Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Possible fake ‘1958’ Les Paul Goldtop on eBay?

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• Must add im not talking about the current owner but the fool who sold him a fake 58 goldtop.. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1286
    Update on the original topic of this thread - I reached out to Jon, who was selling the guitar this time and offered him some pictures of my original guitars, pointing out the differences.

He's spoken to a number of people, including me, and I believe him to have behaved honestly (although, very naively).

Here's the update from a Facebook thread:

SUPPOSED 1958 LP UPDATE! regarding the Les Paul posted :
    I have now returned the guitar to the guy who sold to me and obtained a refund. It seems it was far from original as I believed and personally I would NEVER try to sell a forgery, Big thanks to Rick Henry for all his help. I won't name and shame (yet) but feel free to contact me, on this little journey I have discovered that mine is not an isolated case with this seller!

Good ending, although let's see if it reappears
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8122
    edited December 2020
    peteri said:
    Update on the original topic of this thread - I reached out to Jon, who was selling the guitar this time and offered him some pictures of my original guitars, pointing out the differences.

He's spoken to a number of people, including me, and I believe him to have behaved honestly (although, very naively).

I have now returned the guitar to the guy who sold to me and obtained a refund. It seems it was far from original as I believed and personally I would NEVER try to sell a forgery, Big thanks to Rick Henry
    for all his help. I won't name and shame (yet) but feel free to contact me, on this little journey I have discovered that mine is not an isolated case with this seller!

Yeah, that Facebook thread is...interesting, as is the one on Strat-Talk...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• WezV said:
    Why anyone would settle for a burst when you could have a goldtop is a continuing mystery to me :)
    I own a burst, an Orville by Gibson one from the early 90s. I think the flametop is even a solid one as opposed to laminate, which a lot of them are. 

I have considered getting it goldtopped or done in one of the Fender custom colours, like shell pink or ice blue metallic. Sunburst is nice, but just so vanilla.
    The first flame top LP i built got a goldtop finish
    If I won the Euro Millions lottery, I’d buy an original burst and get it gold topped.

I’d do a “making of” series of videos, post them to one of the Les Paul forums and then just let the despair and hatred wash over me ...
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 548
    edited December 2020
    so who is the mystery seller?  I'm just intrigued, as I'll never have enough cash to drop on something like this ... and my replica is as good as it gets (in my opinion) for a fraction of the price, having played a lot of good Les Paul's (and a lot of guitars generally), but admittedly not many 50's guitars apart from a few Juniors.
  • If I won the Euro Millions lottery, I’d buy an original burst and get it gold topped.
     =)  Perhaps also have a Floyd Rose fitted and maybe have it routed with an extra pickup for good measure?.
  • If I won the Euro Millions lottery, I’d buy an original burst and get it gold topped.
     =)  Perhaps also have a Floyd Rose fitted and maybe have it routed with an extra pickup for good measure?.
    Definitely get the fretboard scalloped
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100

as is the one on Strat-Talk...
    Link for that?
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 9122
    If I won the Euro Millions lottery, I’d buy an original burst and get it gold topped.
    A set of EMGs :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    Ok I’ll ask the question...

is this Gareth tit a member of this forum?
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5229
    edited December 2020
    peteri said:

I have now returned the guitar to the guy who sold to me and obtained a refund. It seems it was far from original as I believed and personally I would NEVER try to sell a forgery, Big thanks to Rick Henry
    for all his help. I won't name and shame (yet) but feel free to contact me, on this little journey I have discovered that mine is not an isolated case with this seller!
    Nice one Pete. A good outcome and well done @rickhenry68 for getting involved and helping to make it happen.

But Pete... 
    https://i.imgur.com/dnST2Ca.jpg
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10591
    So this has basically come up in multiple places all over the internet?
  • peteri said:

@peteri - yeah, been talking to Jon too and I agree.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    peteri said:

By the time you've stuck the headstock back together, routed for different pickups, maybe changed the board, definitely shaved the board down to make it flat again, ground down the bridge, stuck some PAF stickers from eBay on the pickups etc. the guitar is so far away from what left the factory, or from what conversions originally were - that you should really change the name on the headstock

When we discuss a  Marmite topic, we have to accept that there will be a range of views.  But I have to disagree with the BIB.
    If I have understood you correctly, you are saying that the Gibson logo should be removed from  heavily modified Gibson Les Pauls, but that the Gibson logo should not be removed from your Counterfeit Gibson Les Paul which was made by a bloke called Terry.
    Is that correct?   =)

My view is that the heavily repaired Stradivarius violins, which are the working tools of many world class musicians, are still Stradivarius violins.
    You would clearly argue that you are able to  identify a particular  moment, at which each heavily repaired Stradivarius violin is no longer a Stradivarius violin.
    It is an argument that you would lose.

If  Zapper and Jonnysixstring have both got their money back, that is a stunning and welcome outcome. Surely we all agree that we don't want another member of this forum to be in a similar position in the near future - wondering if they will somehow get their money back.

We can reduce that risk by making vastly experienced individuals feel welcome on our forum. I very much hope that Richard Henry feels welcome whenever he chooses to visit this forum. If jumping@shadows decides to post again, he will be welcomed by many of our forum members.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    A quick note on the 'conversions' thing...

I've made the point before, and I'll make it again. We aren't allowed to sell partcasters with a Fender logo on them (even if the neck was made by Fender) on here, because there is the chance it could be used in the future to fool someone into paying over the odds as an 'original' guitar...

If someone sells a 56 Goldtop converted into a 'burst - especially if they are very good at it - its all good. 

Yet, as seen above, there are more dubious goings-on in the vintage Gibson world than in the Fender one.

FWIW - I do think they are fakes. Its creating something they never were (irrespective of whether or not they are just a paint job away from being the other instrument) and whether or not the luthier is a nice guy/talented/meant no harm etc, the fact remains that some time down the line when the backstory has been "forgotten", these guitars can and will be passed off as original instruments.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    impmann said:

FWIW - I do think they are fakes. Its creating something they never were (irrespective of whether or not they are just a paint job away from being the other instrument) and whether or not the luthier is a nice guy/talented/meant no harm etc, the fact remains that some time down the line when the backstory has been "forgotten", these guitars can and will be passed off as original instruments.

The person who has had criticism (from a very small number of forum members) is emphasising the multi-piece maple top of early 50's Gibson Les Pauls in a stunning and creative way. There is zero chance that those guitars can be passed off as a later instrument.
    So presumably you are excluding him from your comments?

• Totally fake 58, it's a conversion. HB route is totally wrong, as the finish, Relic, pickup, control cavity. Maybe a 56....maybe....