo musicman stirling and when I got it last year the fretboard was dry as a bone and it has had multiple sessions of oiling just to get it to the level of the before photos.

In person the sheen on the board looks 'deeper' and healthier. The grain shows a little better overall, but not a substantial change in colour to my eyes.

Before.jpeg 286.1K
    before 2.jpeg 327.9K
    after 1.jpeg 380.1K
    after 2.jpeg 348.8K
    tFB Trader
    mark123 said:
    mark123 said:
    Brio said:
    Thanks 
    So no sealing it ?
    nope
    It's when you first play it afterwards bit that i'm worried about.
    Firstly they are all natural oils ... secondly they don't come off once soaked in. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1432
    Back to the point..

Where is the tin now?

Is there any left? 

Who's next?
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12389
    nero1701 said:
    Back to the point..

Where is the tin now?

Is there any left? 

Who's next?
    Its with me, I'd say there is about an 8th of a tin left but that's plenty.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12389
    edited April 27
    So @paulnb57 is next on the isel of widgit, will get it posted for Monday.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    munckee said:
    So @paulnb57 is next on the isel of widgit, will get it posted for Monday.
    Cheers!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11798
    Brio said:
    Lovely.

Personally I wouldn't let Brew Dog beer near anything I valued, let alone put it in my mouth.  Foul stuff.
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1108
    I was looking at picking up some Briwax to try but when looking at the safety warnings...

Hazard statements:
    Flammable liquid and vapor.
    Causes serious eye irritation.
    Causes skin irritation.
    Suspected of causing cancer.
    May be fatal if swallowed and enters airways.
    May cause respiratory irritation.
    May cause drowsiness and dizziness.
    May cause damage to organs through prolonged or repeated exposure.

https://briwax.com/msds/briwax-sds2017.pdf

are they just being overly cautious to protect themselves?

I imagine their warnings are for exposure to higher concentrations/volume than what would be used on a fretboard?
    tFB Trader
    Offset said:
    Brio said:
    Lovely.

Personally I wouldn't let Brew Dog beer near anything I valued, let alone put it in my mouth.  Foul stuff.
    Good god ...  Brewdog 'Lost' Larger

Brewdog Hazy Jane 

And Brew Dog Black Heart

Are favorites with Tim and I at Oil city ... 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2498
    Anything with solvents has to warn against these sort of potential hazards, but solvents are volatile so aren’t present once they’ve evaporated. People use this on dining tables etc so should be fine for a fretboard 
  • WoodandwiresWoodandwires Frets: 195
    Could I have the tin after @paulnb57 I realise that will be my second go, so if anyone else wants it I will happily give way.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Could I have the tin after @paulnb57 I realise that will be my second go, so if anyone else wants it I will happily give way.
    Pm me your address and Ill send it when Im done…(unless anyone else responds)
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1302
    paulnb57 said:
    Pm me your address and Ill send it when Im done…(unless anyone else responds)
    Andy Warhol: “In the future, everyone will own a tub of Monty’s aging wax for 15 minutes”
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22931
    The total postage cost for this tin would surely have bought at least a couple more new tins.  But I guess the costs have been shared.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom