How to find out the 11 digit v5c number on a car 'sold' to motor trade

What's Hot
VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16461
I bought a new car back in the summer, the dealer arranged to collect my old banger as part of the deal. I gave all the paperwork to the chap who came to collect it and he said they'd do everything. Today I got a payment reminder to tax the vehicle. In order to transfer the vehicle to the new owner I need the v5c 11 digit number, which I don't have as I gave it all to the dealer. What can I do?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    Apart from inform the dvla/tax people and the dealer I dunno? 

If the dealers not about maybe start with the dvla see if you’re still the registered owner
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16461
    well, presumably I am the registered keeper if they've sent me a tax reminder. I've just got off the phone to the dealer, he says he's going to 'do some digging'. 

What's odd about this is I got a tax refund for this car a few weeks before xmas. Reason being, I am no longer the keeper of the car. I'm tempted to just ignore the whole thing, fuck em.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Just before Christmas I traded the previous car in for a new one at the dealership, filled in the V5 slip for transfer of ownership, and sent it off. Then a few weeks ago I got a reminder to tax the car I'd traded in.

I did some digging on the DVLA website, and I'm fairly sure you can just ignore it as long as you sent the slip off. If not, might be worth seeing if you can contact DVLA, but good luck because I'm certain their service is very slow these days.

I ignored it, and haven't yet had any bailiffs round, or any threatening letters.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah, was trying all day yesterday on the phone, no luck just so busy. I did find out that if you send the details to them in writing, you don't need the 11 digit number, so I'll try that. It's just the way I got a refund on the tax I paid back in July for the car, but am now getting a reminder. Left and right hands and all that.

VimFuego said:
    Yeah, was trying all day yesterday on the phone, no luck just so busy. I did find out that if you send the details to them in writing, you don't need the 11 digit number, so I'll try that. It's just the way I got a refund on the tax I paid back in July for the car, but am now getting a reminder. Left and right hands and all that.
    Now you mention it, I also got a road tax refund for the period when I traded the car in November, until the end of December (it was taxed up until 31st.). Did you fill the change of ownership slip in and send it to DVLA? 

For what it’s worth, a friend of mine has just waited 4 months for a new V5 to arrive.

VimFuego said:
    Now you mention it, I also got a road tax refund for the period when I traded the car in November, until the end of December (it was taxed up until 31st.). Did you fill the change of ownership slip in and send it to DVLA? 

For what it’s worth, a friend of mine has just waited 4 months for a new V5 to arrive.
    I'm trying to remember what happened, it was less than a month after my wife died and I was a bit foggy. I know I signed the paperwork and the guy who dropped of the new car and took the old one away also took all the paperwork, I don't recall sending anything off.

VimFuego said:
    VimFuego said:

I'm trying to remember what happened, it was less than a month after my wife died and I was a bit foggy. I know I signed the paperwork and the guy who dropped of the new car and took the old one away also took all the paperwork, I don't recall sending anything off.

Ah, fair enough.

I got the reminder even after having sent the slip off, which in normal times, shouldn't have happened. I suspect the reminders are computer-generated and unless a person actually enters the data to say the car has been sold/transferred/sold, then the reminders get spewed out.

If it were me, I think I'd send a recorded-delivery, arse-covering letter explaining what happened, just in case of any more old cobblers from them. Not that I don't trust government agencies, perish the thought.

Just spoken to the dealer, he scrapped the car and informed DVLA of this, which is probably why I got the refund. I'll try and talk to someone at DVLA next week, but I may well send another letter recorded delivery as you suggest. 
    My main concern is I'm moving house in the next month (if the lawyers ever get a move on) and don't really want this hanging over me. If I had to guess, I'd say this is a bit of a covid cock up, hopefully it'll get sorted. 

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10967
    Defo speak to someone at DVLA, because this can come back and bite you in the arse a year later. Basically when a car is registered to you then you are responsible for every parking ticket, car tax payment etc and fines can amount to thousands. 

Check the DVLA website, there should be no record of the car if it has been scrapped and they are aware it has. 

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/?_ga=2.73502614.528990130.1610187043-761660062.1608021606

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:
    Defo speak to someone at DVLA, because this can come back and bite you in the arse a year later. Basically when a car is registered to you then you are responsible for every parking ticket, car tax payment etc and fines can amount to thousands. 

Check the DVLA website, there should be no record of the car if it has been scrapped and they are aware it has. 

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/?_ga=2.73502614.528990130.1610187043-761660062.1608021606

ah, so it came back as "vehicle details could not be found", so I'm guessing this means they are aware it has been scrapped?

VimFuego said:
    Danny1969 said:

ah, so it came back as "vehicle details could not be found", so I'm guessing this means they are aware it has been scrapped?

Yeah, my car that was scrapped comes up as that so you are good. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:
    VimFuego said:
    Danny1969 said:

Yeah, my car that was scrapped comes up as that so you are good. 
    cheers mate, that has really reassured me. I won't lie, in my poor mental/emotional state, this was causing me huge amounts of anxiety. I was envisaging a stupid bureaucratic loop that it was impossible to get out of. I'll still try and contact DVLA next week and just confirm with them, but it was really getting to me.

• DVLA will automatically issue a penalty (£80?) if tax expires and vehicle is in your name. I'd sort it out before that occurs as you can end up having to deal with a 3rd party debt collection agency too.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5101
    Don't know if declaring it SORN would be of any use.

However, if the dealer says it has been scrapped, then any fine would sort itself out; it's probably just that the reminder/warnings are an easily automated system, whereas the process which handles scrapping is a slower/manual one and they may not have the staff working on it under the current circumstances.
    prowla said:
    Don't know if declaring it SORN would be of any use.

However, if the dealer says it has been scrapped, then any fine would sort itself out; it's probably just that the reminder/warnings are an easily automated system, whereas the process which handles scrapping is a slower/manual one and they may not have the staff working on it under the current circumstances.
    yeah, I did think of that, but you still need the 11 digit number to SORN it. As you say, I'm convinced it's an automated thing and the manual process is just taking longer, especially with covid work restrictions etc. 

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12878
    On another point, get your mail redirected when you move, so if there is any follow-up you can still be notified. 

It’s also surprising how many people and companies you forget to tell when you move. We moved house just before Xmas and thought we’d notified everyone but obviously not, judging by the amount of Xmas cards and letters that still went to our old address. 
    The car doesn't exist any more so he won't be able to SORN it  ...basically when it's scrapped DVLA remove it from their records. 
    They do keep a register of scrapped vehicles though
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • sofastevesofasteve Frets: 39
    edited January 2021
    If not resolved I think they'll sent two letters out 14 days apart then double the fine and pass to DCA to collect for them .The penalty wont appear on your credit file.

I used to work for a Debt Collection Agency that collected these penalties on behalf of DVLA. Try to contact DVLA via phone first then website before current tax expires otherwise you'll end up with more work to do to get the situation resolved! Also obtain confirmation (email or letter) from DVLA that the vehicle no longer belongs to you.

Good luck!
  • I used to work at the DVLA in 1983. They were shit then too
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom