Sanding the back of my maple neck...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    @wezv I've had a trawl and found your thread for the oil finish. The tru oil one looks to be exactly what I'm thinking of.

It seems to be a very flexible finish and can be used on all woods but just to confirm, I will have no problems to doing this to a mahogany neck right?

For anyone interested in the tutorial, I've included a link below. http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/235/oil-finishes-little-tutorial-for-my-wet-sanded-oil-finish-technique#latest
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17501
    thanks for finding it, I couldn't be arsed ;)

yes, it will work on all woods.   I don't really like it on woods with massive pores like wenge or paduak, but it will be fine on mahogany.  

Mahogany will drink up a lot of oil in the early stages

here is a mahogany guitar i did

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    edited August 2014
    WezV said:
    thanks for finding it, I couldn't be arsed ;)

yes, it will work on all woods.   I don't really like it on woods with massive pores like wenge or paduak, but it will be fine on mahogany.  

Mahogany will drink up a lot of oil in the early stages

here is a mahogany guitar i did

I wish you'd stop posting pictures of the various Firebirds you've done.  They're bloody gorgeous and really give me GAS.  (Mind you, the only one I've ever played was a Tokai and it was awful).

Damn you, @WezV. ; Damn you.

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1542
    edited December 2020
    I have some Dark Grey scotchbrite pads left over from a paint spraying job. Would these be safe to use on the neck of my avri  52 tele neck and do i do the fretboard also. Cheers. Thread is an old one by the way!
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20603
    ^  Pretty sure that the Dark grey pad is going to be way too coarse & aggressive for the purpose. Particularly on such a valuable guitar.
    https://www.thetonerooms.com/threads/scotchbrite-grit-chart.3674/
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    edited December 2020
    I'm happy with the feel of all my necks and wouldn't dream of sanding any of them.  All are smooth, none get sticky. Apologies if this might be a daft question but whats the attraction of sanding? Is it just a feel preference, aesthetic, or because some folk have sweatier palms and have problems with gloss necks? 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    Voxman said:
    I'm happy with the feel of all my necks and wouldn't dream of sanding any of them.  All are smooth, none get sticky. Apologies if this might be a daft question but whats the attraction of sanding? Is it just a feel preference, aesthetic, or because some folk have sweatier palms and have problems with gloss necks? 
    I’m similar. 

For me my fingertips get gummy and sticky which hampers slides, mainly on the plain strings after a while. Just my shit chemistry I think. 

But the back of the neck I’ve never felt gets sticky or slow for me. 
    I guess I can feel a difference between satin and gloss but it seems so minimal, or maybe I’m just used to glossy necks.. 

I have a Tele, a Gretsch and an Ibanez, all of them satin finished necks and I really dont like them much. 
    I’ve found satin finishes, either on the neck or the body to ‘gum’ up after a while in the places most touched. 

I guess its oils from the skin which get embedded in the finish, like the typical shiny spots you see on matte guitars where the fingers touch regularly. I presume its the nature of a satin finish, under a microscope its rough, lots of crevices so light doesnt reflect etc, but that trap/get filled with grime maybe?

But no amount of cleaning will ever remove those areas on satin finishes, and for me, I can feel those areas (cowboy chord area on the neck for example) start to feel different, and they then do feel slower in those spots. But its the inconsistency from area to area that also makes me start to hate it. 

At least on gloss, I can wipe it down with a cloth after playing and remove the sweat/oils, or polish it with guitar polish and all is back to normal. 

Never had a problem with poly gloss necks across various brands, at least from what I can remember. But I get that the very nature of them can feel slower/stickier compared to satin.

The Gibson/Nitro element I did notice something. 

On my Lp Junior and before that a Dc tribute, I noticed what felt like a residue on my fretting hand after playing for a while, between my thumb and index finger, the area that contacts the back of the neck. 

Anyway this ‘residue’ built up and annoyed me and made my hand feel slow. But, on both guitars I polished the back of the neck quite thoroughly with Gibson pump polish and a clean cloth after playing, maybe over the course of 4 days and it went away fully. Now it just feels glassy and smooth like my poly ones do. 

No idea what it was, must be inherent to either nitro or to me or chemistry between the both.. maybe its my hand moisturiser I have to use.. but not sure why it only happens when new.. Unless the polishing has left a barrier perhaps. 

Sucks these days though for me! Seems like every guitar I look at has a satin neck :/ 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2020
    Voxman said:
    The finish on my tele gets quite sticky. The skin between Thumb and index finger rubs rather than slides
    ^  Pretty sure that the Dark grey pad is going to be way too coarse & aggressive for the purpose. Particularly on such a valuable guitar.
    Thanks mate. Will get some green pads and see how i get on.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 4212
    JAYJO said:

I bought a selection of different grade pads from eBay/Amazon - can't remember which now I'm afraid. Some useful information in this thread https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/189370/dulling-a-sticky-neck#latest
    Trading feedback thread:https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/172761/drofluf

Sporky: "Drofluf is a reverse vampire, who always appears in mirrors."
    drofluf said:
    JAYJO said:

I bought a selection of different grade pads from eBay/Amazon - can't remember which now I'm afraid. Some useful information in this thread https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/189370/dulling-a-sticky-neck#latest
    Cheers mate.