Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Humbucker bridge P90 neck combination.

What's Hot
Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1316
edited December 2020 in Guitar
I’m thinking of changing pickups in one of my guitars. I have two double ‘bucker guitars and two double P90 guitars. I’m thinking a combination set up might make a really versatile guitar. I know Duesenberg guitars have this combo. Anyone here got a guitar with that pickup arrangement? How well does it work? Or for that matter any other combinations people might recommend?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 32394
    It works very well, allowing both pickups to sound their best with the same amp setting. 

I bang on about this a lot, but a well balanced guitar is important to me. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15278
    I have a Yamaha Pacifica guitar with that pickup combination. Suits it.

Another way to have the best of both worlds is by installing Seymour Duncan P-Rails pickups, possibly via Triple Shot mounting surrounds. That way, it is possible to switch between numerous pickup permutations in a single guitar.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6939
    Have a chat with @IvisonGuitars . He makes a beauty he calls "The Hurricane". 

https://www.ivisonguitars.com/the-hurricane
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6232
    I have one of those Dueseys and it’s the most versatile combination of any guitar I’ve played. I think it would work with most HB/P90 combos but the two Duesey use are perfect to my ear. The HB is very bright and clear and loves to be driven hard. Not unlike the kind of tones you’d hear from Malcolm Young’s Gretsch. Then the P90 is super smooth and warm, turning that snarling guitar into something soulful and melodic. And together you get a scooped and slightly nasal tone that’s not a Strat but it’s towards that direction. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    I have my SG set up like this with a Bare Knuckle Mississippi Queen neck and Warpig bridge, and it's really good. The MQ can actually overpower the Warpig if you're not careful with the heights, due to how much less compressed and "broad" in nature a P90 sound is. Generally I don't like neck humbuckers much, they're too muddy and dull for me so a P90 is a better sound and gets me the singlecoil neck tone I like without being thin or scooped like a Fender singlecoil.

If you want to try a stock guitar with this setup a lot of Yamaha Pacifica's have it and the Seymour Duncan ones they use balanced nicely from what I remember.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1591
    I have the same BKP setup in an Explorer and really love the combination.  I also have series/parallel switching on the Warpig to get a thinner sound from it when I want.  It gives a very versatile set of sounds.
  • drpbierdrpbier Frets: 245
    Novo's new model have this configuration. 
  • merlin said:

I’d bloody love one of these. Just look perfect in wavy way. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20603
    merlin said:

Will people please stop posting items about this guitar?
    Costing me a bloody fortune in doing the extra laundry...
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    merlin said:

Don’t tell me.. You saw the price, and shat yourself..?

=) 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20603
    usedtobe said:
    merlin said:

Don’t tell me.. You saw the price, and shat yourself..?

How simply frightfully droll  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1316
    @p90fool I’m sure I’ve asked you before so apologies for repeating myself, what are the pickups in your Goldtop?
    Rowby1 said:
    @p90fool I’m sure I’ve asked you before so apologies for repeating myself, what are the pickups in your Goldtop?
    Currently I have a Kent Armstrong Firebird pickup in the bridge position, and the Mojo Goldfoil I've had for years at the neck, both hidden under regular humbucker covers.
    It's a similar balance to a HB/P90 combination really, just a bit brighter overall.
    p90fool said:
    It's a similar balance to a HB/P90 combination really, just a bit brighter overall.
    I'm feeling that's what I think I'm wanting. I've more or less concluded I prefer brighter pickups generally. It's always possible to soften them off with the tone control. My '93 LP Std has always been a bit of a dark sounding guitar but now I've got 'bucker size P90s it really works well (for me anyway).

I'll have a look into the Firebird and the Mojo Goldfoils then, sounds interesting. Thanks.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10073
    I’ve got a Yamaha PAC611HFM with a (splittable) HB at the bridge and a P90 in the neck position. As @Funkfingers says it’s a very versatile combination. Sadly I’ve fallen out of love with it after realising I prefer a more vintage single coil tone, but for someone wanting the versatility and something other than those ubiquitous Strat or LP tones it certainly delivers.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1525
    edited December 2020
    It's my favourite combination. I find a humbucker in the neck too muffled compared to the bridge, so a P90 seems more balanced.

Built this a year ago and have a LP build with this configuration in progress.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @davros that looks magnificent!
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2648
    tFB Trader
    Also a big fan of that pickup combo.. I used to have a Gary Moore BFG which in itself was a very unique looking instrument. One of the most interesting things about it though was the sound in the middle position.. It sort of sounds like the pickups are fighting each other, but in a good way.. Monstrous sound.

This
    https://i.imgur.com/mkPVV5C.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5NceXCt.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bd6bSMO.jpg
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    SC neck, P90 mid, low gain PAF bridge