According to my social media flying V’s are back

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
I’m quite sure that the marketing department of Gibson have been working hard to get flying V’s into the hands of players that wouldn’t normally be associated with them. Recently I’ve seen a few notable modern blues (Matt Scofield) or popular YouTube players using them. I don’t know why I find this interesting but I’ve never liked V’s, I always thought they didn’t sound much different than an SG and they are infinitely more inconvenient (such as gig bags or playing sat down). 

Albert King aside they aren’t a guitar I’d attribute to the blues either. 

Anyone else noticed this trend?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4197
    I haven’t noticed the trend, but I disagree about the inconvenience: they’re the perfect gig backup guitar, because you can stand them anywhere :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3428
    edited May 2021
    I found myself fancying a V recently, for no reason I could discern, but it’s entirely possible I’ve been subtly influenced by Instagram.

I’ve given up on that idea because I can’t bring myself to pay 1500 quid for one...plus I’d really only like one with a Dean BFH.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4114
    They should make a flying v with a bit of a leg curve in the lower v so at least you can play with it in your lap.  Bloody annoying trying play a flying v at down. 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5507
    ^ You could try playing it like a cello or a double bass. :)
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    They should make a flying v with a bit of a leg curve in the lower v so at least you can play with it in your lap.  Bloody annoying trying play a flying v at down. 
    I've seen a V guitar such as you describe, but I cannot recall where I've seen it.

You may be interested in this Dean USA Kerry King V Limited Edition Electric Guitar with Custom Graphic.

The price will give you a heart attack.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean/USA-Kerry-King-V-Limited-Edition-Electric-Guitar-Custom-Graphic-1500000312828.gc?rNtt=dean kerry king v guitar&index=2

https://i.imgur.com/3ui9bpY.jpg
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader
    I love a nice V and have quite a few in build , including one for myself

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

Epiphone (I think) used to do a ribbed rubber patch on the bottom edge that was supposed to stop it sliding off your leg if you were sitting down. I don't think it worked very well though.

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24842
    Playing a V is not an easy look to pull off.

As a fat, middle aged man, I know I’d look ridiculous.

Playing a Flying V wouldn’t lessen this in any way….
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27149
    I've always been a fan of the Jim James approach. I'd love a V like that. Maybe a black guard rather than mirrored... 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12390
    They look really cool but I’ve always thought they look uncomfortable. As for not being associated with blues, I think a certain Mr Hendrix might’ve disagreed there. 

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4174

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4934
    The should just put a flip-out leg rest, like on the Steinbergers.

(They did try a rubberised strip on the lower edge, but that wasn't too great.)

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4934
    boogieman said:
    They look really cool but I’ve always thought they look uncomfortable. As for not being associated with blues, I think a certain Mr Hendrix might’ve disagreed there.

Are Savoy Brown considered to be blues?
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7158
    Surely you can play whatever music you like on a guitar?

I'd ignore all the, you can only play certain styles on specific guitars, as it is just following the herd, which is a recipe for cover band hell where you see every band mimicking the acts they cover or just loads of musical clones.   ;)

Back on topic, I do love a Flying V and yet I hated them when I was a teenager, so maybe it is an old man thing?  =)
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 372
    Philtre said:

Props for knowing Druid. Personally I think that the extremely high voice is more ridiculous.  :). I owned this album too. Keyboard player went on to write the Telletubbies music..
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4174

Props for knowing Druid. Personally I think that the extremely high voice is more ridiculous.  :). I owned this album too. Keyboard player went on to write the Telletubbies music..
    And the drummer is Cedric Sharpley who went on to play with Tubeway Army.

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    edited May 2021
    They are certainly a unique shape so if you fancied a change from a more 'traditional' shaped guitar, they might make a nice change, and they do give great upper fret access. Flying Vs certainly are iconic.

Andy Powell of Wishbone Ash still plays a V and it's his trademark, and of course Jimi Hendrix played one too.

And if a Gibson is a bit too pricey for a trial rummage, you can pick up an Epi flying V for £449 but you'll need to buy the case separately if you want one. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Voxman said:
    They are certainly a unique shape so if you fancied a more 'traditional' shaped guitar, they might make a nice change, and they do give great upper fret access. Flying Vs certainly are iconic.

Andy Powell of Wishbone Ash still plays a V and it's his trademark, and of course Jimi Hendrix played one too.

And if a Gibson is a bit too pricey for a trial rummage, you can pick up an Epi flying V for £449 but you'll need to buy the case separately if you want one. 

Or if that's still too much, someone on here has one of these and speaks very highly of it:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-Quincy-Flying-V-Electric-Guitar-Classic-Shape-Design-Authentic-Headstock-UK-/392948694829?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4194
    Philtre said:

How were they not ever as big as Yes or Rush ? Or at least some other prog bands , it’s not my kind of thing at all but watching this  it seems as palatable to me as those other two bands and much more enjoyable than a lot of others of the genre . His voice is disconcerting at first to be seen coming from a bloke with a big beard but it really fits in with what I know of the scene from the 70s , I can imagine my cousin or other people from that era who listened to stuff enjoying it 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11914
    The nicest V I've seen in many a year is Feline's take on JoBo's 'Amos'.  It looks superb (even unfinished) and you just know it's going to be sublime.  I'm losing sleep at night trying to figure out how I can either justify or hide the price-tag to/from Mrs Offset.  We need some new windows and external redecoration this year...