Drums for Guitar Practice

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Donner Looper looking favourite so far. Very tempted to order one. 

Thanks for the suggestions. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2851
    I have a home made beat box with an acoustic pickup in. It works surprisingly well and is brilliant for creating some beats to loop and play with.

All in it cost about £6. I have a separate input on my (home made) pedalboard that I can plug it into. It's great into a delay pedal for creating a beat. 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2851
    Bottom right here. It started life as a Lidl prawn box.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Have ordered a Donner Circle Looper. So we shall see how I get on. Looks good fun. 

• MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    edited November 2020
    I bought a Trio + Band creator back in March with the foot pedal after a recommendation from a friend  and it’s been on my coffee  table ever since.

Digitech Trio+ Band Creator

Digitech Trio Band Creator
    Absolutely love this box to bits and wouldn’t be without it.

• Funnily enough, there isn't really a good solution for this kind of thing. Slapping drums in a hardware box for a guitarist is more complex than it may seem. I think the Beat Buddy is the only one that has truly made a good attempt at giving someone the kind of control they need to really feel like the drums are "their" drums, rather than just playing along to backing track drums. Although that's also a requirement that a lot of people have.

Bye!

• newi123newi123 Frets: 954
    I bought a boss  / roland drum machine with the built in bass. Never even tried to program it, just select a pattern and jam along. Great for different styles of single vamp chords (or some of them even have 2!). Use it for modal practice and to expand and experiment with flavours rather than just banging out pentatonic. No set up time, and probably drives creativity more than anything else.

Then I use YT or more usually Spotify for Jam Backing tracks. They`re free and work for generic styles.

Then for specific songs I`ll find backing tracks on YT, or I also joined GuitarInstructor which has all the Hal Leonard Tab on there, and many of the well know songs come with backing tracks. It`s the only bit I pay for, and it`s not expensive as a resource.

• i use a Boss R10 looper - has a great drum section included
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Fuengi said:
    Bottom right here. It started life as a Lidl prawn box.

Wow, that looks like an Edwardian pedal board!
  • I use a Beat Buddy with the extra foot switch. They're expensive but pretty good. 
    Haven't use it in a while. Especially useful for bassists I reckon.
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • These are great fun from Bax Music for under £250 including free delivery from Holland to the UK.
    https://youtu.be/oDMfQvuTsr4
  • JohnPerry said:
    Highly recommend the Donner Circle Looper. You can turn the looper off and just use the drums (various basic beats in various time sigs and categories, simple to scroll through) . Not much money and quite a revelation as a practice tool after other loopers I've had (Trio+ among them) 
    My Donner Circle Looper has just arrived and it's exactly what I was after.

I already had a Boss RC-3 but the rhythm elements were very basic. The Donner pedal has really good drum sounds - or at least good enough for the purposes I need. Lots of patterns. The looper itself sounds great and the controls are clever. I like the way it can give you a count in and there's a visual representation of where you are in the loop. 

So thanks very much for the suggestion as it was exactly the right thing for me.

And thanks to everyone else who contributed.