Jason Isbell Signature Tele Anyone Seen One?

What's Hot

Comments

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3971
    It was built as a functional guitar, look at it aesthetically compared to the crafted guitars of the time, it wasn’t trying to be that at all. It was and is functional, screws or bolts and there’s 70 year old examples still held together with the same 4 screws that have always been in there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    JerkMoans said:
    £1200+ and they give you a gig bag to get it home? 
    I think a gig bag is fine for this. It’s not like it has an angled headstock or anything. I’m not sure why there is an expectation for a hard case with every guitar these days. I love the case with my Johnny Marr Jaguar but was actually considering getting a gig bag to take it to rehearsals.

How else would one be able to offer postage as an option when inevitably selling on at a colossal loss on here, three moths after purchase? :expressionless: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27094
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with a bolt on neck, especially since it’s designed so you can replace the neck if you want to. There’s 70 years of history behind that design and it still works. 

Substituting machine bolts adds no real advantage but adds cost and complexity
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3876
    edited May 2021
    Yes, telecaster are great (I'm most definitely a fan) but I can't shake the feeling that there's something a bit crap about an otherwise finely made instrument having two key components joined using 4 wood screws and another part made from a crude piece of bent metal.
    Better to just stick the neck on with a bit of glue?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lewy said:
    Sassafras said:
    I don't get why Mex-made guitars are seen as inferior to the US made ones.
    The only difference is increased US labour costs.
    As is often said, it's just the difference between what country the Mexicans who are making the guitar are located in!

Also, the £1200 price point....I wonder if people haven't updated their thinking for general price increases. That's more of a mid rather than a high end price point these days. Depending on spec, you'll pay that for guitars made in China and Korea these days. Getting non-generic pickups and hardware and a nitro finish (whether you like roadworn or not) for £1200 is comparatively good going.
    Agreed! You pays your money and you take your choice. Guitar buying is an irrational mix of the heart, the head and the wallet. Personally, I was happy to stump up the 1200 quid for the Isbell Telecaster and will be a happy boy when my delivery arrives from Guitar Guitar tomorrow. 

If I end up selling it for a loss in 3 months time then I will have learned my lesson not to buy a guitar without playing it first :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4226
    Lewy said:
    Sassafras said:
    I don't get why Mex-made guitars are seen as inferior to the US made ones.
    The only difference is increased US labour costs.
    As is often said, it's just the difference between what country the Mexicans who are making the guitar are located in!

Also, the £1200 price point....I wonder if people haven't updated their thinking for general price increases. That's more of a mid rather than a high end price point these days. Depending on spec, you'll pay that for guitars made in China and Korea these days. Getting non-generic pickups and hardware and a nitro finish (whether you like roadworn or not) for £1200 is comparatively good going.
    Agreed! You pays your money and you take your choice. Guitar buying is an irrational mix of the heart, the head and the wallet. Personally, I was happy to stump up the 1200 quid for the Isbell Telecaster and will be a happy boy when my delivery arrives from Guitar Guitar tomorrow. 

If I end up selling it for a loss in 3 months time then I will have learned my lesson not to buy a guitar without playing it first :)
    Look forward to the first report! I expect it will be great. 
  • New Guitar Day - here is a short 'first impressions' video of the Jason Isbell Telecaster. Cheers! 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Quote from Chris Buck on his Instagram page:

“A little head-over-heels in love with the new Fender Jason Isbell Signature Telecaster. Quite possibly the best Tele I’ve ever played”
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    New Guitar Day - here is a short 'first impressions' video of the Jason Isbell Telecaster. Cheers! 

Cool guitar and nice wee video rundown, congrats.

I’m less concerned about neck profiles as time goes on, as you say it’s more about what your used to and have adapted to. With time, most profiles become comfortable, provided the nut width isn’t ridiculously narrow or wide. I like some variety in the collection too, kind of forces slightly different playing approaches.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 884
    edited May 2021
    All I can say on this thread is it's Good to hear Jason and Tweedy mentioned. I am more of a Wilco/Tweedy fan myself but both good musicians.

I used to own the Tweedy SG it was pretty good as it goes, but had eventually sold it on.

Jason also made some funny jokes/stories about RA recently

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• markjmarkj Frets: 914
    New Guitar Day - here is a short 'first impressions' video of the Jason Isbell Telecaster. Cheers! 

Are you still enjoying the guitar?
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3576
    edited June 2021
    Now £1339....ouch.

'sumptuously smooth'. This isn't just a guitar... it's an M&S guitar..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Greatape said:
    Now £1339....ouch.

Spec wise it's not far off AO territory which people have been happy with at a higher price (or their precursor run of AV/AVRI at a shade more than this). The marmite nature of the relicing aside the only other difference I can spot really is whether it's mexicans building one side of the border or t'other
  • markj said:

Hi Mark, thanks for asking! Yes, I am still enjoying it. I like a lot of jangly indie guitar (big Smiths fan) so it handles that really well. I have another USA Tele 1993 where the Neck pickup is fairly dead, whereas the Isbell Tele has a range of tones that you can get with each pickup which I like. First time in my life I have purchased a new guitar out of the box so have tweaked the action and intonation plus some lemon oil on the neck. Each to their own but I think this Tele looks really cool as well which is an important thing for me ! 
    markj said:

Hi Mark, thanks for asking! Yes, I am still enjoying it. I like a lot of jangly indie guitar (big Smiths fan) so it handles that really well. I have another USA Tele 1993 where the Neck pickup is fairly dead, whereas the Isbell Tele has a range of tones that you can get with each pickup which I like. First time in my life I have purchased a new guitar out of the box so have tweaked the action and intonation plus some lemon oil on the neck. Each to their own but I think this Tele looks really cool as well which is an important thing for me ! 
    What’s the neck like, I know it’s difficult to give a perfect description. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11802
    Greatape said:
    Now £1339....ouch.

That's a loony price, sorry.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Today's TPS with Mick and he's got one

• Kebabkid said:
    Today's TPS with Mick and he's got one

58 minutes runtime?

Bloody hell, if I indulged myself for half that time I'd be red raw.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • To quote Mick at 01:15 "Let's say it upfront. I love this guitar". I know @markj and myself are pretty pleased that we purchased one too.