Western Jam, Saturday 2nd October, 2021 -- Factory Studios, Bristol

What's Hot

Comments

• BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
    We still have far too many gaps - please everyone, we are in this together and owe it to each other to practice our respective "band" parts, which will be especially difficult for drummers and vocalists if we do not finalise the track list very soon. Just What I Needed almost has a full band, Hard To Handle, Keep Your Hands To Yourself and Rocks are also looking likely set list candidates, but have some "open" band roles. As some of us do not have access to the google sheet I will post another update here on Sunday, so we can decide which songs to drop completely and discuss potential replacements (if required).

BAND SONG KEY VOCALS DRUMS BASS  LEAD RHYTHM 1 RHYTHM 2
    Georgia Satellites Keep Your Hands To Yourself A bobblehat mart stratman3142
    Stevie Wonder I Wish D Funkfingers
    The Cars Just What I Needed E nicos236 Funkfingers spark240 Brocco
    Jet Cold Hard Bitch A Brocco
    Primal Scream Rocks A bobblehat mart bobblehat
    Black Crowes Hard To Handle B bobblehat bobblehat Brocco Jonathangus
    David Bowie China Girl C mart
    The Police  Every Little Thing D mart
    Kiss Detroit Rock City Vibetronic
    David Bowie Moonage Daydream
    Faster Pussycat Bathroom Wall Vibetronic
    Poison Talk Dirty To Me Jonathangus
    Supergrass Richard III Jonathangus roberty
    Def Leppard Rock of Ages Jonathangus
    Joe Jackson Is She Really Going Out With Him mart Vibetronic
    David Bowie Rebel Rebel mart
    The Clash London Calling mart
    The Jam  That's Entertainment Funkfingers
    Rainbow  Since You've Been Gone Vibetronic
    REM The One I Love
    Kinks/Van Halen You Really Got Me Vibetronic
    Chuck Berry Johnny B. Goode Vibetronic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    I can do lead in Jet and Poison - will prob be enough for me with the rest. Actually could do rhythm on Georgia Satellites too, nice and easy!
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2198
    edited August 2021
    @Brocco just some thoughts (feel free to ignore).

I wondered if it might be useful to take stock of of what singers we have and what songs they're happy to sing, plus in what key. Unfortunately I can't sing, so I'm no help in that role.

Going on from that I'd then be happy to take any missing role on lead guitar, rhythm - or even bass if you're really desperate. That's for up to about (say) 6 songs, provided it's nothing mega hard.

Can we have multiple slots filled on some songs? I expect we could have different lineups for the same song. For example, such songs as Hard To Handle.

It's not a competition.
    @Brocco just some thoughts (feel free to ignore).

I wondered if it might be useful to take stock of of what singers we have and what songs they're happy to sing, plus in what key. Unfortunately I can't sing, so I'm no help in that role.

Going on from that I'd then be happy to take any missing role on lead guitar, rhythm - or even bass if you're really desperate. That's for up to about (say) 6 songs, provided it's nothing mega hard.

Can we have multiple slots filled on some songs? I expect we could have different lineups for the same song. For example, such songs as Hard To Handle.

I could not agree more - it would be very helpful if those who can sing could share any concerns (the same goes for drummers).

Multiple slots for the most popular songs is usually a feature of the final tracklist for the live room.
  • nickp said:
    Now we have had confirmations maybe it' time to fill my paypal account back up, especially as I have accidentally bought a guitar........nick@paulleys.co.uk - it £15 each I think (it was £155) so we might have some left over for pop and candy if we are 
    lucky.

Money sent.

It's not a competition.
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    nickp said:
    Now we have had confirmations maybe it' time to fill my paypal account back up, especially as I have accidentally bought a guitar........nick@paulleys.co.uk - it £15 each I think (it was £155) so we might have some left over for pop and candy if we are 
    lucky.

Money sent.

Thanks very much !
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    Brocco said:

I could not agree more - it would be very helpful if those who can sing could share any concerns (the same goes for drummers).

For me ,the thing with singing is that if its a song you've never sung before or played with a band , its incredibly hard to know if you can actually sing it properly until you get in the room with the band. Yes I can learn the words and sing along in the car but its completely different to singing it live. I'm not a great singer by any means but I'll have a stab at most things. 
    However committing to singing unrehearsed songs with a bunch of strangers is a different thing altogether. =)

If we do get short on volunteer singers I'd be happy to submit a list of songs that I know and we can add them to the list. May be useful to have some more generic rock numbers in there which some will be happier to play on.
    In an effort to stimulate more responses, here are just a few of the "classic rock" type tracks we could consider as alternatives to those which so far have attracted little or no interest:

Supersonic
    Wishing Well
    Sunshine Of Your Love
    Lil' Devil
    Come Together

There are obviously many more in this mould, so if this whets your appetite, please get involved and express interest and/or suggest additional classic tracks.
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4558
    edited August 2021
    Just been having a quick WhatsApp with @onlyonebradders - as I think he's now the only drummist, I reckon simple, classic rock songs would go down well.

I'm pretty happy with rhythm parts on just about any AC/DC song.  And I'll also throw Under the Bridge into the pot, as I know he's played it before, and I'm happy to sing it.

Lil' Devil is a good shout.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2198
    edited August 2021
    Happy to play lead guitar, rhythm guitar or bass on anything, unless it's beyond my ability. I think the current list (dated 5 Aug) and the new suggestions by @Brocco are all OK for me. The only caveat is I'd prefer not to have to learn more than 6 unless they're pretty simple.

I wonder whether the way forward would be to ask the singers what they're happy singing. If we don't have a singer we don't have a song, unless it's an instrumental

It's not a competition.
  • onlyonebraddersonlyonebradders Frets: 19
    edited August 2021
    Hi all; I know i'm just the token drummer, but please can we try and tie down the list asap.  I managed to rip a load of youtube to mp3 the other week but if it sounds like it's just going to be me drumming, I don't want to waste time learning songs that are going to be canned.  There's a lot to learn here by end October and If i screw up halfway through the song then it aint gonna work.  This is my summary of the suggested songs and my assessment of happy or not to learn, but i'd probably prefer not to have to learn them all!

Oh, and is there a single source of truth of the list?  The google sheets, doesn't match the Aug 5th post.

Georgia SatellitesKeep Your Hands To YourselfYep
    Stevie WonderI WishYep-ish
    The CarsJust What I NeededYep, although there's a tricky couple of changes in the middle
    JetCold Hard BitchYep, but tricky
    Primal ScreamRocksYep
    Black CrowesHard To HandleYep
    David BowieChina GirlYep, but three Bowie songs on the list
    The PoliceEvery Little Thing She Does Is MagicStruggling with this; it's sodding Stuart Copeland!
    KissDetroit Rock CityStruggling a bit with this
    David BowieMoonage DaydreamMeh... but there's three Bowie songs on the list..
    Faster PussycatBathroom WallYep
    PoisonTalk Dirty to MeYep
    SupergrassRichard IIIYep
    Def LeppardRock of AgesYep but need to tie down the cowbell intro
    Joe JacksonIs She really going out with himYep
    David BowieRebel RebelYep, but three Bowie songs...
    The ClashLondon CallingYep
    The JamThat's EntertainmentKinda redundant in this
    ExtremeGet The Funk OutYep, but need to tie down the intro
    Van HalenHot For TeacherNo chance!
    RainbowSince You've Been GoneYep
    REMThe One I LoveYep
    Kinks/VHYou Really Got MeYep
    Chuck BerryJBGYep; have played before

Other songs I know pretty well are:
    RHCP Under the Bridge
    The Darkness I believe in a thing called love
    Bon Jovi Livin' on a prayer and You give love a bad name
    GnR Sweet Child of Mine
    Blondie Hanging on the Telephone
    The Ataris Boys of Summer (but it's been a while....)
    SOAD Aerials
    Metallica Enter Sandman

Also happy with Lil' Devil as suggested.

I'd welcome any thoughts?
    Andy

@onlyonebradders - incredibly helpful Andy, thank you.

I have updated the list to reflect the tracks already proposed that you are ok to play on, which means we now have a full band line-up for Keep Your Hands To Yourself and Just What I needed, with Hard To Handle and Cold Hard Bitch just needing a Bass player (assuming @nicos236 is ok for vox on the latter) and Rocks just needs a second guitar player (lead?). Talk Dirty To Me and Richard III both need vox and a bass player, and Is She Really Going Out With Him needs vox.

Based on responses so far it looks like China Girl, I Wish, Every Little Thing, Detroit Rock City and Moonage Daydream are likely to be dropped.

BAND SONG KEY VOCALS DRUMS BASS  LEAD RHYTHM 1 RHYTHM 2
    Georgia Satellites Keep Your Hands To Yourself A bobblehat onlyonebradders mart stratman3142 Vibetronic
    The Cars Just What I Needed E nicos236 onlyonebradders Funkfingers spark240 Brocco
    Black Crowes Hard To Handle B bobblehat onlyonebradders bobblehat Brocco Jonathangus
    Primal Scream Rocks A bobblehat onlyonebradders mart bobblehat
    Jet Cold Hard Bitch A nicos236? onlyonebradders Vibetronic Brocco
    Poison Talk Dirty To Me onlyonebradders Vibetronic Jonathangus
    Supergrass Richard III onlyonebradders Jonathangus roberty
    Joe Jackson Is She Really Going Out With Him onlyonebradders mart Vibetronic
    Faster Pussycat Bathroom Wall onlyonebradders Vibetronic
    Def Leppard Rock of Ages onlyonebradders Jonathangus
    David Bowie Rebel Rebel onlyonebradders mart
    The Clash London Calling onlyonebradders mart
    The Jam  That's Entertainment Funkfingers spark240?
    Rainbow  Since You've Been Gone onlyonebradders Vibetronic
    REM The One I Love onlyonebradders mart?
    RHCP Under The Bridge Jonathangus onlyonebradders
    The Cult Lil' Devil onlyonebradders Brocco
    Chuck Berry Johnny B. Goode onlyonebradders Vibetronic
    Kinks/Van Halen You Really Got Me onlyonebradders Vibetronic
    Stevie Wonder I Wish D Funkfingers
    David Bowie China Girl C mart
    The Police  Every Little Thing D mart
    Kiss Detroit Rock City Vibetronic
    David Bowie Moonage Daydream
    Just been having a quick WhatsApp with @onlyonebradders - as I think he's now the only drummist, I reckon simple, classic rock songs would go down well.

I'm pretty happy with rhythm parts on just about any AC/DC song.  And I'll also throw Under the Bridge into the pot, as I know he's played it before, and I'm happy to sing it.

Lil' Devil is a good shout.

If we have a willing vocalist for an AC/DC track (@roberty?) I could contribute rhythm on Highway To Hell
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14503
    Boys of Summer (but it's been a while....)
    Good suggestion. I am more familiar with the original Don Henley arrangement. The Larry Klein bass part is fretless. (More gear to carry.)

Right now, my car is in dock. My mind is not really on the Bristol event. Sorry.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    As flagged yesterday, to aid practice and performances on the day, the time has regrettably come to cut songs from the list which have failed to attract interest. As a result China Girl, I Wish, Every Little Thing, Detroit Rock City and Moonage Daydream will no longer feature in the list of songs under consideration. That leaves us with 19 songs, still probably too many, but as a final plea could everyone please confirm the specific tracks you would like to be in the house band for and the band role(s) you would like, remembering that we can (and will) perform the most popular songs multiple times to ensure that everyone who wants to play in the band for a given track gets to do so, so no excuses, get your names down!!   ;) 

BANDSONGKEYVOCALSDRUMSBASS LEADRHYTHM 1RHYTHM 2
    Georgia SatellitesKeep Your Hands To YourselfAbobblehatonlyonebraddersmartstratman3142Vibetronic
    The CarsJust What I NeededEnicos236onlyonebraddersFunkfingersspark240Brocco
    Black CrowesHard To HandleBbobblehatonlyonebraddersbobblehatBroccoJonathangus
    Primal ScreamRocksAbobblehatonlyonebraddersmartbobblehat
    JetCold Hard BitchAnicos236?onlyonebraddersVibetronicBrocco
    PoisonTalk Dirty To MeonlyonebraddersVibetronicJonathangus
    SupergrassRichard IIIonlyonebraddersJonathangusroberty
    Joe JacksonIs She Really Going Out With HimonlyonebraddersmartVibetronic
    Faster PussycatBathroom WallonlyonebraddersVibetronic
    Def LeppardRock of AgesonlyonebraddersJonathangus
    David BowieRebel Rebelonlyonebraddersmart
    The ClashLondon Callingonlyonebraddersmart
    The Jam That's EntertainmentFunkfingersspark240?
    Rainbow Since You've Been GoneonlyonebraddersVibetronic
    REMThe One I Loveonlyonebraddersmart?
    RHCPUnder The BridgeJonathangusonlyonebradders
    The CultLil' DevilonlyonebraddersBrocco
    Chuck BerryJohnny B. GoodeonlyonebraddersVibetronic
    Kinks/Van HalenYou Really Got MeonlyonebraddersVibetronic
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    Happy to sing Lil' Devil and possibly lead guitar. Songs in D but would prefer it down half a step C#  =)
    bobblehat said:
    Happy to sing Lil' Devil and possibly lead guitar. Songs in D but would prefer it down half a step C#  =)
    @bobblehat - thank you! 

I have replaced the song lists in the first post with an updated grid to show who is down for what so we can all keep track  :)  
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    nickp said:
    lucky.
    I've just paid up; thanks for covering this up front.
    nickp said:
    lucky.

I'm looking forward to this as i'm as rusty as feck (assuming you can get rusty fecks) and haven't played for months as personal circumstances have gone all a bit wobbly

@nickp - Hi Nick, have just paid. Many thanks for securing the venue for us, much appreciated.

This discussion has been closed.