SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sold. Gretsch Master-built Anniversary - 1959 Smoke Green

What's Hot
TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7878
edited June 2021 in Guitars £
For sale, my beloved Gretsch 1959 Smoke Green Anniversary. 

Part of a limited run, 59 were supposed to be made, but it’s believed that less than 30 were actually completed (due to increasing custom shop orders), with only about 3 or 4 coming to Europe.  I’ve only ever seen one other for sale, and that was for £4000. 

I’ve had this for about 11 or 12 years, and it is honestly my favourite guitar, but my guitar playing isn’t as good as it used to be (same old riffs over and over) and I die to intense workload, I don’t have the time to challenge myself.  I figured a beautiful instrument like this should be in that hands of someone who can play it and challenge it better than in can.  I feel guilty have it, truth be told. 

This was built back in the very early days of the custom shop when Steve Stern actually built every guitar the custom shop sold, nowadays he had a large team of builders, and they have started using some prebuilt parts. 

It’s lacquer finished, and covered in checking from the custom shop, it’s looks amazing.  I love the colour, i’m not a blingy person, one of the reasons I don’t like the White Falcon is all that gold bling - I love the plain Jane looks of this humble Annie, but this hides its best asset….it looks understated, but sound truly fearsome. 

Frets are excellent, finish and hardware is all factory, case is perfect, all paperwork present and correct.  

Feel in the hands, just like the Japanese models, it’s correct. So it actually just like the Japanese Anniversaries.  Neck is different though, most Annie’s have a modern C, this has a nice V, but soft and rounded, very comfortable in the hands. 

It does not sound like a Japanese Anniversary. A Japanese Annie is a beautiful thing, articulate, clean, clear, well presented. Sensible sounding, a predictable Gretsch sound. 

This thing snarls, bites, is fierce.  It’s the best sounding Gretsch in the world!  It honestly reminds of of Setzers 59, with all that magic in the tone. It makes every other Gretsch I’ve had sound flat, boring, conservative, and frankly a bit dull, and it’s seen off several Japanese Annie’s, a jet, a country club, and a Black Phoenix.  It’s honestly a snarling bestie.   It’s got TV Jones Classics, which have the least umph of any TV Jones pickup, so there is either something special in the build, or some secret sauce in the custom shop pickups, or I suspect, a bit of both, because the output is more snarly than any other set of TV Classics I’ve ever heard. 

Pickups are perfectly setup by the custom shop, with the pickups mounted on wooden shims.  They are not height adjustable they’re perfect where they are.  This is how Gretsch pickups should be setup:

Bridge is a space control, but the hardware on the custom shop models is better built than the Japanese models,  built to higher tolerances. This bridge doesn’t move/rattle or affect the sound, I’ve never felt the need to pop a Compton on.  It’s superb. Knurling on the knobs is sharp, these were cut not cast. 

Open back tuners hold tuning very well, nut is perfectly cut, Ebony board is clean and in superb order. Comes with leather strap which was supplied by the custom shop along with the guitar.

This guitar is sensitive to the seasons, and it will need occasional adjustment. I have it professionally set up twice a year.  It’s setup for 11’s (it prefers 11’s).  Will get a fresh pro setup and new strings to new owners tastes.  

Action is low, comfortable, spot on. Radius 12” (as with all Annie’s) 

So, come buy the best sounding handmade USA built Gretsch for less than the price of a new generic sounding Japanese one. 

£2700. 

Based in High Wycombe.  Quick, before I change my mind. 

Photos https://imgur.com/a/ckPvQP1

more photos. https://imgur.com/a/01D92Ob

Thanks for looking

Marlin
0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7197
    I’d sleep on that sale if I were you - it’s beyond beautiful and I think you’ll regret it and pay way more to get one back !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3219
    edited June 2021
    There simply aren’t enough wows for this one, only being able to give one doesn’t seem enough.

I think Con is right, you’ll regret letting this go.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Caffeine_VampireCaffeine_Vampire Frets: 3479
    edited June 2021
    Ye Gods! 

Keep her.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7878
    I know I will regret it, but honestly, my guitar playing is not getting any better, and my free time is under serious threat with my new role. 

I truly love this guitar, but it’s like owning the worlds best racehorse, and keeping it locked up in a stable.  I feel like I’ve caged it, and should let it run free again. 
  • I'd love it but it's beyond my means. Is there no chance your situation will level out and allow you to go back to playing more?
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • melodmelod Frets: 136
    Oh no! Paul , I wouldn’t do that.

I would have it in a flash just I am aware of my laziness in maintaining guitars like this.

oh the itch!
    I'd love it but it's beyond my means. Is there no chance your situation will level out and allow you to go back to playing more?
    New role is very very demanding, and mentally exhausted at the end of the first week.  I feel the time is right to release it back into the wild. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5759
    edited June 2021
    A guitar from a time and place when the phrases Custom Shop and Master Built really meant exactly that. And what you haven’t mentioned is that is has quite simply the best ageing job I’ve ever seen. Really is ageing and not at all relicing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    Silly Marlin..........you know you'll be hunting it down in a matter of months
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Wow. Colour me shocked. 
    And it’s gone!
    Quickest sale ever?
    Quickest sale ever?
    Quality always wins out ;)
    TheMarlin said:
    Quickest sale ever?
    Quality always wins out ;)
    It definitely does that, though the rather fantastic price no doubt helped nudge the buyer. :) Glad you got your sale, though I’m still sure you’ll regret it. 
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    edited June 2021
    Snooze you loose! I’ve been wanting a Stern Gretsch for years and was talking myself into it....well more how to explain to my heavily pregnant wife I’ve bought an expensive guitar...

Saved me some earache I’m sure.
    Hope it’s gone to a good home... Super cool guitar !

• tomajohatomajoha Frets: 906
    Bargain of the century that, as @AlexO says I hope it’s gone to a good home, the Stephen Sterns are as good as any builder out there 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Police are reporting the mugging of a man in the High Wycombe area...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9552
    Lovely, honest write up Mate, and a lovely guitar. 
    Thanks. Very kind. It should be with its new owner on Sunday. There will likely be a NGD thread forthcoming, and the mystery owner revealed…
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    TheMarlin said:
    Thanks. Very kind. It should be with its new owner on Sunday. There will likely be a NGD thread forthcoming, and the mystery owner revealed…
    Very pleased it's going to somebody on the forum.