Guitar serial numbers in adverts

What's Hot
phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
edited May 2021 in Guitar
When selling a guitar is it a good idea to disclose the serial number. I see a lot of adverts where the serial is blocked out. Is there a good resion to do this 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4705
    No.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9655
    rlw said:
    No.
    Why?
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    rlw said:
    No.
    No? It is not a good idea to share the number

Or

No there is no good reason not to? 
    Ha, I misread the question as well! I can’t think of a logical reason not to. It could help reduce the scams where people steal photos from other listings. I have blurred them out in the past but don’t now.

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5431
    I think in the past people used to think that a SN was TMI and could be used to fraudulently lay claim to an item claiming it was stolen/lost or whatever... I think in a day when things are way more documented than ever that would be really hard to do though now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4705
    No reason not to show it.  If someone decides to try and sell your guitar based on your advert, as a scam, that has no effect on you.   And the serial number is a good way for people to check authenticity, providing the seller is straight and not a scammer.
    phil_b said:
    rlw said:
    No.
    No? It is not a good idea to share the number

Or

No there is no good reason not to? 

Yes.  Sharing the number isn't an issue to me and no, I can't see a reason not to.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30294
    The police took a dim view of me blacking out my car's number plates.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4929
    I can't see a downside of showing the s/n, unless you stole it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 477
    I read the title as guitar serial numbers in TV adverts! Like a quick shot of the back of a headstock of a guitar propped up against a sofa.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Depends on the guitar I'd presume? For a limited edition thing then I would be tempted to block the number out.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1351
    Blocking the serial numbe from an ad listing has always mystified me. I am genuinely interested to know what unwelcome consequence advertisers are concerned might result from displaying it?
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    GuyR said:
    Blocking the serial numbe from an ad listing has always mystified me. I am genuinely interested to know what unwelcome consequence advertisers are concerned might result from displaying it?
    Someone putting it on a counterfeit version of the advertised guitar? 
    Counterfeiters don’t usually go to that much trouble. Most of the Chibsons seem to have a serial number that could have appeared on a Gibson, but I don’t think they ever match up to the correct model. 
    edited May 2021
    GuyR said:
    Someone putting it on a counterfeit version of the advertised guitar? 
    I considered that, but wouldn't it be riskier for the counterfeiters to imitate a guitar currently advertised for sale than put on a random age appropriate number? There is nothing to gain by duplicating a number.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72441
    GuyR said:

I considered that, but wouldn't it be riskier for the counterfeiters to imitate a guitar currently advertised for sale than put on a random age appropriate number? There is nothing to gain by duplicating a number.
    There is if they duplicate one which matches a correct model description - it means a check with the original manufacturer on the fake serial will indicate it’s genuine.

It doesn’t even have to be counterfeiters either - just a simple scammer can make a note of it, *not* necessarily include it in the stolen pics, then give it to a prospective buyer if they ask for it to check the authenticity, which then seems to confirm it.

If you can’t think of scenarios where knowing a genuine serial number can’t be of use to someone dishonest, you aren’t thinking hard enough.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14474
    edited May 2021
    Sassafras said:
    The police took a dim view of me blacking out my car's number plates.
    Wrong approach.

A former work colleague of mine had new plates made when he bought a pre-owned car but "accidentally" left the protective film on them. This was highly reflective - to the point that the flash used with GATSO camera's would flare, rendering his index number unreadable.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    edited May 2021
    ICBM said:
    GuyR said:

There is if they duplicate one which matches a correct model description - it means a check with the original manufacturer on the fake serial will indicate it’s genuine.

It doesn’t even have to be counterfeiters either - just a simple scammer can make a note of it, *not* necessarily include it in the stolen pics, then give it to a prospective buyer if they ask for it to check the authenticity, which then seems to confirm it.

If you can’t think of scenarios where knowing a genuine serial number can’t be of use to someone dishonest, you aren’t thinking hard enough.

Fair points, I guess I am not suspicious enough by nature, although neither of the examples would disadvantage me if I were selling, for example, a vintage Fender and a professional counterfeiter would probably choose to avoid unnecessary risk by cloning a serial number not currently for sale.