Metallica - Black Album Box Set / Reissue

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22859
    Boromedic said:
    I was wondering how they could possibly make it sound better, for me it's one of the best sounding albums of all time. Yet the remastered tracks on Spotify do sound ever so slightly better, I'll be interested to hear the vinyl when I get it and compare.

The box set isn't obscene when you see what you get, so I'm happy, it wasn't cheap and I have no idea on availability.

I know you say dislike them now, but if you did like them prior to say Load, then check out Hardwired, thats the best thing they've done since that era, for me anyway.
    I may end up getting the CD version - I don't know what or how much that means I'd be missing out on.  I haven't got back into vinyl (although I still have all my old albums from the 80s), I don't have anything to play it on and I don't want to keep acquiring "stuff", so I certainly won't be getting the super-duper ultimate box, whatever it may contain.

I have got Hardwired - I was going to say I've got everything except Lulu and S&M 2, but now you have all these semi-official live albums and I haven't got any of those...  I think Hardwired was a step up from DM and St Anger, but again the tracks are all too long and they're a bunch of riffs in search of a song.  I just find it tiring to listen to. 

I've fallen out of love with the band, basically... I even have to admit I'm more interested in the next Megadeth album than anything Metallica might do, and they've been shit for years as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4819
    edited August 2021
    Ah cool, so you've had a listen, I think the first part of the album up to Halo is up there. Moth, and Atlas could have been on the Black Album and Justice respectively, and been semi classics. Spit Out The Bone is also up there with the likes of Disposable, Ride The Lightning, Justice etc.

The rest varies from good, or promising to filler, exactly as you describe, a bunch of riffs looking for a song which is a shame. Darn sight better than Death though which is a real tiring listen and obviously a load of riffs shoe horned together. Although I really love Unforgiven III and a few other tracks, the production is absolutely shite as well!!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2021
    I've said this before about some other artists' albums, but the whole thing is so long, and with so many similar-sounding tracks, that I just can't maintain my attention that long (I don't have ADHD or anything!).  So by the time I get to the last few tracks, I'm always in a different frame of mind than I was at the beginning and I never get to hear those tracks properly.

I've always been a "listen to the whole album" person and I still am, even with streaming.  But with some of these records I resort to playing the tracks in shuffled order just to give them a fair hearing.

The last Black Sabbath album, 13, was another example - I felt like I'd heard the first few tracks loads of times but I was always half asleep by "side two".  What's wrong with 40-minute albums?  40 minutes is just right.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah, they can get overlong and as a result you do get fed up. That's why I've gone back to vinyl, you can't just shove it on in the background as you've got to turn it over! 

I think albums like Somewhere In Time were about the right length for me, about 50 minutes or so. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Boromedic said:
    Yeah, they can get overlong and as a result you do get fed up. That's why I've gone back to vinyl, you can't just shove it on in the background as you've got to turn it over! 

I think albums like Somewhere In Time were about the right length for me, about 50 minutes or so. 
    Oh god, The Book of Souls - that's another one!   It does my head in.  And Senjutsu looks like it will be more of the same.
    Hahaha, yep the book of souls was poor, the new one is also filling me with dread. Although I don't mind the new single.

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    I remember the playback at Hammersmith odeon.

I also remember loads of us sat on the steps feeling gutted
    Some of this Black List stuff is great, really enjoyed this tonight:
    https://open.spotify.com/track/2diAXaP8GEWHa6ORPctFnh?si=ukghjaxFRB6Ix7GuOnZ_pg&utm_source=copy-link&dl_branch=1

The Phoebe Bridger version and Miley Cyrus one is also brilliant, along with Biffy's version of Holier. Shows how good the songs are on that album.

• Finally, it's here!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Nice one!

I’m gonna order the CDs I think. I’m confused though, this and the Blacklist set arrived on Apple Music today. But the blacklist is showing as out of stock on Amazon. When is it / was it meant to be released? Is the Blacklist limited numbers on CD?

Andy

edited September 2021
    I didn't think the Blacklist was limited tbh, but I didn't check that out much. It was also released today I thought.

This set sounds mint, the remaster on CD and Vinyl is done so well, it sounds crisper. The original already sounded class, but it's definitely enhanced. The Tushino gig is great on vinyl too. Lovin life today!

Edit: Amazon says temporarily out of stock for the Blacklist

edited September 2021
    I’m a tool. I just googled.

The blacklist is out on digital today. Physical on October 1st. I think Amazon have just sold their pre order copies that’s all. Typically “I’ll order that at some stage, I’m not in a rush” has turned into “I want that. Right now!”  :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2021
    Hahaha, bless you mate, I've enjoyed all the pre release songs from the Blacklist actually. Some good stuff.

This is mint though, I'm in teenage heaven today, the nostalgia is strong!!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    FOURTEEN CDs?! Christ! 

That looks incredible!

I know it’s been played to death and most fans have heard it a million times, but it really is a pivotal album from my youth.

• Same here, I love it me!

• I loved the black album for sad but true and through the never, which is ridiculously good fun to play!