Well that was an experience ... (tradesmen/landscaper faffery)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• slackerslacker Frets: 2238
    We have been lucky at Slacker Towers. We had the bathroom done and we needed a rewire. We got the bathroom man to give us the number of the electrician.

Electrictrican arrives and moans about the state of the wiring in the bathroom. Mrs S says well you did it!

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7421
    Sambostar said:
    Told you man to feck them off.  Word of mouth is everything and is how I get ALL my work, no advertising, no CheckaFuntabolloc no nothing.  Give me your address, I will get up there, wrap them in gaffer tape and dispose of them to the wicker man, there is no need for this bollocks, decent tradesmen if anything are on the receiving end of shite for no reason.  Indian sandstone solid bedded on 40 to 50mm of mortar bedding on 100mm of type 1 and buttered up, depending on the slab and hand pointed as you go before the base has gone off or otherwise everyone uses water cured epoxy these days, but you still have to treat it like hand pointed mortar and work in in wet and rake it.  Fed up with idiots who think they can turn their hand to anything and are cocksure with it.  No problem with starting a company and knowing piss all, there is a place for everyone and they often will employ people who do, we all have different skillsets, but to be cocksure, not even give two shits and then take the piss.  Ginger Dagoman is gonna get them. My God, it sounds like Clockwork Orange by what you're making out?  Can't be that bad surely?  You need the metal mincer mentioned in the other post and pass then through it whilst you throw darts at their heads and drink wine, then fry up the dry offal for the dog.
    I lol'd - thanks I needed that :-) 

The slab laying itself is MOSTLY fine - for about 2/3 of.it they laid on top of what was there (part of the job was to raise it all by a few inches to make less of a step down out of the house anyway ) and it all seems flat and solid.

The grout or whatever you call.it is apparently a.resin based stuff but it's missing in little.chunks - we will need to get some and give that a go. And apparently we need to paint some sealant on so the dark slabs don't fade. 

The grass has taken well so far - happy enough with that. 

If I remember later I'll take a few pics of the niggley bits - it's far from a car wreck but not delighted and it was the aggro it took to get to even that point 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    BahHumbug said:
    @TimmyO, are you still somewhere in the vicinity of Swindon?  The name Lester rings a bell from some bad experiences that some of my friends have had.......
    Yep. 

I'll see if I can Google review them and maybe save someone else the pain 
    Red ones are better. 

TimmyO said:
    BahHumbug said:
    @TimmyO, are you still somewhere in the vicinity of Swindon?  The name Lester rings a bell from some bad experiences that some of my friends have had.......
    Yep. 

Don't think I can - they have a comprehensive website but zero social media accounts and no presence on Google business it looks 
    Red ones are better. 
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Was it Bodgit and Scarper? 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Gassage said:
    Years ago, a pal (Paul) of my other half was newly dating a landscape gardener, a feisty lady.

We really wanted the garden sorting and we asked her to quote.

I had just, 3 days earlier, fulfilled a life's dream and bought a 911, a 3.4 996 Carrera 4 that was 8 yrs old but I loved it. V62 AAN.

She pulled up, reversed at full tilt right into the front on my 911, with a tow bar etc, making a right mess- (needed new bonnet, bumper, valances, radiators brake rads etc.....)

She then strode into the house, 'Oh was that your car? Sorry- my insurance will pay, nothing to worry about...' 

To say I was absolutely incandescent with rage at the lack of contrition and blase-ness is an understatement- I'm like "NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT? You have just killed my pristine pride and joy...you KILLED my car'

A pretty frank exchange took place where I literally had to walk away...anyway, Paul and said lady left.....on the way home she slagged me off quite powerfully (I believe) whereupon Paul said "Look darling, I can kind of understand his anger- you just smashed the bloke's Porsche up and then weren't very apologetic...."

At that moment, she kicked Paul out of her van on the M40 somewhere between Uxbridge and Beaconsfield on the hard shoulder and they never dated again.......

Thank your lucky stars it wasn’t a Transit Tipper she was driving, your Porsche would have been a write-off.

• BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    TimmyO said:
    BahHumbug said:
    Yep. 

Probably the same guy then.

one friend asked him to quote for edging a lawn.  He turned up and immediately started making suggestions about all sorts of other wild and wacky bits of work that could be done to my friends garden.  Wouldn’t shut up.  My friend politely f*cked him off.

Other friend was persuaded to pay him an eye-watering amount of money to do some major landscaping.  He was un-reliable in terms of turning up, his work was shoddy.  When the work overran he just asked for even more money.   My mate ended up having to redo most of his building work because it was so bad.

A real cowboy.
    Youngest lad's rugby training has restarted so I can confirm that the aggregate used in the rugby club overflow parking is FAR more attractive and uniform than the roadside crud that was used - sorry for misleading :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I simply had to bump this thread and share this - this is the guy! (Local newspaper site from this week)

Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    jeez, sounds like he'd benefit no end from a really thorough shoeing! 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28224
    Or using as aggregate. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11704
    Gassage said:
    Years ago, a pal (Paul) of my other half was newly dating a landscape gardener, a feisty lady.

We really wanted the garden sorting and we asked her to quote.

I had just, 3 days earlier, fulfilled a life's dream and bought a 911, a 3.4 996 Carrera 4 that was 8 yrs old but I loved it. V62 AAN.

She pulled up, reversed at full tilt right into the front on my 911, with a tow bar etc, making a right mess- (needed new bonnet, bumper, valances, radiators brake rads etc.....)

She then strode into the house, 'Oh was that your car? Sorry- my insurance will pay, nothing to worry about...' 

To say I was absolutely incandescent with rage at the lack of contrition and blase-ness is an understatement- I'm like "NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT? You have just killed my pristine pride and joy...you KILLED my car'

A pretty frank exchange took place where I literally had to walk away...anyway, Paul and said lady left.....on the way home she slagged me off quite powerfully (I believe) whereupon Paul said "Look darling, I can kind of understand his anger- you just smashed the bloke's Porsche up and then weren't very apologetic...."

At that moment, she kicked Paul out of her van on the M40 somewhere between Uxbridge and Beaconsfield on the hard shoulder and they never dated again.......
    Jesus.  I'd have gone absolutely fucking MENTAL.  Your mate Paul had a narrow escape and has you to thank (at the expense of your Porker, sadly!)