Friday Night viewing

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22901
    A senior member of the royal family has died, for only the third time in any of our lifetimes, and people are outraged that the BBC have devoted half a day's coverage to it.

That's a major news event by any standards, whatever your personal feelings about it, but it's a great opportunity for all the anti-royalists and BBC haters to trot out all their usual gripes.

I'm sure you'll get over it in a day or two.  Maybe they'll have a double episode of Flog It or The Repair Shop to help you recover.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24327
    Unimportant overprivileged racist old man dies.  Not what I would call a 'major news story'.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    When you're head of BBC News you'll get to pick the big stories yourself, Emp.  I look forward to watching whatever's on the other channels.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11451
    Philly_Q said:
    A senior member of the royal family has died, for only the third time in any of our lifetimes, and people are outraged that the BBC have devoted half a day's coverage to it.

That's a major news event by any standards, whatever your personal feelings about it, but it's a great opportunity for all the anti-royalists and BBC haters to trot out all their usual gripes.

I'm sure you'll get over it in a day or two.  Maybe they'll have a double episode of Flog It or The Repair Shop to help you recover.

Show it wall to wall on BBC 1 and the news channel by all means, but they end up repeating themselves after half an hour, and I'd spent half an hour or so reading news articles and obituaries on him earlier in the day.  Just give me the option to watch something else. 

I have no problem with them showing it all night on BBC1.  There is no point in duplicating it on BBC2 though.  Those who want to watch it can watch it on BBC1.  Let me watch Richard Osman on 2 while I'm having my evening meal.  It doesn't matter what channel you put Phillip on, I'm not watching.  It just gets repetitive.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    There’s a balance to be had and I think the BBC were a bit over defensive. Blanking BBC4 and having the same coverage on 1 and 2 seemed unnecessary. But small potatoes in the scheme of things. 
    When I turned on TV this morning there were still reporters standing outside castles trying to think of something to say.

https://youtu.be/J-xjPKnH9rc
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    As a republican, I feel marginalised.
    Emp_Fab said:
    Sassafras said:
    Maybe it's time to read a book.
    Or something equally radical.
    It's not about me.  I haven't watched a single moment of any of it.  I'm easily able to entertain myself.  This is about the reaction of the BBC.
    Never said it was about you.
    I was thinking more of myself.
    I don't have telly. I listen to radio and so far it's been nothing but Prince Phillip on a loop.
    edited April 2021
    Sassafras said:
    I don't have telly. I listen to radio and so far it's been nothing but Prince Phillip on a loop.
    I listen to 5 Live.  Yesterday they had the same coverage as all the rest of BBC Radio, up to 5pm.  Then they went to normal programming, although still focusing on Prince Philip.

Today - apart from the news bulletins of course, which haven't been any longer than usual - it's been Fighting Talk, football and the Grand National.  Chris Sutton and Robbie Savage are coming up in a minute.

Normality has been resumed.  We've survived.  Phew.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Why do people feel the need to tell everyone at every opportunity that they don't watch much TV?

Of course you don't, you're on here 24/7  ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Why do people feel the need to tell everyone at every opportunity that they don't watch much TV?

Of course you don't, you're on here 24/7  ;)
    If I had a telly I'd probably watch it all day long.
    Philly_Q said:
    Sassafras said:
    I listen to 5 Live.  Yesterday they had the same coverage as all the rest of BBC Radio, up to 5pm.  Then they went to normal programming, although still focusing on Prince Philip.

Today - apart from the news bulletins of course, which haven't been any longer than usual - .it's been Fighting Talk, football and the Grand National.  Chris Sutton and Robbie Savage are coming up in a minute

Normality has been resumed.  We've survived.  Phew.

That reminds me to never listen to 5 Live.
    Thanks Philly!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 943
    Help is at hand guys - the apoplectic commentators on the Grand National confidently predict Rachael Blackmore will be on the front page of every newspaper tomorrow.  If she was British she might even knock HRH off the TV news top spot as well. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7011
    edited April 2021
    It’s newsworthy, get over it.  Switch the telly off and go and play some guitar for a bit if it bothers you.
  • Cols said:
    go and play some guitar
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!

Bye!

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Emp_Fab said:
    As has sanity.
    As my old home economics teacher used to say, you are the product of what you consume  :)
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I play some guitar most weeks.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited April 2021

Of course you don't, you're on here 24/7 
    I used Mosaic 1.0, Mirc 1.0, visited Bianca Smut Chat, and was among the first group to connect relational databases to static web pages. I am a child of the World Wide Web, but it's next on the list of things to get knocked on the head!
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4170
    Philly_Q said:

I used to like floggit when I watched the tele 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4170
    edited April 2021

Cols said:
    It’s newsworthy, get over it.  Switch the telly off and go and play some guitar for a bit if it bothers you.
    I only watch two sitcoms before bed , 2 episodes of king of queens with Kevin James and Jerry stiller on my iPad streamed from hard disk ,  so I don’t have to rely on tele but others do.  I do have LBC radio on in bed to help me sleep but it’s unlistenable at the moment with sycophantic outpourings from old ladies going on about HRH