Star Wars etc quandaries ?

What's Hot

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    The AT-AT is a clear demonstration that the Empire has a procurement department.

13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The AT-AT is a clear demonstration that the Empire has a procurement department.
    Please double post this so that I can Wis it too.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3547
    The AT-AT is a clear demonstration that the Empire has a procurement department.
    ...who normally work on civil service IT procurement...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7002
    Whitecat said:
    Kalimna said:
    Even more important than blasters, why doed every planet have the same gravity?
    and most are single-ecosystem... 
    The ice planet Hoth, twinned with the desert planet Coldh…
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Greatape said:
    ...who normally work on civil service IT procurement...

In my long and painful experience, the industry is immaterial.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Presumably the company making the AT ATs was owned by Matt Hancock's sister.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just finished reading the DotF script, that would've made a brilliant finale to the saga. How the hell did we end up with RoS instead? :frown: 
    Just finished reading the DotF script, that would've made a brilliant finale to the saga. How the hell did we end up with RoS instead? :frown: 
    Because Rian Johnson made such a hash of The Last Jedi, Lucasfilm decided it would be a terrible idea to continue in that direction - however good the script might look.

What we ended up with was an uncomfortable tug of war where:

JJ Abrams  made an enjoyable first episode which was… err… heavily influenced by A New Hope.  Unoriginal but fun.

Rian Johnson made a dark and daring second chapter with our starry-eyed hero Luke Skywalker reduced to an embittered hermit, and killed off the main villain without giving him any backstory.  More original, but a bit shit to be frank.

JJ Abrams returned for the last of the trilogy, spent a lot of time unpicking what Johnson had been trying to do, and delivered a safe, unsatisfying finale.

• danodano Frets: 1593
    edited May 2021
    Light speed skipping in the Falcon at the start of RoS. They jump through several solid objects more than once.

Yet an episode earlier the Resistance lady with the purple hair does a U turn in her space ship and flies it light speed into the big First Order ship and destroys it.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    Anyone watch the Simpsons “Force Awakens from its nap”  ?
    very good I thought

but the haters gonna hate I spose ;)

To mark the day, one of my sons has asked to watch a Star Wars film.

He’s chosen Revenge Of The Sith.

God, it’s a pile of shit.  It’s almost as if George Lucas said “You know where I went wrong in the last two?  Not enough CGI.  It’s my film, and I’ll have CGI bloody everywhere in this one.  Keep the humans and physical set to a minimum”.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3864
    Cols said:
    To mark the day, one of my sons has asked to watch a Star Wars film.

He’s chosen Revenge Of The Sith.

God, it’s a pile of shit.  It’s almost as if George Lucas said “You know where I went wrong in the last two?  Not enough CGI.  It’s my film, and I’ll have CGI bloody everywhere in this one.  Keep the humans and physical set to a minimum”.
    Yeh, some of those ones were shite. I think the charm of the originals was that there was no CGI.
  • The only Star Wars quandry that matters is the one that goes, "Why the fuck am I watching this shit???!!!"

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited May 2021
    The only Star Wars quandry that matters is the one that goes, "Why the fuck am I watching this shit???!!!"
    Sunk cost fallacy?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2238
    Imho there are two General problems with Star Wars if viewed with anything other than suspension of belief. 1 George Lucas didn't actually know what he was doing and 2 its not sci-fi, it's a mashup of fantasy and space opera.

1 George Lucas has a treatment of a story and kept changing things. In a new hope episode 4 because everyone starts a story one third through, Ben I mean Obi Wan Kenobi because originally that was his title called Vader, Darth as if it was his name and that kiss wasn't incestuous coz they weren't siblings and Vader wasn't Dad. Oh and in the prequels they hid Luke on his father's home planet. Genius.

2 fantasy usually has swords, bows, magic wands/staffs and monsters usually dragons. Everyone knows how these things work, so most of the story centres on coming of age, revenge, love and a quest or two. To take a pop at Star Wars section 1, Tolkein created a world with races, geography and history and wrote stories in that world.

Ok so science fiction usually has science in it. In sci fi people terraform hostile world's. In star wars they live on world's entirely made of sand or ice or swamp. 

In science fiction people mine asteroids for water or fuel or metal. In stars wars an x wing which is basically a jet fighter can travel around the entire galaxy without fuel, air or a toilet. 

And finally the evil plan. Let's build a death star! And nobody says we tried that 30 years ago and it failed.   Twice.  Ok ok let's build one. Chief engineer don't forget to leave a flaw in the designs and give the plans to someone who looks shifty.

It's not sci-fi its not anywhere near believable and the 15 year old boy version of me in 1977 loved it and my children loved the phantom menace.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    Is there a better scifi movie than either Empire strikes back or rogue one? New hope isn’t far behind either
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    KDS said:
    Is there a better scifi movie than either Empire strikes back or rogue one?
    Definitely not, other than:
    Alien
    Aliens
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    Blade Runner
    Moon
    Silent Running
    Rollerball
    Predator
    Dark Star
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5421
    KDS said:
    Alien
    Aliens
    Blade Runner
    Moon
    Silent Running
    Rollerball
    Predator
    Dark Star
    … and Spaceballs. 
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5144
    KDS said:
    Alien
    Aliens
    Blade Runner
    Moon
    Silent Running
    Rollerball
    Predator
    Dark Star
    Sure, but take a ten year old to see any of those and they'll be confused, terrified or bored shitless. Possibly all three at once.

Star Wars has its problems (and it isn't really science fiction in any meaningful sense), but it's bloody good fun, which is not something you can say about most of the films on your list. I'll bet it acted as the "gateway drug" for probably 80% of fans of sci-fi, fantasy and other forms of "nerd culture" too.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    KDS said:
    Alien
    Aliens
    Blade Runner
    Moon
    Silent Running
    Rollerball
    Predator
    Dark Star
    Sure, but take a ten year old to see any of those and they'll be confused, terrified or bored shitless. Possibly all three at once.

Star Wars has its problems (and it isn't really science fiction in any meaningful sense), but it's bloody good fun, which is not something you can say about most of the films on your list. I'll bet it acted as the "gateway drug" for probably 80% of fans of sci-fi, fantasy and other forms of "nerd culture" too.

True

I watched the original Star Wars with my 9 year old daughter a couple of months back, and she loved it.  I can't imagine her liking any of those other films.  I haven't seen all of them, but of the ones I have seen I definitely wouldn't let her watch Alien or Predator.