Sanding the back of my maple neck...

What's Hot
ElxElx Frets: 412
What would you guys do to seal the wood after you're done with the sanding...? I hate the sticky feel of it, I've decided it has to be done...Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Nothing.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 391
    it's bare wood and it's sticky? I imagine you must hate the finished necks then..
    What about sanding sealer, shellac or tru oil?
    There are people here who do some building so you'll get better replies
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    When I had a Strat with a glossy maple neck, I just rubbed the back of it down lightly with the scouring side of a kitchen sponge.

This removed the gloss without removing the lacquer, leaving it smooth and non-sticky.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7430
    I use 600 grade emery paper to knock the gloss off maple boards, gives a smooth non-sticky satin finish, but still leaves the poly finish in tact.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Just spray the neck with WD40 and it'll be as smooth as...  :D
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    If you're after a smooth satin finish on a gloss neck, I use grey- ultra fine scotchbrite pad, lightly, leaves a lovely satin feeling neck, but the neck is still sealed, it needs doing a couple of times a year as it will polish back up over time .
  • ElxElx Frets: 412
    Thanks guys, some good advice here!
  • Gun oil stuff.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    edited July 2014
    Just to echo the Scotchbrite pad advice - a friend of mine completely sanded the back of a maple neck and his sweat caused the grain to rise and it became an unpleasant feeling mess.

A completely unsealed maple neck is probably not a good idea, based on this.
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    This

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3646
    This

Nope, thats for trombone slides remember. but(ter) you got a lol anyway.

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3129
    For an unfinished look but sealed and silky, I take it down to the wood, give it a couple of coats of matt Ronseal hardglaze, let it properly dry (at least 2 weeks), then wire wool or 1000 grit wet and dry it, just to take the tops of the varnish off and not sanding the wood.
    For an unfinished look but sealed and silky, I take it down to the wood, give it a couple of coats of matt Ronseal hardglaze, let it properly dry (at least 2 weeks), then wire wool or 1000 grit wet and dry it, just to take the tops of the varnish off and not sanding the wood.
    I've decided to give it to a friend and I will suggest this. I know I would fuck it up...Thanks!
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5229
    Wouldn't just taking the top off the original finish with wire wool or wet and dry give the same result?
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 907
    Sand paper to the wood, then fine wire wool, then Danish oil. I did this to my Custom Shop Strat the day I bought it from the shop. Most people comment on the feel of the neck when they play it
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 907
    They say it's rough as arses! ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    They say it's rough as arses! ;)
    :) :)
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7430
    Be careful with wire wool if the neck is still on the guitar, as any loose bits will get attracted to the pickups. Try a light sanding with fine wet and dry first, it's quick and less destructive than stripping the neck. Can always strip the neck later if it's still too tacky. Wouldn't just taking the top off the original finish with wire wool or wet and dry give the same result?

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Premier guitar recommends finishing in 50/50 shellac and rubbing alcohol. Is this advice any good?
    http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Sanding_Your_Guitar_Neck_for_a_Smoother_Feel
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17501
    That essentially makes a simple French polish. Feels nice but not very resistant to moisture.

i prefer wet sanded oil, which i have documented a few times now