Can I have a 'proper' amp at home, please?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• markvmarkv Frets: 460
    As for having a valve amp at home volumes, I've had a Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18 (10" combo) for the last 5 years or so and it's great. Scales down from 18W to 5W to 1W and then to nothing if you want to take a DI out of it.

Tubemeisters aren't particularly in favour around here, I think, but it's done its job fantastically well as far as I am concerned.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4788
    edited March 2021
    markv said:
    As for having a valve amp at home volumes, I've had a Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18 (10" combo) for the last 5 years or so and it's great. Scales down from 18W to 5W to 1W and then to nothing if you want to take a DI out of it.

Tubemeisters aren't particularly in favour around here, I think, but it's done its job fantastically well as far as I am concerned.
    I liked them, but I preferred the 1x12 version as I found the 1x10 a bit too toppy, and it struggled when the amp was cranked. Had a chance to pick up a 1x12 a few years back at a great price but talked myself out of it as I didn't need another amp. Serves me right for listening to myself. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • markvmarkv Frets: 460
    Voxman said:
    markv said:

I liked them, but I preferred the 1x12 version as I found the 1x10 a bit too toppy, and it struggled when the amp was cranked. Had a chance to pick up a 1x12 a few years back at a great price but talked myself out of it as I didn't need another amp. Serves me right for listening to myself. 
    Yes, I know what you mean, although I don't mind it too much. The 1x10 suffers from having a cheap stock speaker (a Celestion Ten 30). I replaced it with a Celestion G10 Creamback and it's a definite improvement.
  • arayadisarayadis Frets: 47
    You can check out Marshall Silver Jubilee amps. There are combo and Mini Head with 2x12 Matched Cabinet options. Both amps have a 5watt option and sound killer.

• kentuckyklirakentuckyklira Frets: 966
    edited March 2021
    The Blues Junior is a boxy sounding pile of arse.
    The Hot Rod Deluxe and the Blues Deluxe Reissue are far better but for reasons explained above is difficult to control at home volumes. But they can have a vol pot modification or use an attenuator.

This! I´m very happy with my HRD. It´s my go to amp at home currently. I have an extra volume pot thingy in the effect loop which adds some versatility.
    Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.