The TV Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• TimcitoTimcito Frets: 877
    edited June 1
    Timcito said:
    Well, in Fool Me Once, we have one actor with a posh accent, Joanna Lumley, who plays a wealthy matriarch in a leafy mansion. Everyone else, including her daughter, speaks with a variety of regional accents. 
    Correction. It's her daughter-in-law, not her daughter. It's Lumley's son who got killed, and he's played by the tall 40-something actor from the north with the pointy nose. Let's see how he speaks when he eventually makes an appearance; straight from the early scenes it appears that his death was some kind of hoax.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 803
    edited June 1
    Finally got to "the gentleman". 

I liked it more than I thought I would tbh. Probably better than the movie. 
    Not sure about the lead actor though, a bit beige next to the other characters. The brother was better.

Got to love v Jones, the least likely Hollywood star! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 397
    Russian Doll - Netflix

Kind of time travel, Mrs J described it as Dr Who for grown ups. Features swearing, drug references etc. 
    Two seasons at this point, we've just started season two.

It's very good IMHO.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6225
    edited June 1
    If you're a science fiction fan then definitely check out the new animated series Scavengers Reign on Netflix.
    It's so original in how it presents a truly alien world that is far removed from normal human understanding.
    It's destined to be a cult classic me thinks.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    Jfingers said:
    Russian Doll - Netflix

Kind of time travel, Mrs J described it as Dr Who for grown ups. Features swearing, drug references etc. 
    Two seasons at this point, we've just started season two.

It's very good IMHO.
    Yup, good show that. 
    equalsql said:
    If you're a science fiction fan then definitely check out the new animated series Scavengers Reign on Netflix.
    It's so original in how it presents a truly alien world that is far removed from normal human understanding.
    It's destined to be a cult classic me thinks.

Yeah, enjoyed that. 

I bit slow to get going but quite gripping towards the end. 

Reminds me of the "alien worlds" series. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12527
    Has anyone watched Mayor of Kingstown, there’s three series of it but I’ve never heard anyone mentioned it and wondered whether it’s worth investing in. 
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4235
    Another "late to the party" post - we watched Derry Girls. Absolutely loved it, very funny, and extremely warm too.

Watching We Are Lady Parts now, and thoroughly enjoying it. It's very funny, and the music is great too.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6225
    Another "late to the party" post - we watched Derry Girls. Absolutely loved it, very funny, and extremely warm too.

Watching We Are Lady Parts now, and thoroughly enjoying it. It's very funny, and the music is great too.
    Yep, We Are Lady Parts is great fun. Mrs equalsql and I really enjoyed the first series so it's great to see there's a new season of shows recently put up.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Finally got round to watching Ripley on Netflix last week. Absolutely loved it. I'm a huge Patricia Highsmith fan and have read most of her books, so already knew the story and character very well. I enjoyed Matt Damon's portrayal of Tom back in the 90s, but Andrew Scott absolutely blows it into another dimension. Incredible performance, deliciously malevolent!

Loved the style and the slow, measured pacing of it. Reminded me a bit of The Third Man David Lean style noir. Excellent performance also from the Italian actor playing the detective. 

10/10
  • BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 684
    VASA on bbc iPlayer is worth a watch if you're interested in history, maritime stuff etc. it's about the Swedish equivalent of the Mary Rose, though bigger and about a century later.
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1770
    munckee said:
    Has anyone watched Mayor of Kingstown, there’s three series of it but I’ve never heard anyone mentioned it and wondered whether it’s worth investing in. 
    Yes, it's good, been discussed earlier in this thread somewhere. It's not long, so you'll get through it fairly quick. I felt halfway through that it's bit "samey" but then it had few twists and turns. 
    It's good TV, and Renner is great in it.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16341
    Philly_Q said:
    I found out today that Disney+ have an upcoming series based on C.J. Sansom's Shardlake books. 

From the trailer it doesn't look that promising, to be honest, but I liked the books so I'll give it a go.

Watched two episodes so far. I get the impression that Bean was given a wad of cash for an afternoon’s filming and his image is being rather over used in selling it. 
    Still, enjoying the story and the performances. It does look very annoyingly wrong. Filmed on locations in, I think, Romania and Austria it’s like a guided tour of Eastern European medieval architecture. Probably nowhere in the U.K. they could have actually filmed it to have such buildings that intact but it just doesn’t look English. 

Watched two series of Blue Lights. It’s fine, but it’s a poor man’s Happy Valley really. 

Watched The Ones Who Live which is a Walking Dead spin off. If you aren’t familiar with TWD it would be meaningless. 

And watched the last series of Taskmaster. Wasn’t their best but I was sustained by my crush on Sophie Willan and an appreciation of Steve Pemberton’s bizarre imagination. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12492
    We’ve started on Shardlake and likewise are two episodes in. It’s like a cross between Name of the Rose and Cadfael so far. The CGI is decidedly dodgy in places but I’m still quite enjoying it, although Shardlake is nothing like I imagined from the books. Barak is spot on however, though strictly speaking he shouldn’t be in this series, as he turns up much later in the books. I couldn’t place where I’d seen the actor before until my wife pointed out he was in Masters of the Air as Bing.  
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3960
    Anyone watched Kin?

I've just started season two and am enjoying it. 

Kinda like a white Irish version of Top Boy.
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1832
    Just finished the four episodes of Camden on Disney+. Reasonably enjoyable if not particularly in depth. Worth a watch though
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 964
    edited June 12
    Eric on Netflix

This has slight shades of the film Magic (the one starring Anthony Hopkins as the ventriloquist) only there's more layers to it.
    I'm only up to episode 4 but so far it's pretty engrossing and well acted.
    Set in 80s I guess Benedict Cumberbatch is very good as the obsessed but self-destructive, alcoholic, Muppet-style puppeteer who's falling apart - his marriage is already on the rocks but then his young son is kidnapped. 
    The main cop is also interesting character with a complex background. Intelligent stuff so far - I hope it stays that way.

• CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3263
    Started watching Elementary again the other night.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23534
    Challenge has started showing old episodes of Through the Keyhole with David Frost and Loyd Grossman.  Wow, it's interesting but it hasn't aged well.

• BrioBrio Frets: 1945
    Started watching Elementary again the other night.
    A great show. I massively preferred it to Sherlock.