Hit a problem and need advice

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• That LTD is even more expensive than the JIVA10 but not by much and it does look really nice so I've added that to the list.

The problem with the Jem is that the ones I can afford don't have good trems and when I think about just paying the extra, I realise there are other options at that price point I'd prefer.

Anyone able to tell me anything about the Edge-Zero II?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I'm enjoying the food here, my wife not so much. We're both struggling with the heat!

On the boring subject of guitars, I don't want a single coil in the neck so the Satriani is out. 

I know the Pro Dinky and DK24 are serious possibilities. The Hellraiser looks good other than having to switch from actives to passives. I like everything about the Jiva10 except for the price, which seems very high given that the first thing I'll do is remove two of the pickups!
    I'm sorry your aren't enjoying your wife!

I think in general Ibanez trems are good if you avoid the ones with numbers in.

Edge, Lo-Pro etc are good.
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    I’d go with an RG that floats your boat, plenty to choose from and the design is such a classic, love it. Ibanez vibratos are great, I’ve never had a bad one.  
    The Nita Strauss Jiva inlays have to be the coolest ever, i’ve only ever seen one so best of luck tracking one down as they’rr something a little different. 
    Hope you’re enjoying Malaysia, i found it almost too hot tbh but yes the food is great. 

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    If you want a brighter sounding guitar, a pickup swap in a guitar you like might be an option.  Most of those you listed that you own (or have owned) will have overwound pickups that suck out the high end detail.  Get something that's more of a PAF style pickup, and it will sound brighter (and more dynamic).

You can always turn the gain on pedals and amps up with lower output pickups, but you can never replicate the missing top end detail that you lose by having overwound pickups.
  • So, the Edge-Zero II should be avoided as it has a number in it. A useful way of remembering what to look for and as I don't want to have the trouble of replacing parts or entire bridges, that's the JIVA10 out. It's a shame as I just love the look of that guitar.

Pickups are an interesting problem. So far I've changed the pickups in every guitar I've owned so I tend to do it without thinking now. They have mostly been from either Bare Knuckle or The Creamery and in the past, the bridge pickup has always been aimed at 80s Metal so I've used a Holydiver and Miracle Man from Bare Knuckle and the Classic '83 and Double Six from The Creamery. They're all very hot but they were all chosen to fit well with the guitar. This time is a bit different as I really have a hankering to use a Super Distortion in the bridge so I reasoned a brighter guitar might be better and I'm therefore hoping either the DK24 or Pro Dinky will feel right. I usually use a PAF in the neck, ideally with an alnico 2 magnet. The Super Distortion would actually be the lowest DC resistance I've ever had in a bridge pickup but I realise it's still hot.
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    edited March 2021
    Avoid bridges with numbers in?? 
    Does that mean the Floyd 1000 and Les Paul 59 are also out?
    And Alnico 2 and 80s metal on the same basis

The Jiva10 is a cool guitar, even with numbers in
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LOL, I think he was referring to numbers only in relation to Ibanez bridges  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom