This is somebody´s grandma now!

What's Hot

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14459
    Iamnobody said:
    Thanks - my shit joke just got even shitter!  =)
    No charge.

Things could get worse. Somebody could mention Wayne Rooney. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4106
     grandma? 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2277
    Stalker?
    Did she add an "E" to her surname and become a comedienne?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    Kilgore said:
    Easy to forget now but other colours hadn't been invented in 1972. Orange first started to appear in 1974,  
    In some respects (linguistically) not that far from the truth.

The earliest use of the word 'orange' in English dates from the early 16th C. Before that they used terms that meant either redish-yellow or yellowy-red.

That's why we have Red Deer, Robin Red Breast, Red Squirrel, red hair (all of which have a definite 'orangey' colour rather than red) 

Of course orange eventually became the new black but that was much later. 

It used to be “a norange” too, it got adapted to an orange later. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1943
    rogd said:
    Wondered who that geezer in the background was.
    That's already been answered. It's Mr Rumbold from Grace Bros bro. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    VimFuego said:
    Sassafras said:
    Our eyes have only recently evolved to see more than the primary colours.
    It wasn't until the 1930s we could see any colours at all.
    Everything was B&W.
    One thing I've never understood, if everything was B&W how were they able to paint using colours? And how did they know what they'd painted where?
    All painting was by numbers back then.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1586
    ^ As in  I, II, III, IV... ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Sassafras said:
    Our eyes have only recently evolved to see more than the primary colours.
    It wasn't until the 1930s we could see any colours at all.
    Everything was B&W.
    Many of our modern colours were actually invented to stop the fights that broke out over which was the cue ball in snooker games. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    edited May 2021 tFB Trader

I feel sure this is fake news, but seeing as how no one is alive today who can remember earlier than 1972 without dribbling and soiling their adult sized diapers, I guess we'll never know.
    I take that as a bit of an insult, I was born in 1946, and I can remember back Beyond 1972 no problem. I can remember the first gig I did in 1959 in our local youth club, I can also remember playing in the Marquee, Crooks Ferry, played with Long John Baldry several times at Crooks Ferry. I should add we were only playing there on the duff nights normally a Tuesday. The band I was in the Peasants who were the resident band at the London Tavern on an off through 65 66. We were booked to back DD Warwick at the London Cavern, unfortunately when she turned up she was expecting a full orchestra so it didn't happen. I'm alive and well, not wearing diapers yet.

Taken in 1966, I remember it well after this photo was taken we went on to Richmond Park to take some more photos but moved on by the police, don't know why. All we got was you can't do that here, move along please.

Edit :- I should've mentioned the first gig in 1959 I was in a skiffle band play in the wash board, we were pretty rubbish, playing mainly Lonnie Donegan songs. It wasn't for a year after that that I took up playing the Bass in The Shadows cover band.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    GSPBASSES said:

I remember it well after this photo was taken we went on to Richmond Park to take some more photos but moved on by the police, don't know why. All we got was you can't do that here, move along please.
    A bunch of badly-dressed young ruffians with those new-fangled electric "musical instruments", must be up to no good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Apparently Hurricane Higgins was the first human to be able to see in colour, especially after a pint or twelve.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    VimFuego said:
    merlin said:
    Has anyone else noticed that the three vehicles are red, white and blue? (Actually, red, blue, white but who's counting). Could this have been deliberate?
    Easy to forget now but other colours hadn't been invented in 1972. Orange first started to appear in 1974, mauve was created by Paul King the former banjo player from Mungo Jerry in 1976, there were a spate of new colours from the Americas in the late 1970s and pale green, although we take it for granted now, wasn't created until 1984/85 by research scientists at Unilever. 
    I feel sure this is fake news, but seeing as how no one is alive today who can remember earlier than 1972 without dribbling and soiling their adult sized diapers, I guess we'll never know.

Ah. The 1970s...
    When the footpaths were covered in dog shit, and the world smelt of people who had a bath once a week and wore nylon shirts...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    GSPBASSES said:

I take that as a bit of an insult, I was born in 1946, and I can remember back Beyond 1972 no problem. I can remember the first gig I did in 1959 in our local youth club, I can also remember playing in the Marquee, Crooks Ferry, played with Long John Baldry several times at Crooks Ferry. I should add we were only playing there on the duff nights normally a Tuesday. The band I was in the Peasants who were the resident band at the London Tavern on an off through 65 66. We were booked to back DD Warwick at the London Cavern, unfortunately when she turned up she was expecting a full orchestra so it didn't happen. I'm alive and well, not wearing diapers yet.

Taken in 1966, I remember it well after this photo was taken we went on to Richmond Park to take some more photos but moved on by the police, don't know why. All we got was you can't do that here, move along please.

Very posh, Richmond Park. They probably looked upon you as trouble making beatniks.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    Adey said:
    VimFuego said:
    merlin said:
    Has anyone else noticed that the three vehicles are red, white and blue? (Actually, red, blue, white but who's counting). Could this have been deliberate?
    Easy to forget now but other colours hadn't been invented in 1972. Orange first started to appear in 1974, mauve was created by Paul King the former banjo player from Mungo Jerry in 1976, there were a spate of new colours from the Americas in the late 1970s and pale green, although we take it for granted now, wasn't created until 1984/85 by research scientists at Unilever. 

Ah. The 1970s...
    When there were loads of great bands making innovative music and touring all the time. You could even see Black Sabbath, Free or Led Zeppelin for a quid back then. Most blokes even used deodorant. 
    FTFY  ;)
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Adey said:
    VimFuego said:
    merlin said:

Ah. The 1970s...
    When the footpaths were covered in dog shit, and the world smelt of people who had a bath once a week and wore nylon shirts...
    You forgot to mention copious cigarette smoking indoors.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Well... after a ridiculous amount of completely unproductive detective work on Google Earth I have identified where this picture was taken! It's actually a quite distinctive location - the street ends at a T-junction (visible in the skirt-up shot) at the north(ish) end judging by the shadows, and there's a large building at an oblique angle to the left at the south(ish) end where another street runs up to it. This is actually quite a rare combination.

After much time and effort I've found a location which corresponds to this - it's almost unrecognisable, because most of the buildings including the one with the big shutters have gone, but...

The building in the background in the skirt-up shot is recognisable. There are also several hole covers and patches in the pavement which match, the two lowered pavements on either side are still there, a kink in the pavement in the right place where the scooter is parked - there's actually a motorbike in almost the same place, in fact... shackled to a pole which has replaced the parking meter - and there's even a distinctive little nick in the tarmac at the junction of the two kerbstones next to it.

It's the north end of Fetter Lane where it runs up to Holborn. 51°31'2.31"N  0° 6'32.58"W

The building in the background is the HSBC, and the Mini was parked outside what is now Cooper's Quality Sandwiches.

I hate to think how many hours I've spent on this :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3706
    Back in 1989 I worked in that HSBC building - it was Midland then - and used to get my lunch from that sandwich shop!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    GSPBASSES said:

Edit :- I should've mentioned the first gig in 1959 I was in a skiffle band play in the wash board, we were pretty rubbish, playing mainly Lonnie Donegan songs. It wasn't for a year after that that I took up playing the Bass in The Shadows cover band.
    Im guessing you couldn't prove you'd bought your clothes in the ivy shop, so were brining the area into disrepute 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    edited May 2021
    ICBM said:
    Well... after a ridiculous amount of completely unproductive detective work on Google Earth I have identified where this picture was taken! It's actually a quite distinctive location - the street ends at a T-junction (visible in the skirt-up shot) at the north(ish) end judging by the shadows, and there's a large building at an oblique angle to the left at the south(ish) end where another street runs up to it. This is actually quite a rare combination.

After much time and effort I've found a location which corresponds to this - it's almost unrecognisable, because most of the buildings including the one with the big shutters have gone, but...

The building in the background in the skirt-up shot is recognisable. There are also several hole covers and patches in the pavement which match, the two lowered pavements on either side are still there, a kink in the pavement in the right place where the scooter is parked - there's actually a motorbike in almost the same place, in fact... shackled to a pole which has replaced the parking meter - and there's even a distinctive little nick in the tarmac at the junction of the two kerbstones next to it.

It's the north end of Fetter Lane where it runs up to Holborn. 51°31'2.31"N  0° 6'32.58"W

The building in the background is the HSBC, and the Mini was parked outside what is now Cooper's Quality Sandwiches.

I hate to think how many hours I've spent on this .

I'm absolutely amazed you managed to find that. You are the Fretboard's very own Columbo.
    The reason it probably looked so familiar to me is, years ago, back in the very early 80s I was a delivery driver for Rail Express Parcels, and the areas I covered were EC1 and EC4. I've driven down that road countless times. Although many years ago.
    Well done.
    Also, quite strange the Mini Cooper parked outside what is now 'Cooper's Quality Sandwiches.'