What Are You Listening To Now ?

What's Hot

Comments

• joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    Tool's latest. I still don't think this album is their strongest work, with definite padding in places, not to mention a lot of repeated melodies, riffs, basslines and drum parts from their previous work - but having it on through the PC speakers and subwoofer while working has been really nice. I just think they probably need to call it a day unless they're going to do something a bit more evolved on their next album. But by then they'll be hitting 70 years sold so who knows. 

Also they must have heard me because I've somehow lost my CDs of Lateralus and 10,000 Days. 

MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Anyone heard St Vincents new record 'Daddy's home'? Its the first record of hers I've really loved - some seriously seventies sensuous guitar tones  
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2594
    Anyone heard St Vincents new record 'Daddy's home'? Its the first record of hers I've really loved - some seriously seventies sensuous guitar tones  
    I need to hear it a bit more to decide how good it really is but I've been enjoying it more than I expected.  I don't think she's a great singer or songwriter tbh but the imagination and energy that's gone into the production and the arrangements plus the range of style and mood make for a really interesting listen.  And I do like her use of guitar - a lot of retro tones as you say but it never sounds cliched.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randersonranderson Frets: 187
    edited July 2021
    This is a decent track with great playing (IMHO). Little known artist too. Blake Mills esque

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4670
    Right now Chris Cornell -No one sings like you anymore 

a posthumous album of covers, got the vinyl delivered today, his version of Stay with me Baby is bloody amazing IMO 
  • Anyone heard St Vincents new record 'Daddy's home'? Its the first record of hers I've really loved - some seriously seventies sensuous guitar tones  
    I need to hear it a bit more to decide how good it really is but I've been enjoying it more than I expected.  I don't think she's a great singer or songwriter tbh but the imagination and energy that's gone into the production and the arrangements plus the range of style and mood make for a really interesting listen.  And I do like her use of guitar - a lot of retro tones as you say but it never sounds cliched.
    I totally get what you mean - her sound is so unconventional it can be hard to measure her as a songwritter and singer - I think her records are well produced - particairly this one - to compensate for the not always consistent songwriting.... it took my three nights of listening to it lying the dark all the way through before I really got into its immersive universe.... it sounds so lush and has some really interesting lyrics.
    And totally agree re: the retro tones that avoid cliché - what else are you enjoying? Do you ever listen to father John misty or Weyes blood or are your interests further afield? 
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2594
    Anyone heard St Vincents new record 'Daddy's home'? Its the first record of hers I've really loved - some seriously seventies sensuous guitar tones  
    I totally get what you mean - her sound is so unconventional it can be hard to measure her as a songwritter and singer - I think her records are well produced - particairly this one - to compensate for the not always consistent songwriting.... it took my three nights of listening to it lying the dark all the way through before I really got into its immersive universe.... it sounds so lush and has some really interesting lyrics.
    And totally agree re: the retro tones that avoid cliché - what else are you enjoying? Do you ever listen to father John misty or Weyes blood or are your interests further afield? 
     To be honest I don't have a deep knowledge of new music these days, I dip in here and there but I'm more likely to be listening to older stuff or jazz or whatever.

The current artist I've been liking most is Lana Del Rey, but her most recent album is nowhere near as good as the previous one.  i wouldn't agree with @sweepy that there's no duff songs on her albums, but I do agree with him that NFR is sublime. I also liked Frazey Ford's last two albums but that is more purely retro.

I've listened to Weyes Blood's Titanic Rising.  I thought I should have liked it more than I did. The ingredients were all there, songwriting, melodies, vocals, arrangements, production but somehow it all added up to something I found easier to admire than love. I haven't heard her other albums.

Listened a bit to Father John Misty and actually saw him live in late 2017.  Before then I did go through a spell of really liking Pure Comedy, but the enthusiasm didn't really last.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3552
    Having watched this

... I'm presently un-ignoring Genesis. 

Also listening to:

And

randerson said:
    This is a decent track with great playing (IMHO). Little known artist too. Blake Mills esque

The recent Blake Mills/Pino/Sam Gendel stuff is sublime. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18767
    Just heard this from GA-20 on 6 Music & rather enjoyed the energy & rough edged vibe. It's from a new tribute album to Hound Dog Taylor, so blues content advisory rules apply ;)
    https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=qG-aBv2grCM&list=RDAMVMqG-aBv2grCM
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Orchestra Baobab. 

They go back to 1970 ( on and off with many line ups changes) so I’ve no idea where to begin to pick out individual tracks. Senagalese dance band with Latin jazz influences, sometimes traditional percussion and ( I think) thumb pianos, plenty of sax and actual guitars - even some quite long solos - all sung in Senegalese French. 
    Sounds like grooving sunny afternoons. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Orchestra Baobab. 

They go back to 1970 ( on and off with many line ups changes) so I’ve no idea where to begin to pick out individual tracks. Senagalese dance band with Latin jazz influences, sometimes traditional percussion and ( I think) thumb pianos, plenty of sax and actual guitars - even some quite long solos - all sung in Senegalese French. 
    They're great. I've seen them a couple of times. Also check out Super Rail Band de Bamako, Bembeya Jazz and No. 1 de Dakar
    Greatape said:
    Orchestra Baobab. 

They're great. I've seen them a couple of times. Also check out Super Rail Band de Bamako, Bembeya Jazz and No. 1 de Dakar
    Ooh cheers. 
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7149
    The first Tom Petty Album on some nice and crackly vinyl
    Greatape said:
    Orchestra Baobab. 

Ooh cheers. 
    NP. 

If you're into African music in a broader sense: https://afropop.org/audio-programs
    Greatape said:
    Greatape said:
    Orchestra Baobab. 

Ooh cheers. 
    NP. 

If you're into African music in a broader sense: https://afropop.org/audio-programs
    I remember in the 80s there was a lot of interest in African guitar based music with Andy Kershaw playing the tapes on Radio 1. Paul Simon’s Graceland which embraced and repackaged the South African versions was everywhere for a while and the influence crept into a few other places - The Beat had a few tracks, Johnny Marr lifted a lot of the licks. The Bhundu Boys were famous for fifteen minutes and I saw them live. When I was going through my I’m a Serious Bluesman phase there were a few artists like Ali Farke Toure who would get mentioned as the blues of Africa. 
    Not something I’ve ever followed closely but something I’ve dipped into from time to time. I know it’s a bit ‘other’ for some people but lot of amazing guitar going on. 

Greatape said:
    Greatape said:
    Orchestra Baobab. 

Ooh cheers. 
    NP. 

I remember in the 80s there was a lot of interest in African guitar based music with Andy Kershaw playing the tapes on Radio 1. Paul Simon’s Graceland which embraced and repackaged the South African versions was everywhere for a while and the influence crept into a few other places - The Beat had a few tracks, Johnny Marr lifted a lot of the licks. The Bhundu Boys were famous for fifteen minutes and I saw them live. When I was going through my I’m a Serious Bluesman phase there were a few artists like Ali Farke Toure who would get mentioned as the blues of Africa. 
    Not something I’ve ever followed closely but something I’ve dipped into from time to time. I know it’s a bit ‘other’ for some people but lot of amazing guitar going on. 

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14262
    tFB Trader
    New to me anyway - I dare say not to others

Yola - can't get the whole album yet on Apple - But 2/3 good tracks inc single - Starlight