The ones what got away...

What's Hot
OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
Or, if you will, the rockers who kinda rolled out and disappeared off the horizon. That is, in layman's terms, bands who kinda appeared and did something epic. Once. And then vanished off the scene. So, here's a few personal highlights...

Sound quality isn't amazing on this video, but sensational Irish band JADED SUN. Love this song. Love the album "Gypsy Trip". They seem to have a few things popping up on iTunes. But nothing seems to quite hit the mark like the album did. Try if you like Rival Sons, JET, and bands who sound like them (or rather the ones that came before... including Led Zep, The Quireboys, AC/DC, The Black Crowes)! 

Next up is PRIDE TIGER who I would say remind me most of Thin Lizzy. They made one album and then fizzled out quickly. They were signed to the label Classic Rock mag ran, Powerage (I think that's what it was called?)

I wouldn't be able to go without mentioning SILVERTIDE. I love this band. The one album they've made. And I just wee'd myself a little the other day 'cos I learned apparently they're reforming and there's a new single on the way. If it even comes close to the stuff that was on Show & Tell, it'll be worth the 10 year hiatus. 

Then there was these guys, DIRTY AMERICANS. Yeah OK they made a second album but the one that really counts was the first. And here's my favorite song off it...

Who could forget PRIESTESS? They made a second album (but it was shit). This song featured on Guitar Hero.

Then there's a small matter of BADLANDS. They made one album and that hurts my soul that they never got anywhere beyond. Love the vocals. And there's some sweet-ass riffs too. 

Another favourite of mine has to be HURRICANE PARTY. Again, while they made a couple of albums, and they changed names a handful, their output was relatively under-recognised. Here's them as Hurricane Party...

Then there was STONE GODS. Formed of 3 parts The Darkness and 1 parts... Toby whathisname who played with either Graham Coxon and/or Blur at some time, they made one album and then something happened - a second was in the works and then The Darkness happened again. This track didn't appear on the album but it's by far my favourite song of theirs. 

And finally, I love love love this - one album, disappeared. It was all over far too quickly. It's THE BLACK VELVETS

Alright it's someone else's turn now! Blow my mind, please... :) 
Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    There is a theme here why these people have vanished without a trace....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    The La's. Vanished because they were too perfectionist to release another album.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Joe Dolce.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2916
    edited August 2014
    Swervedriver

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • “Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5883
    I always thought this was a great song from around 2000, it was played a lot on my local radio back in the day but it failed to chart.

The album was mostly a solo effort from a guy credited as "D.L" who is Dawm Lanten from Bournemouth apparently, but there were some guest musicians on the album too, Blue Weaver was one. I think "D.L" is still involved in music, but should have had more recognition.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12530
    Lewis Taylor. A little Jewish guy from north London who had a voice like Marvin Gaye, played great guitar and wrote ( mostly) awesome songs. He did four or five albums, most are excellent funk tinged soul, one is a weird Beach Boys type thing. He never cracked the market and just gave up, although he was playing bass in the Edgar Broughton Band at one time.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Sven Gali

an early 90's Canadian (?) rock band with a good sense of melody, until the second album where they tried to go all grunge/alternative and lost their way.

Also

Skyscraper, a London-based (I think) early 90's band, 2 albums then nothing (as far as I can tell) 

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ElxElx Frets: 412
    @Octahedron, Badlands had 2 albums, Voodoo Highway and Badlands, I like the Voodoo Highway more, maybe because it was the first one I heard...Killer playing by Jake E Lee, such a shame Ray Gillen died so young...Jake is back with Red Dragon Cartel now, but I don't like it...
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3111
    I know I put them forward last time but ... Warrior Soul. I saw them supporting Metallica in 1990 and their 1st album still does it for me. Timing as ever was crucial - Nirvana just washed this kind of stuff away overnight.

"A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 699
    Elx said:
    @Octahedron, Badlands had 2 albums, Voodoo Highway and Badlands, I like the Voodoo Highway more, maybe because it was the first one I heard...Killer playing by Jake E Lee, such a shame Ray Gillen died so young...Jake is back with Red Dragon Cartel now, but I don't like it...
    Me neither, but I saw them live recently and it comes over a helluva a lot better live tbh. And it seemed that at least half the set was Badlands material anyway so was rather happy in the end.
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    capo4th said:
    There is a theme here why these people have vanished without a trace....
    Because they don't conform to the masses and they're not manufactured. :) 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372
    A band that not many have heard of is Halo - they had one hit - Sanctimonious - but 'Here I Am'  I think is sublime:

• Army of anyone .

Two parts of stone temple pilots , singer from filter and a drummer .

They made one album and very little touring before the DeLeo brothers went back to STP.

Possibly one of my favourite 'rock' albums of all time. Plus, on YouTube they've got all the songs being played live in a practise room.

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Hurricane Party mostly became Heaven's Basement when they got rid of their manager / co-writer, still a broadly similar sound to what they were doing before though. 
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    HB used to be good. Then the original singer quit. They have some commercial success now but I'm not keen. 
  • Not guitar music but the Postal Service.  I really like their album.  Try if you like soft sounding synth pop.

For guitar stuff:

Fair To Midland - They released an IMO pretty cool album called Arrows and Anchors then pretty much as far as I can see imploded.  Try if you like a real mixture of heavy rock genres, they cover a fair bit of ground stylistically.

Opening track (probably my favourite) - 

A much heavier band, The Human Abstract are another band that released one good album called Digital Veil then pretty much disintegrated.  Really quite heavy but their stuff went from tech metal to almost muse/classical inspired prog.

Title track (tech metal) - 

IanSavage said:
    Hurricane Party mostly became Heaven's Basement when they got rid of their manager / co-writer, still a broadly similar sound to what they were doing before though. 
    Didn't they play as Roadstar (I think) around 2006? If so I saw them at Milton Keynes, and they were pretty good.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• iseverynamegoneiseverynamegone Frets: 1576
    edited August 2014
    I always thought this single from monster land was one of the best of its time , 93 .

And what about everyone's second favourite Canadian Band Sloan from 92