What was your first 'can't wait to be released' album?

What's Hot

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    axisus said:
    sev112 said:
    Queen - The Works

very disappointing 
    So much better that Hot Space. Boy was that a bad album!
    I got into Queen in about 82 (?) and Hot Space was already out. I had bought the Greatest Hits album and hence started listening to the albums starting from the beginning, so I didn’t get to Hot Space until right at the end.  
    I think when The Works was coming, everyone had been prepared that it was back to real Queen, after the Hot Space sojourn.   But then it had IWant to Break Free on it, and it sort of stained the whol album for me, when in fact in hindsight there are some good songs, and also looking back Queen always had some kind of tack rubbish song or two on all the albums 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LogieLogie Frets: 443
    Lodger by David Bowie. I’ve been a huge fan since I was about 15 and picked the albums up over time till I’d got them all but it was a long wait from Heroes.
     It’s still my favourite album of his.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Also on a Bowie theme - I discovered him 'properly' when I was about 13. Got his entire back catalogue. Thought he was one of the most innovative and entertaining musicians I'd ever heard - and I still do. So, my head full of Lodger, Heroes, Aladdin Sane, Station To Station, et al I rushed out to by Tonight the day it came out. I was 14 (I think.) Rushed home. Played it on my parents Lynn Sondek with huge Mission speakers and...
    sat with my head in my hands staring at the wall in absolute horror. What a dog of a record. (Not a Diamond Dog, sadly.)
    Three years later he released Never Let Me Down and i nearly jumped off a cliff.
    I was probably one of the few people on the planet that actually welcomed the arrival of Tin Machine.
  • LogieLogie Frets: 443
    @AlexC ;

That’s exactly how I reacted to Tonight when I first heard it :)
    I have to say though that I’ve revisited it over the years and I’m quite fond of it now. 
    The one album pre Tonight I’ve never liked other than the title track is Young Americans. I played it to death trying to make myself like it but I can safely say it’s the one album of his that I’m happy to consign to the charity shop.

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited April 2021
    Can't say I've ever got that excited about anything (records, tech whatever) coming out, have never preordered anything and certainly never waited outside a shop or anything like that. 
    Maybe use your allusions but I could wait a few weeks till I was going in to town anyway.

Just me?
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9715
    Mine was Get Behind Me Satan by the White Stripes. Was definitely worth it for me!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • gusman2x said:
    OK Computer. Made all the sweeter by the fact it was ace, and me and some mates went to see them in Dundee’s Caird Hall on the tour. 
    Same choice for me. I was 15 at the time and had become obsessed with The Bends album. OK Computer certainly didn't disappoint, brilliant album.

I'd put Bends and OK Computer on a par with each other, and I've never really liked any of there following albums half as much as those two.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Having discovered REM when Out of Time was out and then working backwards through their back catalog, it would be Automatic for the People, still one of my fav albums 
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    Probably Sonic Youth - Dirty.
    Terrible record.
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    Passion and Warfare - Steve Vai

I remember waiting for what seemed like years for that one.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2593
    I can think of a few but I think the first might have been The Royal Scam.  One of those golden memories -  summer holiday job, money in my pocket, gloriously sunny Saturday morning, up and out to the record shop, round to my girlfriend's with the swag.  The track that made the immediate impact was Sign in Stranger - that piano intro, have you heard about the boom on Mizar 5, Pepe has a grin from ear to ear.

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive but to be young was very heaven.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Dave8Dave8 Frets: 244
    St Anger. 

Couldn’t have been more disappointed 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Probably New Jersey for me
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3007
    Zenyatta Mondatta - The Police.  Had played the first two albums to death and was so excited to get this one, with picture sleeve and everything! It didn't live up to my self-hype.

7 - Madness - much the same as above!

The Gift - The Jam - much the same as above!!

I was a kid back then, so this was about saving up over a period of time. That seemed to make it more special somehow and buying vinyl from a record shop made it even more magical.

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    This subject is dependant on age and musical taste as a teenager.

Mine might have been Ocean Rain by Echo & the Bunnymen
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6682
    "Cut" by The Slits. Probably just for the cover. I was 16. Also "Never Mind the Bollocks" was eagerly anticipated. I never saw the Pistols but I did see The Slits, so I had good reason.

"White Music" was eagerly anticipated as were the next three albums by XTC. 
  • This is the modern world.....The Jam. I loved the attitude and angst from their first album (In the city). But TITMW just sounded weak and hollow. Maybe cos it was released six months or so from ITC and not enough material available to record. Loved ITC cos of the (mainly) high energy songs that were 2 to 3 minutes in length. Liked that Paul Weller and Bruce Foxton had matching guitars. Although I think PW played a Rick and BF played a Rick looking Ibanez. Could be wrong there though.
  • St Anger...
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 283
    Grand Hotel by Procol Harum
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 850
    The ones that jump to mind are
    Bon Jovi - New Jersey
    Iron Maiden - Powerslave 
    GnR - Appetite for Destruction 

The anticipation for the Bon Jovi release was heightened by listening to Tommy Vance play Bad Medicine, 99 in the shade and Lay Your Hands on me on his Friday rock show.

Maiden was just because it was a new Maiden album, which for a while was always a good thing.

GnR was from seeing Welcome to the jungle on a late night tv show, back when tv used to shut down most evenings and go to colfax.
    I remember thinking 'now that looks a bit cool and edgy, I'll have some of that.'  When I got that album my mum asked me to do her a copy as she liked Sweet Child. I kept forgetting.