At 69 Glenn Hughes still sounds pretty amazing

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Jalapeno said:
    axisus said:
    Considering how many people don't look after their voices, Glenn is still a kick ass singer. I just chanced upon this band, the Dead Daisies - never heard of them before but apparently they have 5 albums in the can. Anyway, I thought that it was a cool rockin' track and Glenn sounds surprisingly good.

Is it a question of looking after your voice, or is it luck of the draw?
    I've heard a few where it's all gone wrong (e.g. David Coverdale), whereas Tom Jones is still singing competently at 80
    And Tony Bennett into his 90s (though very sad he has Altzhiemers now)

I didn't enjoy Black Country Communion at all, it sounded fake and forced throughout. Not blaming JoBo for that - his Beth Hart collaboration is ace - Glenn Hughes feels like a legend in his own head, just don't like the sound or the aura.

Paul Rodgers knocked it out of the park in Portsmouth a couple of years ago, he was 69 then I think. Fluffed up the mic throw a couple of times though!
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22928
    Jalapeno said:

I didn't enjoy Black Country Communion at all, it sounded fake and forced throughout. Not blaming JoBo for that - his Beth Hart collaboration is ace - Glenn Hughes feels like a legend in his own head, just don't like the sound or the aura.

I (partly) blame JoBo.  BCC was disappointing anyway, but Bonamassa's version of "rock" as opposed to "blues-rock" playing seems to be to solo like Eric Johnson.  It didn't work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 545
    Yes, saw him live in 2019 and definitely has got it still, both vocally and bass playing wise.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    west said:

Years and years ago I owned a compilation album with one track from that album on it, that's probably the first time I've ever heard another. He's a bit less histrionic there isn't he? 

Anyway, the one track I've know for thirty years...

...there's a lot of reverb but otherwise great riff based old school rock.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22928
    EricTheWeary said:

Anyway, the one track I've know for thirty years...
    I knew it would be Muscle & Blood!  :)
  • westwest Frets: 996
    Great Tune ! but then i love the whole album , not a duffer in sight for me  ... !!
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Hard to criticise someone with a cv like his, and at 70 he’s singing as well as ever.  Agree he could tone it down a bit, but overall love just about everything he’s done, the new Daisies albums is a great hard rock album, in the ‘ they don’t make em like that anymore’ style.  A bit dated, but really makes me smile

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3078

He also seems to think Cannock is in the Black Country; I don't think it is, it's just where people from the Black Country go dogging.   

@EricTheWeary I properly arfed at that :) I'm sure there are probably dogging opportunities at Sandwell Valley or even Barr Beacon that would be more convenient for BCers.

Medusa ftw. He's got some pipes has Glenn.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"