Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Who's gigging tonight?

What's Hot

Comments

• carloscarlos Frets: 3449
    Last Saturday at the Dublin Castle in Camden, tonight was a live set for resonance FM
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10693
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    That looks incredible! My gig was in the much more humble and sparsely populated Dudley town centre. It went well, I've been trying out a closed back greenback loaded 2x12 cab with my ac30 and it's making me pretty damn happy.
  • Tonight (Saturday 7th), Crimson on Silver make our second trip to Leigh on Sea in Essex, The Ship.

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

It was indeed an incredible feeling cheers, and thanks, Mike, it went really well - it's such a weird and surreal experience that just doesn't come up every day. I recommend it! Would love to have my proper valve amp stack sound but never mind.. :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Viz you should have asked to borrow my DSL, all valve goodness, and a line-out so it can be plugged straight into the PA... 

I not at all jealous of the crowd either. No. Not Me. Not at all. (My biggest crowd - the Emperor.........)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

That could have been an idea thank you old chap, and as a matter of fact I am investigating that sort of thing. There's a good Brian May valve thingamywhotsit. Sometimes you just need some heads and 4x12s to stand in front of though dontcha?
    viz said:
    That could have been an idea thank you old chap, and as a matter of fact I am investigating that sort of thing. There's a good Brian May valve thingamywhotsit. Sometimes you just need some heads and 4x12s to stand in front of though dontcha?

Perfect for some "bedroom guitaring" (Bedroom noodling sounds so wrong.......)

A colleagues son, for his playing at home, has a 100w Marshall stack and a Gibson LP...........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

edited December 2013
    Yep I play at home with two Carvin 100w heads and two 4x12 cabs mwahahaha! (turned to 0.025 on the master vol.)
    At least on the DSL, at home, I can turn it higher than that (2, but at 4 it'll compete with a drummerist, and Manic's stack....)

:)
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    As a matter of interest Mike_l where do you set your channel volume and gain on the DSL?
    Don't touch that dial.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    The Bull, East Dereham (Suffolk). 

Third time this year so we must be doing something right... :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    edited December 2013
    Fez said:
    As a matter of interest Mike_l where do you set your channel volume and gain on the DSL?

Depends on how I feel.

Drive channel, gain anywhere from 25% to max, channel vol usually around 50%.

Clean channel gain usually around 50%, enough to cruch with high power pups, but cleaner than a clean thing with a strat

I have enough drive pedals that I can easily add more gain if I want

• Rock covers tonight with Blinkwatch at The Copper Pot in Leamington Spa.
    Mike_l Thanks
    Don't touch that dial.
    Fez said:
    Mike_l Thanks

You're welcome.

A Bad Monkey works well for extra gain on the drive channel. Actually, so does an MXR Zakk Wylde. And for a pure volume boost an MXR Microamp (single knob version) in the loop.

• Cirrus;99742" said:
    That looks incredible!

My gig was in the much more humble and sparsely populated Dudley town centre. It went well, I've been trying out a closed back greenback loaded 2x12 cab with my ac30 and it's making me pretty damn happy.
    @Cirrus where in Dudley? I can't think of a regular venue anywhere in central Dudley anymore?
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    A place called "the courthouse". Pub downstairs, 1920s ball room upstairs with stage lights and PA. They've been putting on gigs for a year or so, ran by 'the Baseline Studios" who are a local rehearsal/recording complex. Last night was the Shed in Leicester, alongside Chrome Molly who I think had some success in the 1980s, and two amazingly good bands, one was a bunch of 17/18 year olds and the other playing awesomely tight metal were all 13!
    Mike_l
    Which DSL is yours mine is the 401 combo and has a parallel effects loop and doesn't seem to like a boost in the loop (the serial loop on the jcm 900 is much better) or is there some trick to the set up?

Cheers
    Don't touch that dial.