Full English Breakfast

What's Hot

Comments

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    I really don't need the beans as part of an FEB.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited April 2021
    One of the finest breakfasts I have ever has was at the Tigerlily Hotel in Edinburgh, basically a full English served with haggis. It was very nice.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    Hattigol said:
    mbe said:
    Fishboy7 said:
    I've never understood the appeal english breakfast - even at midday with a hangover 
    You need to try the Full English at the Midland Hotel in Morecambe.

They lay out a bottle of Scotch next to the porridge for you to help yourself. Maybe that's really a Full Scottish Breakfast.
    A Scottish breakfast is just two paracetamol isn’t it?
    Deep-fried paracetamol, you mean...
    I was in the Stumble for a few years and the two founding members are Scottish. I quickly learned that a full Scottish breakfast was “four cans rapid”. They didn’t “do headaches”, just top up again from the night before.
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    mbe said:
    Fishboy7 said:
    I've never understood the appeal english breakfast - even at midday with a hangover 
    You need to try the Full English at the Midland Hotel in Morecambe.

They lay out a bottle of Scotch next to the porridge for you to help yourself. Maybe that's really a Full Scottish Breakfast.
    The porridge is completely unnecessary of course. Gentlemen take their breakfast whisky neat. 
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    A fry over here has potato bread and soda farls, or if you're lucky boxty instead of potato bread. Toast is usually unnecessary, black and white pudding obligatory.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    JerkMoans said:
    hywelg said:
    axisus said:
    When eating a FEB and your doing the every bit on your fork thing, does egg yolk count or does it actually have to be a piece of egg?
    I've never done that. Ever. 

Love a massive fry up brekkie though, could be my favourite food to be honest.
    Nor me. Egg gets paired with bacon, mushrooms with sausage and beans with fried bread/hash browns. 

While we're on the subject. Recommendations for black pudding. Tried just about every version even went to Bury market just to try what was available. Nothing comes close the the black pudding we used to get from E.Grimley, Butchers of Loughborough ,long since gone. 
    The Blood Pudding at St John of Smithfield is to die for. 

Not much use if you’re trying to do a home based lard-up, I concede.
    Ever tried the Spanish Black Pudding , Morcilla ?.........ggod Morcilla can be bought online ...it's equally traditional and extremely tasty.Really good ones are made from Acorn Fed Iberian Pate Negro Pigs;very rich .
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    hywelg said:

While we're on the subject. Recommendations for black pudding. Tried just about every version even went to Bury market just to try what was available. Nothing comes close the the black pudding we used to get from E.Grimley, Butchers of Loughborough ,long since gone. 
    Stornaway black pudding is way better than bury style. Its made with oatmeal and beef suet and has really delicious flavour that Mrs uses it for all sorts of recipes not just a good ol’ fry up
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    edited April 2021
    I no longer eat fryups but do have a soft spot for the East Midlands breakfast cob. Basically it's a full English (with optional chips) in an 8" cottage loaf. It's only really beaten for carb on carb action by the Wigan Slappy which I'm sure has been consumed at breakfast time. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    A really full English breakfast would include a half grapefruit followed by a Kipper before you even move on to the Fry Up
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    If the yolk counts then walk away..it's prob a GM egg.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    eggs benedict or poached eggs on toast has replaced a full english for me.  I have one very occasionally, sausage, bacon, egg, black pudding, hash brown and tinned tomatoes with toast for mopping and a glass of orange juice.

Mushrooms are not invited as they are a fungus and I don't eat fungus.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    Best fry up I ever had was in a Hartlepool cafe, just before a Brentford away game about twenty years ago.  
    There was so much food, it was served on two plates. 

In second place was the ‘truckers grill’ from the Wondercafe in Hillingdon. 

Third best is the ‘full monty’ from The Hursley Cafe in Chandlers Ford.... can’t wait until they can open again. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Has anyone else noticed the creeping demise of the fried slice? This diabolical process has been chipping away at the standard specification of the full English for years. A few outposts still remain around the country, but I fear it'll soon be consigned to that big recycling bin in the sky.

Also, what' with all this no-rind, thin-cut, "hand-smoked in a farm-girl's skiddies" bacon? Are they trying to infer they're being healthy, or something? Just stop it right now, and get a proper, rind-on, thick-cut middle cut back on the plate.

• SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1559
    Has anyone else noticed the creeping demise of the fried slice? This diabolical process has been chipping away at the standard specification of the full English for years. A few outposts still remain around the country, but I fear it'll soon be consigned to that big recycling bin in the sky.

Also, what' with all this no-rind, thin-cut, "hand-smoked in a farm-girl's skiddies" bacon? Are they trying to infer they're being healthy, or something? Just stop it right now, and get a proper, rind-on, thick-cut middle cut back on the plate.
    Yes, the fried slice - an endangered species for sure. As said, the decline has been a long slow process, but I honestly can’t remember the last time I saw it on the list.

Going to a B & B next month (whose breakfast is healthily lovely). I will ask for the ‘slice’ and watch as the owner’s face slips into disgust.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If the yolk counts then walk away..it's prob a GM egg.
    These yolks are Muscovy 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18746
    I'm still getting over hash browns appearing in a thread about 'Full English Breakfast'  :confused: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FledermausFledermaus Frets: 180

Yes, the fried slice - an endangered species for sure. As said, the decline has been a long slow process, but I honestly can’t remember the last time I saw it on the list.

Going to a B & B next month (whose breakfast is healthily lovely). I will ask for the ‘slice’ and watch as the owner’s face slips into disgust.
    At the risk of getting thrown off the forum....
    Years ago my grandmother had a guest house in Blackpool. It was back before fancy ovens and so, due to lack of “hob” space she did her “fried bread” under the eye level gas grill..... I know, I know!! Bear with me.... She would spread the bread with copious amounts of butter then grill it to death. Fabulous. Somehow it became far crispier than when done in a pan, yum yum.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1559

Years ago my grandmother had a guest house in Blackpool. It was back before fancy ovens and so, due to lack of “hob” space she did her “fried bread” under the eye level gas grill..... I know, I know!! Bear with me.... She would spread the bread with copious amounts of butter then grill it to death. Fabulous. Somehow it became far crispier than when done in a pan, yum yum.
    Oohh - that sounds great. I have a thing for burnt toast...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136

Oohh - that sounds great. I have a thing for burnt toast...
    Pervert.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I don't own a frying pan. Used to do a mean fry-up too when I lived with my girlfriend.