Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Recommend me some sci-fi and fantasy reading

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• westfordwestford Frets: 581
     Also Hugh Howey's Silo series is very good.
    Just finished that, I enjoyed it a lot.

I’ll probably go back to Robin Hobb’s Royal Assassin now, it’s good but I’m reading it on my Kindle and I prefer a paperback tbh.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I decided to start with some Robin Hobb, got a couple of books incoming. Like @westford I’ve got a kindle but prefer a physical book in my hands. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7429
    I’m reading Tiger Tiger on the strength of this thread - it’s pretty good so thanks.

im going through a phase of really wanting to read proper boys own sci-fi sci-fi rather than “Eastenders set in the year 22000” - I’m all out of Feist, Hamilton, Reynolds - I grabbed Cage Of Souls by Adrian Tchaikovsky but it’s not very spacey-sci-fi so took a break. I LOVED his Children Of.. books though. 

Guiltily addicted to the Murderbot books so can’t wait for the next one
    Red ones are better. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    boogieman said:

We’ve got the full set of Game of Thrones books so far. My wife was really into them. But then I’ve watched the tv series and am wondering if they’re still worth reading, now I know a lot of what happens? Maybe they’re different enough to make it worthwhile? 
    I wouldn't bother, we're still owed the last 2 volumes ......

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ColsCols Frets: 7014
    Jalapeno said:
    boogieman said:

We’ve got the full set of Game of Thrones books so far. My wife was really into them. But then I’ve watched the tv series and am wondering if they’re still worth reading, now I know a lot of what happens? Maybe they’re different enough to make it worthwhile? 

Don’t hold your breath; it’s been 10 years since the last one, and it looks like the author had been sidetracked by yet another side quest.

https://www.polygon.com/2021/2/25/22301303/george-r-r-martin-new-hbo-series-roadmarks-roger-zelazny-kalinda-vazquez

Given that he’s on the wrong side of 70, doesn’t appear to be in the best physical shape, and isn’t exactly motivated to crank out more books I don’t think we’ll ever see the series finished.

Realistically, he should just admit that he’d rather be doing something else and turn his outline over to a ghostwriter to do the heavy lifting.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22930

Jalapeno said:
    boogieman said:

I was a fan of George R. R. Martin's short stories and earlier novels like Fevre Dream and The Armageddon Rag.  When the first Game of Thrones book came out I bought it but didn't get round to reading it.

It was a big surprise when it became a TV phenomenon - I thought "isn't that the GRRM book I didn't read?".  Then I realised there were loads of - very thick - books and I just couldn't be bothered.  I haven't seen the series either, although I'd watch it if it was easily accessible.

• BrioBrio Frets: 1850
     I haven't seen the series either, although I'd watch it if it was easily accessible.

About 2 years ago I got so much grief from co workers thar I said I’d start watching it. I knew the USP was “Tits and dragons” and 40 minutes into S01 E01 I’d seen neither so I gave up on it.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22930
    Brio said:
     I haven't seen the series either, although I'd watch it if it was easily accessible.

About 2 years ago I got so much grief from co workers thar I said I’d start watching it. I knew the USP was “Tits and dragons” and 40 minutes into S01 E01 I’d seen neither so I gave up on it.

I'd guess both tits and dragons would've turned up eventually....  I've just Googled where to watch it and I see it is on Amazon, but at £23.99 per season!  No thanks.  I could buy the complete series on Blu-ray for less than £100.

Maybe it'll be free on Amazon Prime some time before I die.
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    Snap said:
    My all time favourite fantasy series, if not full stop , is the Malazan Book of The Fallen series by Steven Erikson. IMO, the absolute top of the game. The accompanying series by his pal Ian C Esslemont is good too. Not as good, but good enough, and they get better as he moves through them. There are 10 books in the core series, with 9 by Esslemont plus a couple of novellas. 
    I’ve just re-read this thread as I was looking for suggestions too. I’ve just ordered the first three books in the Malazan series. I’m looking forward to starting them. 
  • All statues fall before Jeff Noon.

Bye!

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5158
    Brio said:

You were only maybe five minutes off some tits. The dragons didn't turn up til episode 10.

"Tits and Dragons" were probably the least interesting things on the show (and I like tits as much as the next guy), so if you hadn't seen anything that interested you in the first 40 minutes you probably did right to pack it in.

boogieman said:

The TV show is very faithful to the first book but diverges significantly after that. The show is massively simplified compared to the books- characters are merged or left out and plotlines are given to other characters. It's essentially a truism that the book is better than the film whenever the book comes first.

The book series is incomplete though- George R R Martin gave the GOT showrunners an outline of his planned story for the last two books but still hasn't finished writing them.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.