New kitchen - where'd you get yours from

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906

This will be a whole room rip out, floor, units, wiring and rebuild.  Tempted to knock through into the lounge as well.

If you're doing a new floor and plan to have a washing machine in the kitchen, it's well worth putting extra reinforcement (or even concrete) in that area. Our washing machine stays put and it's fine, but it sounds like a tractor going up a hill during part of its cycle. We even had Miele out to look at it and were told that's what to expect unless it's on a completely solid floor.

That’s a good point. If you can creat a little utility room and get the washing machine out the way it’ll be a welcome improvement. Especially if you have a kitchen/diner as it’s not very relaxing when you’ve got the noise of a washing machine in the background. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7343
    edited May 2021
    Why don't others like their Wren kitchens? Mine just has pieces dropping off it, and one of the drawer fronts isn't even the same texture as the others. We thought that it had a protective peel over it, but if that's what it is it absolutely will not come off.
    Turned up and one of the tops was all scratched and had stains on it once installed. They tried to say they could only give us cost price as a goodwill gesture which was about £100. Disgusting company.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    viz said:
    We went for B and Q, it’s solid oak and cost 1700; the carcasses on the right were pre-existing (just got new doors), so probably 2k for the whole thing. (Not including the oven and electrical things). 

Oi,  get out of my kitchen ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4106

This will be a whole room rip out, floor, units, wiring and rebuild.  Tempted to knock through into the lounge as well.

If you're doing a new floor and plan to have a washing machine in the kitchen, it's well worth putting extra reinforcement (or even concrete) in that area. Our washing machine stays put and it's fine, but it sounds like a tractor going up a hill during part of its cycle. We even had Miele out to look at it and were told that's what to expect unless it's on a completely solid floor.

Ooh that is great advice thanks. Yes ours rattles the house on full spin.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    edited May 2021
    boogieman said:
    ronnyb said:
    Rowby1 said:
    I do it for a living.

Don’t touch Wren.

Howdens are good. I have an account and have fitted a lot of their stuff.

If you can get a recommendation from someone you know locally that’s a good move.

Don’t trust trusted traders. 
    +1 to avoid trusted traders. My local free sheet had an ad for one who has done lengthy prison sentences for roofing deceptions on elderly people amounting to thousands of pounds.
    You never quite know what you’re getting with tradesmen. We used a local builder to do a kitchen extension. Had loads of local recommendations, his dad had owned the company for decades before, was ex-army and seemed a stand up guy. He did a good job but we obviously knew nothing about him personally. Google Nick Wood/Bridgewood Builders if you really want to see what utter cunts you risk letting into your house. It doesn’t make nice reading, be warned. 
    Blimey. I grew up in Stoneleigh and my Mum still lives there. You just never know :-(
    Small world @hubobulous ;. We lived in Glenwood Rd, still got several friends living in the area. 

The builder was a complete shock. I was going to get him back to do another small job and went round to his flat (he lived above a shop on Stoneleigh Broadway). No sign of him. Then months later we saw the news... made my wife feel sick to think we’d had him in the house.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    Mrs sev112 says thanks to @viz and @ThorpyFX for posting pictures, and could she encourage a few more of you to also do so so that she can get some ideas please 
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4106
    +1 to that. 
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 877
    I’m 3/4 of the way through my kitchen. I’ve moved the washing machine to an area with solid concrete floor and it’s much more stable and quiet.

I got my worktops from Worktop Express. They are only laminate but they are better than the likes of Wicks and B&Q. I’m doing things on the cheap as I want to move soon and the old kitchen was just awful and going to hinder any sale.

Customer service and delivery speed of worktop express was exceptional. The delivery driver was a top guy and was also a guitarist so we ended up talking guitars.

IKEA is surprisingly decent based on my mate’s kitchen which is now 4 years old and was very cheap.

• martmart Frets: 5205
    CHRISB50 said:
    We have Sigma 3 kitchen units that seem pretty good. Can’t comment on install etc. as it was fitted when we moved in. All seems pretty solid. 
    We got Sigma 3 to design and supply our kitchen when we did an extension a few years back. The units are good, their designer was really helpful, and the process was very painless.

I was hoping we could continue the theme and get Sigma 6 to do the architect work for the extension but apparently they were busy/too expensive/squabbling.