Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The recent violence on Capitol Hill

What's Hot

Comments

• And whilst I wait for the Aus-India Test to resume after rain...

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/white-house-says-national-guard-going-to-capitol

"The Pentagon says about 1,100 D.C. National Guard members are being mobilized to help support law enforcement as violent supporters of President Donald Trump breached the U.S. Capitol.

Pentagon spokesperson Jonathan Hoffman said Wednesday afternoon that defense leaders have been in contact with the city and congressional leadership.

A defense official said all 1,100 of the D.C. Guard were being activated and sent to the city’s armory. The Guard forces will be used at checkpoints and for other similar duties and could also help in the enforcement of the 6 p.m. curfew being implemented tonight in the city.

The officials said the D.C. request for National Guard was not rejected earlier in the day. Instead, according to officials, the Guard members have a very specific mission that does not include putting military in a law enforcement role at the Capitol. As a result, the Guard must be used to backfill law enforcement outside the Capitol complex, freeing up more law enforcement to respond to the Capitol.

Hoffman said the law enforcement response to the violence will be led by the Justice Department."

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • And whilst I wait for the Aus-India Test to resume after rain...

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/white-house-says-national-guard-going-to-capitol

"The Pentagon says about 1,100 D.C. National Guard members are being mobilized to help support law enforcement as violent supporters of President Donald Trump breached the U.S. Capitol.

Pentagon spokesperson Jonathan Hoffman said Wednesday afternoon that defense leaders have been in contact with the city and congressional leadership.

A defense official said all 1,100 of the D.C. Guard were being activated and sent to the city’s armory. The Guard forces will be used at checkpoints and for other similar duties and could also help in the enforcement of the 6 p.m. curfew being implemented tonight in the city.

The officials said the D.C. request for National Guard was not rejected earlier in the day. Instead, according to officials, the Guard members have a very specific mission that does not include putting military in a law enforcement role at the Capitol. As a result, the Guard must be used to backfill law enforcement outside the Capitol complex, freeing up more law enforcement to respond to the Capitol.

Hoffman said the law enforcement response to the violence will be led by the Justice Department."

That's what I was alluding to earlier - the National Guard can't be deployed in government buildings. I'm pretty sure that's baked into the law because they are deployed at the President's discretion, and as such could be used by a rogue POTUS to stay in power (ie by intimidating members of Congress, among other things).
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • S if we take that above page as gospel, that would explain why there was sod all National Guard at the Capitol building and why we've seen law enforcement in the video footage. 

Fascinating place, DC. It came up last night whilst sitting up for the Georgia result, the notion of DC statehood and voting rights.  

• RobertWRobertW Frets: 148
    It's interesting that Trump hasn't told them to leave.  They merely told them to stay peaceful.

Peaceful while storming the Capitol building, causing the law makers to barricade the doors…anyone who take their side is a ****.  
    Telling people to go home was one of the very first things he said: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJuCyzpDmt_/ 

Sorry to interject with actual facts, please continue with your 'Orange man bad' circle jerk. 
    5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12050
    edited January 2021
    RobertW said:
    It's interesting that Trump hasn't told them to leave.  They merely told them to stay peaceful.

Peaceful while storming the Capitol building, causing the law makers to barricade the doors…anyone who take their side is a ****.  
    Telling people to go home was one of the very first things he said: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJuCyzpDmt_/ 

Sorry to interject with actual facts, please continue with your 'Orange man bad' circle jerk. 
    Here is something you won't hear Trump and their supporters say. But that source is terrible.

I stand corrected.
  • That's what I was alluding to earlier - the National Guard can't be deployed in government buildings. I'm pretty sure that's baked into the law because they are deployed at the President's discretion, and as such could be used by a rogue POTUS to stay in power (ie by intimidating members of Congress, among other things).
    Sorry, I totally missed your post. The eyes are feeling it after the all-nighter last night. AANNNNNNND I should have just Wiki'd it: 

"The District of Columbia Army National Guard was formed in 1802 by President Thomas Jefferson to defend the newly created District of Columbia. It has always been led by a Commanding General as opposed to an Adjutant General and is the only Army National Guard state-level organization activated by the President of the United States for natural and civil emergencies.[1] The Mayor of the District of Columbia may request assistance of the National Guard assets for local purposes after consulting with the President."

So with that in mind and now that several news orgs including Fox are running with the news that the order came from Pence and not Trump, surely this is the end now? We're talking absolute dereliction of duty here. 

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27081
    edited January 2021
    RobertW said:

Yes - in his very belated video. But then, of course, he went on to restate the things he used to incite the unrest in the first place, which negates his point to a certain degree.

In any case, the key part is that the video wasn't his first response. The Tweet he sent out to begin with was exactly as @RaymondLin said - he just said to stay peaceful, but (from memory) to let their feelings be known or some such. The video came about an hour and a half later, as I recall.
    <space for hire>
    edited January 2021
    So he did say, Eventually…

guns, bombs, surely I can call them terrorists? 

"We love you, you are very special", what a nice guy.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2021
    RobertW said:

Sorry to interject with ACTUAL facts, it's not ONE of the very FIRST THING he said.  A BETTER source of news above.

I love threads like these, it shows who the Trump supporters are.
  • RobertW said:

But not the first thing he said

"I know your pain, I know you're hurt. We had an election that was stolen from us. It was a landslide election and everyone knows it, especially the other side. But you have to go home now. We have to have peace. We have to have law and order. We have to respect our great people in law and order. We don't want anybody hurt.

It's a very tough period of time. There's never been a time like this where such a thing happened where they could take it away from all of us — from me, from you, from our country. This was a fraudulent election, but we can't play into the hands of these people. We have to have peace. So go home. We love you. You're very special. You've seen what happens. You see the way others are treated that are so bad and so evil.

I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace."

P1: he started the video consoling the invaders for their pain. He then moves onto his stolen election wank fantasy. A quick bitch at the Democrats. And then he tells them to go home.

P2: the go home message coms well over halfway into p2 and he tells them how special they are.

P3: go home. Well, it's pithy. 

Overall assessment: it was more important to get the shit message out than to tell the fuckers to go home. Sorry to interject with the actual transcript. Please continue to touch your special area whilst thinking about how badly behaved the Democrats were today in the Capitol building.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14743
    Trump is not a Fascist. He is a Trumpist. 

In his business and Golfing life, Trump is used to getting his own way. Cheating, lying and intimidation are his modus operandi. (Not unlike the late Robert Maxwell.) As POTUS, he expected things to be much the same. Unfortunately for him, politics does not work like that. (As illustrated by the current television series Inside Obama's White House.

Some of Trump's support base does fit the academic definitions of Fascism. Trump carefully harnesses their beliefs to win votes.

When the dust settles, it should be possible to find some good in the Trump presidency. (Probably increased business confidence - founded or otherwise.) Overall, I suspect, the promises that got the man elected will turn out not to have been delivered.

Pretty much like nearly all political leaders, then.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Trump lies, his supporters lies.

Add that to death and taxes, the other certainties in life.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27692
    The cognitive dissonance is astonishing. 

Basically: “So we broke into the Capitol building and the Secret Service did their jobs and shot the person at the front of the crowd who were trying to get into the chamber full of politicians. But it’s definitely “the establishment” who are in the wrong.”

This will be played at his trial. I’m pretty sure it will be a quick trial...

https://youtu.be/ip1DsbDjbO0
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    And then you have this guy - the full trifecta of Gravy Seal cosplay, Blue Lives Matter flag patch and Punisher emblem. And carrying zip ties because they were definitely just wanted to make some noise and not take hostages or hurt anyone.

The good news is Ilhan Omar is drawing a up impeachment articles and reports seem to be suggesting they’re seriously considering the 25th amendment. 

It’s unquestionable at this point that Trump should be removed and tried for sedition and/or treason.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2021

Fretwired said:
    I love all the play down his supporters are doing.  They KNOW they are wrong, but there is a part of their brain that just can't say they are.

A mob with automatic weapons stormed the Capitol.

Read that out loud, if you can't grasp the gravity of that, read it again, and again.

What automatic weapons? Police found five handguns.

A screenshot from the video of the woman getting shot definitely had what looked like an AR15 in the hands of one of the terrorists. I’m not sure if it was police or one of the terrorists holding it.

Police have confirmed they have found guns and bombs and Molotov cocktails, and so far they’ve somehow only arrested 59 people. I must say I find the doublethink astounding 
    On the plus side, no one but that fucker with the zip ties seem to have worn a mask, so it should be easy enough to round them all up, even if the process doesn’t start till 21 Jan
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14743
    impeachment
    Too slow.

the 25th amendment.  
    This.

Trump should be denied access to the nuke button ASAP.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    impeachment
    Too slow.

the 25th amendment.  
    This.

Trump should be denied access to the nuke button ASAP.
     In reality I think 25th then impeachment then prosecution, starting today.