Drums for Guitar Practice

What's Hot
Those of you who prefer a rhythm to play along with at home what method/hardware do you use to get the drum sounds?

Do any of you use drum/rhythm pedals?

I do have Easy Drummer 2 on my computer but I don't necessarily want to fire up my PC just to play guitar. And I'm not always playing in the room that it's in.

Are there any particular phone apps you use? Anything you can recommend?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• blobbblobb Frets: 3273
    Trio +
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    I've bought a Nux Mighty Air as a practice tool which has built in drums. 

They are basic, but do the job.
  • blobb said:
    Trio +
    Do you own one? Is it any good?

• I've bought a Nux Mighty Air as a practice tool which has built in drums. 

They are basic, but do the job.
    I'd rather continue to use the amp I already have.

Am experimenting with apps through the bluetooth of my hifi. Finding apps that aren't just full of crap are is tricky.

• I have a BeatBuddy pedal which is great, about 200 drum beats in different styles. Don't use it much anymore though.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1641
    Highly recommend the Donner Circle Looper. You can turn the looper off and just use the drums (various basic beats in various time sigs and categories, simple to scroll through) . Not much money and quite a revelation as a practice tool after other loopers I've had (Trio+ among them) 

• JohnPerry said:
    Highly recommend the Donner Circle Looper. You can turn the looper off and just use the drums (various basic beats in various time sigs and categories, simple to scroll through) . Not much money and quite a revelation as a practice tool after other loopers I've had (Trio+ among them) 
    Thanks that sounds interesting I'll take a look.

• MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    edited November 2020
    I have various drum machines and recently bought a Behringer electronic kit for a bit of fun with my son.
    Probably the best £250 I’ve spent this year.
    The Digitech Trio Plus band creator is a awesome fun box of tricks that I use on a regular basis.

blobb said:
    Trio +
    Do you own one?
    Yes. I also tried basic Trio, SDrum and SD2 loops. I also play drums (real and EDrums).
    Is it any good?

Well, I'd love a Trio2, if that were to ever happen, so I can list loads of features I wish it had. But, in Trio+ form, it's a step up from Trio. SDrum I didn't get on with, SD2 loops are great but you need to sit and lay them down. For me Trio+ wins on how dynamic it is. You play your chord progression into it and it learns and matches the beat and style. It also creates a bass line. This is where it gets fun. You can throw it out at that point and complain that it isn't matching you exactly or in the style you want etc... but for me, I throw random sounds at it, see what it comes up with, then improvise over it. Sometimes it stays  sensible, sometimes it goes nuts, esp. the bass player! I like running extended progressions at it, so pattern freakery: 7x3 time gives me a sequence that I can play over in 7 time. Lose a beat at the end of a 4 time sequence and 4x4 becomes 15 time so you can play 5 time.

I run the rhythm out to monitors (with a reverb pedal on them) and guitar loop out to amp, pedals in the loop. Great fun to put something like MOOD in the loop and let the two of them percolate together. You can sequence 5 Trio parts so I suppose you could sit down and work out a proper song if that's your thing. Not my thing though, I like improvising.

What do you want to do with it?
  • Amazon seem to be releasing a range of budget effects pedals under different names around the world at the moment but all seem to have the same names inside when one opens up for a look.
  • JohnPerry said:
    Just watched a YouTube video of this. Looks excellent. 

• duotoneduotone Frets: 1065
    Sorry but it’s EZ Drummer 2/SuperiorDrummer 3. 
  • duotone said:
    Na, needs to not require a computer. 

• duotoneduotone Frets: 1065
    duotone said:
    Na, needs to not require a computer. 
    That’s why I’m sorry.
    I understand about firing up the PC, sometimes the thought of loading everything up puts me off too.
  • sergiosergio Frets: 119
    If you have an iphone, Garageband has plenty of algorithmic drummers in different styles which you can also configure very easily, change instruments, etc... I've always found them quite nice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7430
    IOS has loads or good drum machines - Drumstudio, Rock Drum Machine (My favourite), Drum session, Robodrum
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • I don't do Apple. Android/Windows/Chrome only.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    I've an old Boss drum machine.
    It's basic but programmable and can be made to sound OK.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7430
    I don't do Apple. Android/Windows/Chrome only.
    “Thanks for the contribution to my thread, where I didn’t state what IT I needed a solution for, I’ll be more descriptive next time.......”
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1