The TV Thread

What's Hot
1676869707173»

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12506
    Just finished Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live. A stand alone Rick and Michonne sequel. 

Unless you’re
    A. a massive completist
    B. a WD freak or
    C. a masochist
    my advice is don’t bother, as it’s an utter and total crock of shit. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16365
    Started on Fallout on Prime. Not sure it's really me but if you've got a big telly and want something that looks nice and isn't a nature documentary might be something to go for. There is quite a strong sense of humour so every time I think nah there's a joke and it lifts me through the next twenty minutes. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 816
    New Rick and morty on Netflix!
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3263
    Brio said:
    Started watching Elementary again the other night.
    A great show. I massively preferred it to Sherlock. 

I think it's a brilliant take on the original stories, I just don't think it's as good as the series made by Granada Television starring Jeremy Brett.  For me what lets it down is:

The cinematography - Holmes solves a hell of a lot of cases by pulling evidence out of thin air

The lack of recurring characters - Ms Hudson for example is a staple of the stories, she's in just about every story, yet in Elementary I think she is in 2 maybe 3 episodes.

Despite Sherlock and his father's claims that his -  Sherlock's, needs are simple - a clean collar and a loaf of bread, unlike the originally stories where his wealth and means of support are self earned through his ''work'', in Elementary, he's an extremely obvious ''trust fund kid'' slumming it with extremely expensive tastes - his scarf for example costs over USD$500 his watch is a Frank Muller Round with Arabic numerals a watch that costs over USD$15k his shoes are all by John Varvatos not just the two tone boots all cost a grand if not more and it's the same with his clothing everything he wears is luxurious designer labels even his casual t-shirts and peabody coat.

I'm rewatching it, not just because I don't want to start something ''new'' - as in new to us that none of us have seen before, while the girlfriend is away working on the Isle of Man, but because it's a show that despite my ''complaints'', I really enjoy, even on a second viewing.

• TimcitoTimcito Frets: 880
    Brio said:

I think it's a brilliant take on the original stories, I just don't think it's as good as the series made by Granada Television starring Jeremy Brett. 

That has to be among the biggest understatements of the year!   ;)
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3263
    Timcito said:
    Brio said:

I think it's a brilliant take on the original stories, I just don't think it's as good as the series made by Granada Television starring Jeremy Brett. 

That has to be among the biggest understatements of the year!   ;)

Jeremy Brett was truly amazing as Sherlock Holmes, he was so good as Holmes, that he not only made the role his, but any time people picture Holmes, they picture Jeremy Brett in his dear stalker, despite Holmes never wearing one in any of Arthur Conan Doyle's original stories, which all but one of the episodes was faithfully based on - the episode where Holmes and Watson go on holiday to the seaside for Holmes to get a much needed rest and quit his drug habit which was only made because Granada was not prepared for how popular the show would be or how young an audience it would appeal to
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1417
    James Blunt - One Brit Wonder NETFLIX - it's a sort of companion piece to the On The Road with James Blunt book - which remains the best account I've read of what it's like to be on a tour bus and going from arena to arena for 15 months and the city stops in between.

Interesting doc - warts and all - it sounds like the first tour was basically a 2 year stag do. 
    It's not the most glamourous of lives - I take it you have to be the sort of person who can adapt to basically living in a bubble, hanging around in strip lit windowless rooms backstage before piling onto a coach post gig and driving thru the night to the next city / rinse / repeat. Certainly not for me.

He details the posh upbringing, the Kosovo stuff and the unpleasant backlash he suffered from a lot of people who should have know a lot better.

There is an interesting moment on Isle of Man. A middle aged woman is star struck on meeting him on the seafront. Blunt asks if she is coming to the show that night. Nope! Rather bizarre.

He's certainly leaned into the funny, self aware charmer persona. I think he does kinda reveal a little too much sunlight here on the mystique of stardom - but ... interesting.

...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1777
    Is anyone watching "Dark Matter" with Jennifer Connely and Joel Edgerton? I think it's brilliant, even if a bit silly.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 556
    Just finished Series 3 of The Boys  just in time for 4 .  Homelander still creeps me out.