Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Possible fake ‘1958’ Les Paul Goldtop on eBay?

What's Hot

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10591
    stonevibe said:
    Let's hope he listed it on £1 fees deal, or eBay will butt rape him if it sells!
    £250 is the max final value fee lol. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    The NGD thread was all wow great congrats. This thread is ‘it’s iffy’. Lol. 
    I don’t know anything about anything with regard to Les Paul guitars but the contrast of the 2 threads is fantastic . Everyone loves a good old gossip 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2146
    edited December 2020
    No L shape tooling marks, holes in pups that shouldnt be there. Wrong channel shape in cavity, wrong pickup screw channels in cavity, they are wide and almost circular when they should be more lozenge shaped.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10591
    I wonder how much he paid for it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1591
    Is it me or does it look like it's been subject to extreme damp?  I have many 50's guitars but they don't have rust on the truss rod washers.  Also the corrosion on the one pickup base is pretty drastic too. I'm wondering if this is why the split in the top seam is so prominent.
  • My moneys on a conversion of some kind, pickup routs look like they were converted from p90's by someone who had little experience of conversions, frets are too big for a 58 and in one pic it looks like it still has the nibs, ageing doesn't look original and that split along the centre seem looks a bit nasty. Then you've got the hardware which mostly looks to be repro. If it's a 68 then i think the headstock angle might not be 17 degrees which could be a giveaway. Not really clear what this mongrel is but it doesn't look like an original 58. 
  • rickhenry68rickhenry68 Frets: 27
    edited December 2020
    Does anyone have cavity photos of this thing? I noticed the image links are not working in the original thread. 

Edit. 

Forget that, I just found them. There isn’t a single thing about this guitar that looks legit IMHO. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    I wonder how many bedroom dealers have been offering him an R9 and a packet of cheese and onion for it?  Too many to count I'll bet!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nearly the most surprising thing was that the guy went through with the purchase before then trying to get it authenticated. 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7066
    edited December 2020
    Nearly the most surprising thing was that the guy went through with the purchase before then trying to get it authenticated. 
    What a thread! One thing I’d say about poor old ‘zapper’ - for all his years, wealth etc he proves one thing. You can’t buy common sense! I’m sure he’s a nice bloke but I’ve seldom seen such naivety. 

Fair play to him for making the video though - he comes across more balanced in the video considering how nuts his online persona is.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    It's textbook confirmation bias. 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7066
    It's textbook confirmation bias. 
    Indeed!
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3362
    tFB Trader
    I played a dick knight conversion once, he thought it was a 50s one turned out it was 68 I think, should've been left alone imo and it was ok but nothing special 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6866
    tFB Trader
    As far as I’m aware there is this ‘58, a ‘59 (which turned up on Facebook Marketplace - the most obvious place to sell a ‘Burst of course...), a ‘60 (linked in the post above) and a ‘55 TV Model I was asked to appraise a few months ago which all appear to be coming from the same source.

TV Model was a poor attempt at ageing a standard Junior with some period parts and was priced at £6k. 

A dealer in the EU recently listed a ‘59 TV Yellow DC Junior for £10k which was, again, a refinished Cherry CS guitar (the cherry filler had started to leach into the yellow causing it to turn pink). When contacted, he immediately ended the listing and realised he had been duped. 

As original 50’s Juniors rise in price again they are becoming more worthwhile for the fakers to make so PLEASE use care and due diligence and as always buyer beware. 
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    I read that entire Les Paul Forum thread... I was bored :). It was hard going in places but it did conclusively prove that people with deep pockets and little knowledge *do* buy vintage guitars without doing any proper research.

There are two technical errors mentioned that are worth correcting if anyone is interested...

1. The type/brand/age etc of the caps make no difference to the tone. Only the value matters, although some types can change value (drift) over time, or leak (in which case they must be considered faulty), which does.

2. It is perfectly possible to measure the value of a volume pot in situ without unsoldering anything - you just need to do a little maths.

Apart from that I’m entirely happy to want nothing to do with expensive vintage guitars at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • As far as I’m aware there is this ‘58, a ‘59 (which turned up on Facebook Marketplace - the most obvious place to sell a ‘Burst of course...), a ‘60 (linked in the post above) and a ‘55 TV Model I was asked to appraise a few months ago which all appear to be coming from the same source.
    And the (alleged) source is the (alleged) individual(s) named at various points in the thread? :o

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    You mean the dealer who insists their stock is a "collection"
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1436
    edited December 2020
    Part of the problem is that guitar fakery is a relatively low risk criminal enterprise with potentially high rewards.

Zapper took 500 quid as compensation for his troubles, when really the police should have been informed. Though of course, if that happened proving beyond a reasonable doubt that the sellers knew what they were selling was a fake would be nearly impossible. I’m sure one of them was a “bona fide” purchaser, probably bought it for cash off some guy 20 or 30 years ago, don’t remember the guy’s name, all very plausible and very difficult to prove/disprove.

If the fake had been of a better quality and the faker maker had done his homework and taken the time to get it right then there is a reasonable chance that it would have passed unnoticed into the community, and after having been bought and sold a couple of more times would acquire provenance.