Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Undercover Guitar Deliveries...

What's Hot

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2851
    Roland said:
    Mine tend to sneak in like this

Do you have a log burning stove? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20601
    I just have one guitar case, all new guitars enter the house in said guitar case and then go into my little guitar storage area which the missus doesn’t go in. 

You sound like Bluebeard...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mrs M has spent more on guitars in the last two years than I have, I’ll just leave this here!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2633
    edited November 2020
    My wife is generally supportive but every time asks "What does this one do that the others don't?"

Well, er...

I don't really need to justify it but the key to feeling guilt free is knowing you can easily sell them on. And if you buy second hand it's a doddle.
    Funny how the boot is so rarely on the other foot

What does this handbag/pair of shoes do that the other ones don't?

What do you mean you can't wear or be seen in the same dress twice ....you're not a film star or member of the royal family with paparazzi and gossip columnists following you and criticising your every clothing choice

You spent how much having a beauty treatment/getting your hair done/getting your nails done
    (i was dating a beauty therapist for 12 years and men have NO IDEA how much women spend on treatments)

Or blokes could just behave like adults and communicate with their significant others about what they'd like to spend their money on.
    I agree with you, but then women may have to do the same - see above
    This is pretty spot-on.  It's not about hiding purchases from each other, it's about mutually enabling each other.  If nobody's going hungry, then who cares?  Just be supportive of each other.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5213
    edited November 2020
    Petrogli said:
    I've had somewhat the opposite scenario recently.

I ordered a gig bag for a build project, which arrived in a cardboard edge shaped guitar box. I immediately got grilled on whether I had ordered another bloody Ibanez guitar as that was the branding on the box.
    The trick is to show that the box doesn't contain a guitar, then order a few more gigbags and pull off the same trick. After that you can order guitars with impunity, each time saying it's just another gigbag.
  • I just have one guitar case, all new guitars enter the house in said guitar case and then go into my little guitar storage area which the missus doesn’t go in. 

Smart!
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5694
    I know how much wool costs, and that it's harder to sell on than guitars. 

Also, we do the @vasselmeyer thing, although I did once buy a cab on the sly whilst Mrs Snags was away looking after her parents. She only rang me as I was on my way back from getting it, despite knowing I was off to a band practice ... 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3810
    The bass player in a former band bought himself an amp + two cabs rig.  He didn't hide it but, due to its size, he had nowhere else to put it but in the garage.  Not somewhere that his partner frequented often.

Now he and his partner both worked and had very similar earnings.  They had a joint account to cover the bills then the arrangement was that whatever was left over was theirs to spend.

His partner goes into the garage, sees the rig, and says "what's that?".  "It's my new bass rig" says my mate.  "Oh" she says, "you didn't ask me about it!".  "I didn't know that you were an expert" says my mate, "do you think that I should have got the Trace Elliot instead?".

Nothing more is said but a week later his partner rocks up in a different car.  "What's that?" says my mate.  "It's my new car" comes the reply.  "You didn't ask me about it!" says my mate.  "Oh" says his partner, "I didn't know that you were an expert.  Do you think that I should have bought the Mondeo?".  There was nothing more that he could say.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1408
    based on this thread, i don't believe most of you have ever spoken to a woman!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32394
    I don't need to bother hiding guitars from my wife, which is just as well as we're in the same band, so she'd notice anyway. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 4211
    Once the bills are paid we each take some money for ourselves that we’re each free to spend. That said when I bought a bike that was the same colour as an existing one it was suggested that I was trying to sneak it in. 

Trading feedback thread:https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/172761/drofluf

Sporky: "Drofluf is a reverse vampire, who always appears in mirrors."
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    I have a lot of my friends guitars delivered to my house and they pick them up and sneak them in. Some of these guys are huge collections though so their wives disproval is understandable.

One guy I know, a Rush fan has 2 Geddy Lee Basses, identical ones. His wife thinks he owns one so he can never allow both of them to be out of their cases at the same time :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There is of course a straightforward and open option; which is to simply say they are investments and contributing to future solvency.

That the market fluctuates is out of our control - and jurisdiction. 

Sounds like a responsible approach ??!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34318
    Fuengi said:

Any more ingenious ways to sneak a guitar in to the house that you can share? 
    Nope, I've never hid a purchase.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    I found it was never an issue - once the missus bought a horse !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11681
    Jalapeno said:

Real or Trojan?
  • vizviz Frets: 11041
    edited November 2020
    I walk out of the house with an empty guitar case announcing loudly to anyone who can hear that I’m off to the shop to see if they want to buy my guitar, then a few hours later I’m returning with the same guitar case and a forlorn look and the sad update that they didn’t want it.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    scrumhalf said:
    Jalapeno said:

Real or Trojan?
    Real - the upkeep, vets bills etc is eyewatering !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5035
    I've bought and sold in excess of 150 over the past four years and, yes, there is something wrong with me. My wife once said 'they all look the same to me', which was, of course, great news. She can count though, and I think that's a small fact that I'd overlooked.

A really good tactic is to say 'I'm looking at a Gibson whatever' and then to tell her that the guitar has got a really interesting history behind it, and would she like to hear about it's concept, development, past and future values, etc and some of the artists that have used it?

At that point, she walks off in what can only be described as a mixture of pity and boredom, and it's plain sailing from there.

She did mildly question me once about a 1959 ES-225. She asked me if it was new(!), and I said 'no, I've had this for a few months now'. She said, 'no, I'm sure it's new'.  I had to remind her that not only was she there when I bought it at ATB Guitars, she also kindly bought it for me and paid for it as a present.

In fairness, she really does think that they all look alike.  Of course, she may have thought she was buying it for someone else. :)
    Call me Dave.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9129
    Fuengi said:
    Do you have a log burning stove? 
    That’s the planked timber. This is the log pile for burning.

Pine, cedar, apple, holly, yew
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.