What was your first 'can't wait to be released' album?

What's Hot
breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272

Sat watching Classic Albums - The Joshua Tree on Sky Arts, and if dawned on me that this was the first album, as a sixteen year old that I waited for in anticipation to be released. I remember getting on my bike and cycling five miles into town to buy it and subsequently playing it to death. Still one of my top ten albums ever.

So, what was your first 'can't wait to be released' album?

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    Bat out of Hell 2

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MrTeeMrTee Frets: 509
    I remember an element of national hype about oasis releasing 'be here now'. I was of the age where I got caught up in it. Only album I ever queued outside a store to buy. Can't say it's stood the test of time though. 
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    I took the day off work to buy U2 Achtung Baby and played it for hours on end. I thought it was an absolute masterpiece of a record and still do to this day - though i will confess to being a I2 nut
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    I think probably Holy Bible by the Manic Street Preachers. 

Great album. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    OK Computer. Made all the sweeter by the fact it was ace, and me and some mates went to see them in Dundee’s Caird Hall on the tour. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3072
    For me in all honesty it would have to be Level 42's Staring at the Sun. I've also got to admit I was disappointed at the time after all the anticipation. I love it now though. 

The only time I waited outside for the shop to open was for Joe Satriani's The Extremist. We watched the guy open the boxes of all the new releases until he he got to it. I really loved it and still do. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Tears For Fears - Songs From The Big Chair

Great album... although I still actually prefer The Hurting.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NeillNeill Frets: 941
    "Stupidity" by Dr Feelgood.

I was there at Sheffield City Hall, on my birthday, when Lee Brilleaux announced that the band were making a live recording for an album to be released later in the year.  Couldn't wait, and I can't play that vinyl record today as it's pretty much worn out.
  • Dio - Last In Line back in 1984.

I remember heading over to Kingston to get this from a great little Record Store on Fife Road that I can’t remember the name of now.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I'm going to mention three:

I caught Marillion at the local Student union bar before they became famous and became a big fan. The 'Fish' era of the band was the biggest musical love affair of my life, and it was the most wonderful ride with them from literally nowhere to the amazing success the band had. I couldn't wait for the album release (Script for a jester's tear), and when it came out I queued up to buy a vinyl copy at Andy's records in Norwich, the queue was because the band were there signing albums and also playing live at the University of East Anglia that night. To top it all my best mate knew Fish personally so we chatted to him. Wonderful day!

Also ....

I was at Norwich school of art at the time but I spent a year and a term living at the City college halls of residence. Most people hated it, but I loved it. We had just one room on a corridor and a shared kitchen at the end. I became great pals with a bunch of like minded lunatics from the city college and we managed to wangle it so that we all had rooms on the same corridor. It was brilliant, just an ‘open house’ scenario where we were in and out of all the rooms chatting, drinking, playing guitars, listening to albums. They actually decided that they would never do that again as we were too much aggro – complaints above and below about partying, loud music, playing murderball in the corridor at 2.00am etc. My pal Graham liked loud music, we were on the third floor and famously someone once complained that they could hear his music through the ceiling of their first floor room!

Anyway, back on topic - there were two great albums that we ALL bought, there was an amazing sense of anticipation, and we literally all went out and bought them the same day (seven of us) – Marillion’s Fugazi and Rush Grace under pressure. Those two albums immediately transport me back to a brilliant time of life.

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9533
    edited April 2021
    The Jam - Sound Affects

I remember the awe with which I slid the vinyl out of the sleeve. And studied those awesome lyrics...
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    Queen - The Works

very disappointing 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    In the Court of the Crimson King. We commandeered the music room, and stayed after school to listen to the album.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7002
    Walking Into Clarksdale by Page and Plant.  Bit of a disappointment unfortunately.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    Dio - Last In Line back in 1984.

I remember heading over to Kingston to get this from a great little Record Store on Fife Road that I can’t remember the name of now.
    Shop, not store
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    Dragnet by the Fall. The idea of a 100% increase in the number of Fall albums was tantalising.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    sev112 said:
    Queen - The Works

very disappointing 
    So much better that Hot Space. Boy was that a bad album!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22823
    edited April 2021

Sat watching Classic Albums - The Joshua Tree on Sky Arts, and if dawned on me that this was the first album, as a sixteen year old that I waited for in anticipation to be released. I remember getting on my bike and cycling five miles into town to buy it and subsequently playing it to death. Still one of my top ten albums ever.

That brought back memories.  When I was fifteen - 1979 - I used to get £2 pocket money and new-release albums were generally £3.99, so I used to save for two weeks then walk the five miles along the seafront into Swansea city centre to go to HMV or Virgin (or Boots or John Menzies, come to think of it).

I bought quite a lot of albums on the day of release around then - Rainbow, Rush, Led Zeppelin, Judas Priest, Whitesnake - but they were all the first albums I'd bought by those bands so I don't know if there was really a big sense of anticipation.  It was more about the excitement of the first listen.

So, the answer might be Pink Floyd - The Wall.  It was their first album for nearly three years (which seems like a blink of an eye by today's standards).  Tommy Vance played the whole thing on the Friday Rock Show and I went out and bought it the next morning.  The cover picture was those plain white bricks but there was a re-usable plastic sticker with the album title which I stuck on my window.... my parents must have chucked the sticker out and that still pisses me off 42 years later.
  • In Utero. I'd been a huge Nirvana fan for two years and the anticipation for the new album was huge. I was 17 when it came out, I remember rushing to Woolworths after school on a Monday to buy in on tape. I was not disappointed