Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New guitar problem

What's Hot

Comments

• bodhibodhi Frets: 1362
    Sorry to hear you're disappointed, but I quite like that colour, really.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    Totally understand, if you don’t love it, you don’t love it. Can you return it?
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16315
    I hope so
    tae be or not tae be
    You guys are gonna be even sicker with my LP Junior for sale ad
    tae be or not tae be
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25113
    Hootsmon said:
    You guys are gonna be even sicker with my LP Junior for sale ad
    So, what's the alternative?  Sunburst?  TV White?  Cherry?  Or are you giving up?
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2336
    Colour looks fine in some pics but like infected mucus in others. Could it be the lighting at all?
    i could do one of three things......cherry (which i had and sadly sold) SB or have a look at the USA LP Juniors
    tae be or not tae be
    I must admit, of the four common CS Junior colours, TV Yellow is my least favourite (although I think it looks great on SGs!).  I know lots of people love it, though.
    will have another look in daylight....i must admit in some pics it looks proper but in the flesh it's well pish

I have also asked the Yanks opinion...if anyone knows proper TVY it should be that crew

Is the USA TVY opaque,full colour and no grain show?
    tae be or not tae be
  • LewliganLewligan Frets: 544
    I think it looks the part and really like the colour, not that that changes your predicament at all.

You’re bang on in what you said though - it’s far too much to fork out for something that you’re not absolutely over the moon with. Even if it sounds & plays great, the colour will likely always niggle you.

Fingers crossed you can return it easily, get your money back & then on to the next one!
    Check out my Fretboard Trading Feedback HERE!
  • Recently bought this refinished 55 which i think looks really nice. Refinished by Clive Brown. I think the earlier TV yellow was more of a wheat colour and then gradually moved to more of a yellow later in the 50's. I think you're junior actually looks quite nice but i think you should check it out in daylight before you make you're mind up. 

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hootsmon said:
    Is the USA TVY opaque,full colour and no grain show?
    They don't look totally opaque, but there's less visible grain than the CS models.  And they're definitely a lot more yellow.  Full custard.
    edited December 2020
    I have taken the time to fully inspect the guitar now and the fretboard joint with the neck is a little off on the bass side. The join on the treble side is perfect but i can feel with my hand that the joint up to around the 10th is a little out

very little in it TBH but noticeable to close inspection and obvious to the hand/thumb

Unforgivable really for a 3k guitar

perhaps that makes my case for a refund a little more secure IDK...oh,bear in mind the joint at the FB and neck does not have the benefit of binding, 

I am gonna give up and go to bed now but it looks like rogue rubber marks from wall hangers and or stands too,,,pissed
    tae be or not tae be
  • monoaminemonoamine Frets: 506
    edited December 2020
    Can you take some daylight photos tomorrow? I'd be interested to see if it looks quite as green in natural light, as I've never seen one like that before.

FWIW this is my 2005 Edwards Junior in natural light, a good mix of wheat and yellow...

1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5670
    Hootsmon said:
    I have taken the time to fully inspect the guitar now and the fretboard joint with the neck is a little off on the bass side. The join on the treble side is perfect but i can feel with my hand that the joint up to around the 10th is a little out

very little in it TBH but noticeable to close inspection and obvious to the hand/thumb

Are you talking about a small ridge between the fretboard and neck? If so, that's very common on Gibson CS guitars to a greater or lesser degree.
  • To be honest, I thought it looked a bit khaki when the OP posted the photo of the guitar on the scales. I dare say it is accurate to the kind of yellow that was coming out of the factory in the 1950s but it is not the kind of yellow that I think many of us have in our minds nowadays when you think of TV Yellow. I almost bought one of the USA 2019 Specials in TV Yellow recently and that, whilst probably not historically accurate, has the kind of vibrant yellow that I prefer. As for a Junior, I think it should be in Vintage Sunburst so, for me, the yellow tint is moot. =)
  • Hootsmon said:

Are you saying that you can feel where the fretboard meets the neck? That there is a ridge of some sorts rather than the two pieces of wood feeling like a single larger piece? That would certainly be annoying and disappointing, however historically accurate it might be.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    Before you send it back, do you like the sound and the way it plays?

If so, you’d be better having it refinished in the colour you want, which would also fix the fingerboard edge. You’ve been looking for one of these for long enough...

But it’s typical for a £3K Custom Shop Gibson. No guarantee at all that another one would be better, and it would most likely be heavier.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5670
    ICBM said:
    Before you send it back, do you like the sound and the way it plays?

If so, you’d be better having it refinished in the colour you want, which would also fix the fingerboard edge. You’ve been looking for one of these for long enough...

But it’s typical for a £3K Custom Shop Gibson. No guarantee at all that another one would be better, and it would most likely be heavier.
    I wouldn't refin a brand-new CS guitar. If nothing else, it would kill the used value.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    Brize said:

I wouldn't refin a brand-new CS guitar. If nothing else, it would kill the used value.
    If you can’t get what you want, make it right... it’s not as if it’s an original 50s one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom