Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

routing a lp junior for a neck pickup

What's Hot

Comments

• @gazrichards @ICBM brillaint guys very useful, I think I may see who's local to get it done

I don't want more than 2 guitars, so it's either sell this one (way too much hassle) or mod it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @gazrichards @ICBM brillaint guys very useful, I think I may see who's local to get it done

I don't want more than 2 guitars, so it's either sell this one (way too much hassle) or mod it 
    It’s not going to be a cheap mod. And making th pickguard not be ugly (subjective I know) will be tricky. Look at those new juniors that Gibson do with the massive pickguard. Obviously done so they only have to rout from the top and keep costs down but it makes a but ugly guitar. 

Another switching option would be a blend type pot or switch dial instead of a 3 way switch. Would keep the look and negate the need for further routing to allow for the switch. 

Again, having said all that, I wouldn’t do it. Try the double pickup special
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    Or swap it for my SG :) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

It’s not going to be a cheap mod. And making th pickguard not be ugly (subjective I know) will be tricky. Look at those new juniors that Gibson do with the massive pickguard. Obviously done so they only have to rout from the top and keep costs down but it makes a but ugly guitar. 

Another switching option would be a blend type pot or switch dial instead of a 3 way switch. Would keep the look and negate the need for further routing to allow for the switch. 

Special would be the ideal.... Alas not many  around 
  • TTBZ said:
    Or swap it for my SG :) 
    I traded an SG standard for this :D I'd only consider a p90 so tbh 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    gazrichards said:

It’s not going to be a cheap mod. And making th pickguard not be ugly (subjective I know) will be tricky.
    I would simply cut it neatly around the dogear cover and put the screws in the new corners.

I would choose a dogear P90 precisely because it would avoid making a new pickguard to support a smaller pickup - and because it's 'right' for a Junior, if anything is. (Ignoring Lennon-tribute Charlie Christian conversions, anyway :).)

A standard toggle should fit, I think - either a Schaller-type shallow one, possibly set at 45º to the knobs, or I'm pretty sure a full-height Switchcraft will just go into a Junior body, especially if you use the 'flat' nut rather than the 'recessed' one.

I probably wouldn't either, although I understand the not wanting to sell and buy two guitars...

If you can be bothered I really would try an EQ pedal first too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7066
    A cheap mod might be to throw a 50s loom in and see if you can get a better response out the vol/tone.

Adding another pickup (I’m told) will change the character of a junior. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • Anyone got a les paul special??.. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    Anyone got a les paul special??.. 
    Yes, thanks for asking.  :)
  • Philly_Q said:
    Anyone got a les paul special??.. 
    Yes, thanks for asking.  :)

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109

^ That does look slightly like me as a child.  Only slightly.

To come back to your question, did you want a measurement or something, or were you contemplating giving up the modding plan and replacing the Junior with a Special?

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1591
    edited November 2020
    I've got both.  @WezV ;;is just making me a custom DC that uses a bridge and middle humbucker (though it also has a maple neck).  It's based on a guitar I used to have in the late 70's.  Here's what I have with P-90's now:

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Any of those vintage? Nice collection, I am jealous.
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
  • Philly_Q said:

^ That does look slightly like me as a child.  Only slightly.

To come back to your question, did you want a measurement or something, or were you contemplating giving up the modding plan and replacing the Junior with a Special?

Well I wanted to know the viability and cost, it seems less cash than forking put for a special, with the Jr as a part x, so I'm 5050 about which way to go.

Pros for mods I get to keep an awesome playing guitar and have a potentially fantastic sounding all rounder, 
    For around the £235 Mark, 

Cons, I'm not bothered about originality but others are so it would be a hard sell whe I choose to move it on.

Pros for the special, no modding required, 

Cons the Jr would have to go towards it cash wise, 
    Which means trade px  for a  lacquered special would be few and far between, I'd have to deal with tyre kickers etc. 
    If I part exed in a shop then I'd be shafted money wise

You can see the conundrum 
  • @PhilKing what a collection,! 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32394
    I think the best looking solution which fits the style would be a Melody Maker style neck pickup, you'd only need a slight wider scratchplate. 

Any flat pole Strat pickup with a blank black cover would do. 
    The most minimal routing of all would be a Nighthawk middle pickup, but I still don’t think it would be entirely within the outline of the pickguard.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3494
    Don’t Gordon Smith make a GS 1.5 that’s essentially what you’re looking for, I’d imagine can be had reasonably 2nd hand
    grungebob said:
    Don’t Gordon Smith make a GS 1.5 that’s essentially what you’re looking for, I’d imagine can be had reasonably 2nd hand
    Having played a couple of these I would rout the Gibson...!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    It’s hardly sacrilege, not as if your fitting a Bigsby 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom